What's new

Dignity and the Wet shave

April 24, 2024
Can’t we all just get along?

There is a lot of talk these days about “America First”. While I don’t want to get into a political and socio-economic discussion on the topic, I would note that we have a big, beautiful planet filled with wonderful people and their works. A couple of weeks ago, I learned about some of the stifling tariffs facing Canada and the EU for items as mundane as shaving brushes and razors. It seemed sad to me that so many of us must pay up to double an item’s original cost because some politicians decided that paying the going market rate for these items was somehow ‘bad’. Would importing a badger brush from Germany really bring down the Canadian Shaving Brush economy? Would buying a Blackland Blackbird really cause hardship to European manufactures of razors? Maybe, but I’d have to see the data to be convinced.

As I shaved these past few days, it occurred to me that more than half of my shaving gear, soaps and colognes come from places beyond the U.S. boarders. Collectively, my shaving experience is better because of the global economy. My razors are from the US, Germany, Portugal, Canada and France. The blades I use are from Russia, India, China, Germany, the U.S., Greece, and Japan. Most of my brushes have Badger hair from China. My finished brushes are from the US, UK, Canada, Italy and Germany. I use Soaps and creams from Italy, the US, France and the UK made from ingredients source from Africa and South America. My colognes are from Italy, France, Scandinavia, the UK and the US.

If I were a whisker, a global approach to shaving would have me scared. I wonder what else we might collectively achieve were we to spend more time collaborating and less time fighting each other?

Today’s shave of the day, as narrated by a whisker:

IMG_5631.jpg

We made great advances earlier in the week, and we brothers in arms had seen the light of day. As we stretched skyward from our roots, we had hoped for a moment when we might have a thriving open-air community. But that was not to pass. Not yet.

At 0730 on the 22nd of April, a skirmish line opened up on the right cheek when a blue invader from Phoenix flew across our domain for a softening up exercise. No damage was immediately done, but the troops found it difficult to duck and cover following the attack. Immediately after the first wave, we were attacked by a thick cream like substance smelling like citrus, also launched by the Americans. While it had little impact on our boys, it softened the ground they sprang from, making it difficult for them to stand against the forthcoming invaders.

Next up was a combined attack from the Italians, with their ceramic Pereira weapons platform, chemical weapons from the US and Italy, and deployment systems from Germany and the UK. The Germans spearheaded the assault on days 1 and 3 with a state-of-the-art Wald synthetic system; the Brits came at us on day two, in collaboration with the Chinese using their Simpson’s fan. On all three days, the enemy came at us without mercy. Each of our soldiers succumbed to drowning and tallow inhalation sickness.

But the enemy was just getting started. Across the three days, long range attack craft came at us from U.S.' Thorn and France's La Faulx, supported by precision weapons from Russia and Japan.

Our boys had no chance; they were mowed down where they stood.

Adding insult to injury, our enemies came at us for a mopping up exercise with dehydration agents from Italy and the US. In preparation for aggressive questioning from the press, the enemy coalition doused the ground above us with a pleasant, scented liquid provided by the Britts for two days straight. When Le Monde came in on day 3, the enemies attacked us with a similar product from France.

Damn the enemy coalition!, we are no match for them. The best we can hope for is their future countenance. Until then, we fight on!

Attachments

• IMG_5634.jpg
    IMG_5634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I wonder what else we might collectively achieve were we to spend more time collaborating and less time fighting each other?
We've been asking that for decades, if not centuries, pal. Then it's back into the politician/leaders hands and unfortunately the autocrat/dictators as well who decide we're not gonna get along and do all the things we (the people) would rather they didn't. It's a uniquely human failing.

@BigAlVista "Damn the enemy coalition!, we are no match for them. The best we can hope for is their future countenance. Until then, we fight on!"
Umm, hang on...aren't the whiskers the "enemy" and the global coalition the heroes vanquishing the enemy?

Fb48.gif

Last edited:
We've been asking that for decades, if not centuries, pal. Then it's back into the politician/leaders hands and unfortunately the autocrat/dictators as well who decide we're not gonna get along and do all the things we (the people) would rather they didn't. It's a uniquely human failing.
Not sure it's entirely human. Chimps seem to behave that way as well. You might watch an episode or two of Chimp Empire. Very enlightening.

On a separate note, I may have had my best shave ever this morning. The La Faulx + with a Captain Titan Mild (6th shave with that blade). I couldn't feel any stubble after the second pass with minor touch ups. No alum sting at all. That shave was as close to a '10' as I've ever had.

It's not hard to get a really good shave - I can get them from any of the razors I have...Merker 39c, Leaf Thorn, Timeless .95, Tatara Muramasa, Rex Konsul, OneBlade, Henson + and ++, Blackbird Lite, SB and OC, Razorock Slant 1++, 2++, and Hawk (with any of the three plates), and, of course the La Faulx... really, any of them - provided the right blade and prep.

But... A world class, irritation free shave? That's rarer and had one this morning.

I'm pretty sure the formula for me is a moderately efficient razor with a rigid, moderately sharp blade with just a bit of exposure. I think I'll continue with the La Faulx until the Kai blade dies. then switch to the Hawk OC until the Feather Pro blade in there is dead, then cut back to the OneBlade and run through a half dozen shaves (that is to say 3 blades). Then I'll start over with the DE razors.

Also, though it's not in today's pic, I received my Wald A1. The Wald brushes are really interesting, and not just from an aesthetic perspective. I lathered the A1 against an SV puck to see if the super low backbone in the A1 can actually lather a puck. It took about double the normal time, but worked fine. I will probably reserve the Delphi and A1 to for use with creams going forward. What I will say about the Wald brushes is that they are the smoothing bristles that have ever been against my face and beautiful to look at.

I may be ready for a bit of acquisition abstinence at this point. I have years' worth of soaps, blades, creams and colognes, 6 each of 2-band, 3-band and synthetic brushes, and the razors called out above.

Time to sit back and enjoy the kit!

April 24, 2024
Can’t we all just get along?

There is a lot of talk these days about “America First”. While I don’t want to get into a political and socio-economic discussion on the topic, I would note that we have a big, beautiful planet filled with wonderful people and their works. A couple of weeks ago, I learned about some of the stifling tariffs facing Canada and the EU for items as mundane as shaving brushes and razors. It seemed sad to me that so many of us must pay up to double an item’s original cost because some politicians decided that paying the going market rate for these items was somehow ‘bad’. Would importing a badger brush from Germany really bring down the Canadian Shaving Brush economy? Would buying a Blackland Blackbird really cause hardship to European manufactures of razors? Maybe, but I’d have to see the data to be convinced.

As I shaved these past few days, it occurred to me that more than half of my shaving gear, soaps and colognes come from places beyond the U.S. boarders. Collectively, my shaving experience is better because of the global economy. My razors are from the US, Germany, Portugal, Canada and France. The blades I use are from Russia, India, China, Germany, the U.S., Greece, and Japan. Most of my brushes have Badger hair from China. My finished brushes are from the US, UK, Canada, Italy and Germany. I use Soaps and creams from Italy, the US, France and the UK made from ingredients source from Africa and South America. My colognes are from Italy, France, Scandinavia, the UK and the US.

If I were a whisker, a global approach to shaving would have me scared. I wonder what else we might collectively achieve were we to spend more time collaborating and less time fighting each other?

Today’s shave of the day, as narrated by a whisker:

View attachment 1834963

We made great advances earlier in the week, and we brothers in arms had seen the light of day. As we stretched skyward from our roots, we had hoped for a moment when we might have a thriving open-air community. But that was not to pass. Not yet.

At 0730 on the 22nd of April, a skirmish line opened up on the right cheek when a blue invader from Phoenix flew across our domain for a softening up exercise. No damage was immediately done, but the troops found it difficult to duck and cover following the attack. Immediately after the first wave, we were attacked by a thick cream like substance smelling like citrus, also launched by the Americans. While it had little impact on our boys, it softened the ground they sprang from, making it difficult for them to stand against the forthcoming invaders.

Next up was a combined attack from the Italians, with their ceramic Pereira weapons platform, chemical weapons from the US and Italy, and deployment systems from Germany and the UK. The Germans spearheaded the assault on days 1 and 3 with a state-of-the-art Wald synthetic system; the Brits came at us on day two, in collaboration with the Chinese using their Simpson’s fan. On all three days, the enemy came at us without mercy. Each of our soldiers succumbed to drowning and tallow inhalation sickness.

But the enemy was just getting started. Across the three days, long range attack craft came at us from U.S.' Thorn and France's La Faulx, supported by precision weapons from Russia and Japan.

Our boys had no chance; they were mowed down where they stood.

Adding insult to injury, our enemies came at us for a mopping up exercise with dehydration agents from Italy and the US. In preparation for aggressive questioning from the press, the enemy coalition doused the ground above us with a pleasant, scented liquid provided by the Britts for two days straight. When Le Monde came in on day 3, the enemies attacked us with a similar product from France.

Damn the enemy coalition!, we are no match for them. The best we can hope for is their future countenance. Until then, we fight on!
leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Bravo my friend, bravo.

April 26, 2024
No good turn ever goes unpunished.

A few weeks back, my mother suggested that we get the family together. Great idea. I offered to host. I sent out invitations to my kids, my sister and her kids, my folks, spouses and fiancés for April 22. Then my folks said that would not work.

OK, so I tried for April 23rd. That was a problem as well. After several hours of calls back and forth, we agreed on tonight, April 26th.

In preparation, my wife and I made an 8 lb brisket and a big pot of chicken soup and popped it all in the freezer. We bought deserts and fixings, and popped those in the freezer as well. The fancy linen and crystal came out. It was beginning to feel a lot like Christmas at our home

Then my mom came down with COVID. She’s fine, but we don’t want everyone getting sick, so she and my pop won’t be coming. My sister will be up for Mother’s Day, so she and her husband won’t be coming. My older son and his Fiancé need to leave by 7:30 as they have a social obligation. One of my nephews and his wife wouldn’t be able to get here until 8:30, so they bailed.

Anyone want a quart of chicken soup and some brisket?

Today’s SOTD:

For the past few days, I’ve been enjoying my Atelier Durdan La Faulx +. It’s really an outstanding razor and is pretty close to perfect when paired with a Captain Titan Mild. Yesterday and today, I paired it up with Stirling Executive Man shave cream and SV cologne. Wanting to really enjoy the experience, I lathered with a pair of R. Vey brushes; one of Ukrainian bog oak (today), the other from an old AofS Nickel handle (yesterday). Both have Shavemac D01 3-band badger knots.

Great shaves. Super close. Almost no alum feedback. Though I lost count, I think I’m somewhere between 8 and 10 shaves in on that blade. It still has life in it.

So, while it will be a relatively early, short and intimate family gathering, at least I’ll look good ;)

IMG_5637.jpeg

April 26, 2024
No good turn ever goes unpunished.

A few weeks back, my mother suggested that we get the family together. Great idea. I offered to host. I sent out invitations to my kids, my sister and her kids, my folks, spouses and fiancés for April 22. Then my folks said that would not work.

OK, so I tried for April 23rd. That was a problem as well. After several hours of calls back and forth, we agreed on tonight, April 26th.

In preparation, my wife and I made an 8 lb brisket and a big pot of chicken soup and popped it all in the freezer. We bought deserts and fixings, and popped those in the freezer as well. The fancy linen and crystal came out. It was beginning to feel a lot like Christmas at our home

Then my mom came down with COVID. She’s fine, but we don’t want everyone getting sick, so she and my pop won’t be coming. My sister will be up for Mother’s Day, so she and her husband won’t be coming. My older son and his Fiancé need to leave by 7:30 as they have a social obligation. One of my nephews and his wife wouldn’t be able to get here until 8:30, so they bailed.

Anyone want a quart of chicken soup and some brisket?

Today’s SOTD:

For the past few days, I’ve been enjoying my Atelier Durdan La Faulx +. It’s really an outstanding razor and is pretty close to perfect when paired with a Captain Titan Mild. Yesterday and today, I paired it up with Stirling Executive Man shave cream and SV cologne. Wanting to really enjoy the experience, I lathered with a pair of R. Vey brushes; one of Ukrainian bog oak (today), the other from an old AofS Nickel handle (yesterday). Both have Shavemac D01 3-band badger knots.

Great shaves. Super close. Almost no alum feedback. Though I lost count, I think I’m somewhere between 8 and 10 shaves in on that blade. It still has life in it.

So, while it will be a relatively early, short and intimate family gathering, at least I’ll look good ;)

View attachment 1836048
Indeed that sounds like a great meal! Actually my dear wife has a brisket in the smoker as we speak. She put it on at 4 am this morning and should come out around 4 pm. Cannot wait! Brisket is the way I judge if a new BBQ restaurant is any good.

Indeed that sounds like a great meal! Actually my dear wife has a brisket in the smoker as we speak. She put it on at 4 am this morning and should come out around 4 pm. Cannot wait! Brisket is the way I judge if a new BBQ restaurant is any good.
I love smoked Brisket. It's almost time for an order with Snake River Farms!

From beneath it's sheath, the big green egg beckons...
IMG_5638.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom