What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Astra SS (Blue) (2nd) (165th blade), Tabac jar (174th shave), ASL, ASB

Second day with the Astra blade. Just as with the previous Astra: not very happy any more with these blades. I've moved them to tier 3, meaning I won't be ordering them again. Might ditch it early. There's so little reason to continue shaving with a blade you don't like when there are plenty of blades waiting in the closet, right?

I have managed to offload (a few years ago) all the blades I don't like. I now have about 200 blades that work very well, and another 300 which work good enough. That's enough to keep me shaving for many years.

I do sometimes use some of the blades from the OK pile, to stretch out the very good pile. I have no interest in blades which don't havr a fighting chance of giving me 10 great shaves per blade.

There's so little reason to continue shaving with a blade you don't like when there are plenty of blades waiting in the closet, right?
Absolutely! I have two tucks of Astra’s that came to me outside of my own doing. Definitely not a blade I would buy myself so I am glad to have been done to try them but that’s it. Same goes for Nacet. Just not my blade.

Blades are a hit or miss when we are starting out. I got lucky with the KCG blade and found excellence in the Dorco Titan. I am now at a point where most of the blades I use give me comfortable and good shaves. If it gets me at least 7 that’s ok for the one tuck kind. Double digits for my favourites is my standard expectation.

Cheers,

Guido

Gillette 7o'clock SS (Green) (1st) (166th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (27th shave)

Won't be able to post daily. My wife fell from the stairs so there's a lot on my shoulders now.
In the mean time, Tabac reached 175 shaves, I returned to Martin de Candre Fougère and I totally love this soap. And I ditched the Astra blade and enjoy the excellent result I get from Gillette.

Praying your bride has a full and timely recovery.

Sorry to hear about your wife's fall. I hope she is doing ok!

Best wishes to your good lady

Prayers for your bride to heal up and feel better.

There are more important things than a 1.1 pass shave. So you take care of her. Hope she will be up and running again soon!

Thank you guys. She's still suffering badly, less than a few days ago though. And I'm still working double shifts. But the future looks bright. She's been very, very lucky. It's almost impossible to have less injuries after falling from the stairs than she does. Could just as well have resulted in the worst of dramas.

Gillette 7o'clock SS (Green) (4th) (166th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (30th shave)

Enjoying my little bit of me-time with this incredible Martin de Candre shaving soap. If only they had matching after shave balm (or lotion). Might hunt for a matching product in a separate topic. It did point out the excellent combination of Palmolive shaving cream and Pitralon classic ASL.

Perma-Sharp (1st) (167th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (35th shave)

Five days on. My wife's leg, meanwhile, is in plaster for five weeks. So I'll have to run double shifts for quite some time.
Luckily, there's the morning fifteen-minute shave. And a hefty Negroni while cooking.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Perma-Sharp (4th) (167th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (38th shave)

I have the impression that the Martin de Candre shaving soap is less hard than, say, Tabac. After 38 shaves, I can already see a clear pitting developing in the glass jar.
Yes, it's not triple-milled. Try doing ten swirls with the brush and building a lather, adding water. I do it face-lathering. It should explode into more than enough for three passes.

Perma-Sharp (6th) (167th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (40th shave)

10 more days of Martin de Candre. After 40 shaves with this huge jar plus the 30 shaves I got from the sample, I'm rather convinced this soap will remain on tier one. Meaning it'll be re-ordered when almost empty.

Top Bottom