What's new

Difference in blade width?

Im going to be purchasing a 4/8 dovo inox from a member here, and from what i know, 5/8 is typical... a more "well known" and "widely used" size... was merely wondering what most of you consider the advantages and disadvantages to the differences in size?

me, myself... i plan on growing my goatee back (merely cut it down because i wanted to take off anything that grew on my head to test out my DE :D lol and i already shave my head so...) and the primary (or at least the most appealing) reason for me getting a str8 is so i can get geometric lines on my goatee and moustache... for this, ive heard smaller ones are better... but will the size pose any problems with shaving the rest of my face as well?

Never tried anything as small as a 4/8. I have one 5/8, several 6/8 and one 7/8. To me, the larger razors give a smoother, nicer (easier?) shave. I won't buy anything smaller than 6/8 at this point. But everyone's preference is just that.... Only you can say what works best for you.

Enjoy!

Ken

I have a 4/8 Puma and Henckel that are excellent shavers. Not my favorite to shave with but will deliver a great shave and actually to me a little easier to shave with I tend to use them when I am rushed.

The smaller ones will shave just fine if they are sharp enough. But smaller razors are a little trickier to hone.

For what you're thinking about a square-point (aka "spike") 5/8 will do just fine. Most american-made razors have this style tip, will take and hold a really great edge, and are relatively inexpensive on ebay.

ive already got a razor in the works, its a dovo inox... 4/8... seems pretty nice, the guy says it just needs to be professionally honed. would 1/8 of an inch really make that big of a different in smoothness? (O_O)

ive already got a razor in the works, its a dovo inox... 4/8... seems pretty nice, the guy says it just needs to be professionally honed. would 1/8 of an inch really make that big of a different in smoothness? (O_O)

It all depends there are a lot more variables then just a 1/8". For one it adds weight not just width and then there is shape, material, ground, length etc. So to answer your question there may be no difference at all all the way up to a huge difference.

I have a few 4/8s and find they shave every bit as good as larger razors. Remember its the edge that cuts not the spine. If I took an 8/8s meat chopper and a 4/8s hollow ground and magnified the edge on both and thats all you saw you couldn't tell which was which and thats what your beard sees.

yeah... i just want to make sure more than anything, that the weight will still be there, obviously not as much as a 6/8 or more... but enough to get a good shave :)

The smaller ones will shave just fine if they are sharp enough. But smaller razors are a little trickier to hone.

+1 The smaller ie: thinner blades are trickier to hone and stropping must be done with an attention to not lifting the spine on the stroke... however I too keep my beard all year round and the main reason I use a straight razor is the nice straight lines that I get on my cheeks and neck, the smaller razors handle better around facial hair... one of my favorites is a 3/8's Fillarmonica still on sale at Classic Shaving for $39.99.....All that being said I still have about 20 Razors that I use in a rotation the only one that actually doesn't work all that great is a Boker King Cutter 7/8 and only because of the way the tip is designed. One suggestion when shaving around facial hair that I have found also is that you want the heel of the blade to be super sharp so you can cut individual hairs around your goatee so pay particular attention to it when honing and stropping... have fun :thumbup1:

Glen

so you think the part closest to the tang is best suited for "intricate" work? i would have thought the tip... thank you :)

so you think the part closest to the tang is best suited for "intricate" work? i would have thought the tip... thank you :)

It will probably depend on the part of your face you are working on. Sometimes it the tip and sometimes the heel. Just make sure that while using the heel, the tip isn't cutting something else....:eek:

Jordan

As another poster has replied, it really depends. A spike tip is good for detailing because it has a crisp corner so you don't have to guess where the sharp part ends. But the heel is closer to your thumb and fingers so you have more fine control over it. And if you're using the heel make sure to pay attention where the other end is or you're likely to collect a nice scar :)

Top Bottom