What's new

Did we learn something from those technical posts about pre-shave prep?

I can't find the posts about beard strength and hydration and what was ideal.

But, my take-away was that just water was enough (for a couple of minutes). Room-temperature was good, and so was cold water.

I do still use a really *small* amount of regular soap along with some water for my pre-shave.

I don't shower before my shaves.

Apparently, this much should be sufficient.

im no expert and am not sure what thread you are referring to, but i have to imagine it really just depends on what an individual's skin type responds well to. some may need more prep than others to mitigate discomfort. i personally notice a difference when using a pre shave product.

im no expert and am not sure what thread you are referring to, but i have to imagine it really just depends on what an individual's skin type responds well to. some may need more prep than others to mitigate discomfort. i personally notice a difference when using a pre shave product.
I would theorize that some soap would be useful in removing some of the oils off your whiskers, so that water can better penetrate the hairs, and make them more hydrated for cutting with ease.

I would theorize that some soap would be useful in removing some of the oils off your whiskers, so that water can better penetrate the hairs, and make them more hydrated for cutting with ease.

That's the gist of it. Wash your face with mild soap/cleaner to remove the oil film. Let the whiskers soak in water for two or three minutes at least. Warm (not hot) water will speed the process up, but lukewarm or cold water will also work with a bit more time.

Nearly all professional barbers will use some sort of pre shave hot towel and/or oil/cream. Worth it?....depends what your particular skin can tolerate as has been said above. For me rubbing a bit of facial scrub on to the face has the most benefit in raising the whiskers and stubble, For added skin protection and slickness I've found coconut oil or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) is better than oil and creams especially in using hand soap for lathering.

I almost always shave in the evening... contrary to the false myths of always shaving in the morning
I don't do pre-shave or excessive skin preparation, but it all depends on how your skin reacts, it's all extremely subjective... who will tell you one thing, who another... you just have to find what's best for your face

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
There’s stuff at the start of this link. Take away is water softens beard hair. If shaving under water, warmer water softens beard hair more. If shaving in front of the sink or in the shower or over the graves of your enemies, water softens beard hair…

I believe most of the data is from the 1970s and all of it applies to softening beard hair and measuring cutting forces independent of how it affects one’s skin or the closeness of one’s shave. Also, not all pre-shave is for merely softening hair making one’s skin softer and more supple.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This. Of course, this. Different skin, different beard would logically result in different prep.

I tried one pre-shave many years ago and it didn't make a difference for me (I should try another with this old man's white, stiff beard). I concluded that it didn't work for me, not that it didn't work for anyone.

I shave after my shower and spend a fair amount of effort keeping my face wet the entire time. On the rare occasion I've shaved without the shower it has taken quite some time with warm, wet towels to prep the face. I'm sure there are at least a couple of shavers here who just wash the face and immediately shave with great results. Different face, different beard.

You'll never know until you experiment a bit.

I have always found hydrating the skin well with water makes the best prep for shaving. Shower or not makes no difference. I was not a fan of any pre-shave intil I tried Grooming Department, it works, and the tub lasts for ever. A sharp blade will slice whiskers on well hydrated slick skin.

Fortunately, I'm not in a situation where I HAVE to shave regularly (if at all). I've gone months without shaving at all, and it's been years since I shaved daily. Long story short, if I do a preshave ritual, it's because I have time and I'm in the mood to do so. It's about relaxing and feeling good about myself. I don't need a scientific justification for it.

I can't find the posts about beard strength and hydration and what was ideal.

It was probably me banging on about the content of the study that @thombrogan linked to. I have said it elsewhere, but I will repeat it here.

The takeaways from the study are:

1) For "average" hair (whatever that is) total immersion in water for 2.5 to 3 minutes at something between room temperature and 48°C should be enough to fully saturate the hair.
2) Elevated temperatures reduce the time required for full saturation.
3) Fully saturating the hair reduces the force needed to cut it by around 65%.
4) Contrary to what many believe (including me) removing the lipid layer with soap did not reduce the time required to saturate the hair.
5) Various chemical "pre-shave" treatments were no more effective at softening the hair than water alone.
6) Elevated temperatures at the time of cutting further reduce the force needed to cut hair.

Interpretations:

If you are "average" then 3 minutes of immersion in room temperature water could be enough to fully prep your beard. They held sample hairs under a continuous stream of running water. I would suggest that patting some water on your face then doing other stuff for 3 minutes whilst it drips, cools down and evaporates is in no way comparable - some sort of alternative that allows for more continuous exposure is probably desirable, although how you approach that is up to you.

Equally, doing the actual shave with warm water / lather is going to make easier work of tough hair than cold water shaving. This is something I agree with based on experience, although apparently many people find cold water adequate.

Safety first! It should be pointed out that 48°C is hotter than a sensible bathing temperature. When we think "hot water" and elevated temperatures we have to think in terms of what is comfortable to use. If it's too hot for washing, it's too hot for shaving.

Apparently, "prepping the beard" by pre-washing with soap or applying "pre-shave" preparations makes no difference to the condition of the hair - the important bit is the water. Personally, I always figured that washing my beard with soap helped with the saturation process precisely because it removed the hydrophobic fats and oils. Well, the study says I was kidding myself. I still do it anyway. Also, it doesn't rule out the possibility of "pre-shave" treatments providing other benefits that improve the shaving experience, e.g. additional slickness.

Of course, whether any individual NEEDS to do a lengthy water-based prep prior to shaving is going to depend on their hair / skin and what they can get away with. Ultimately, everyone should do what they are happy with. What I always say though, is that if a new shaver is struggling to get a comfortable shave and ISN'T doing a hot-water prep, they should give it a try - maybe their hair is sufficiently tough that it will really make a difference for them. I don't consider my hair to be as tough as a lot of guys out there, but a thorough hot-water prep (5 minutes in the shower) definitely improves the comfort of my shave to the degree that I wouldn't really consider shaving without it - if there was no hot water I would grow a beard!

Last edited:
Top Bottom