What's new

Deer Hot Dogs

Howdy all,

I have some deer hot dogs that have been sitting in my freezer for awhile, and I want to cook them up. Trouble is, I don't have a grill, and I'm not a very experienced cook. (Bacon & eggs I can do. I just recently learned how to cook a pork chop in a frying pan.) Any recommendations for stove top preparation?

Yes, boil in water, then skillet-fry them a bit. If you have some bacon fat, even better!! I never had deer hot dogs. I'll have to give them a try some time.

I assume you are calling them hot dogs instead of sausages because they are already cooked? If so I agree that frying them in a skillet is the way to go. If they are uncooked then boiling them in water or beer until they are cooked through before tossing them in the skillet is the way to go.

Or, as dklaiman mentioned: use your broiler. It's basically just an upside down grill. I broil stuff all the time if the weather or time considerations make me not want to go outside and fire up the grill.

I assume you are calling them hot dogs instead of sausages because they are already cooked? If so I agree that frying them in a skillet is the way to go. If they are uncooked then boiling them in water or beer until they are cooked through before tossing them in the skillet is the way to go.

Well, I'm not 100% sure, so here's the story. My dad's a hunter, and bags deer, among other things, pretty regularly. When last he came to visit, along with a wild turkey and some antelope steaks, he brought along some deer sausages in a package labeled "Deer Hot Dogs." He had them made from a deer he killed, and took the carcass to Clark's Locker & Meat Processing in Clarks, Nebraska, to have steaks and jerky and (evidently) sausages and hot dogs made. Which hot dogs he then brought to me. I asked him, he didn't really seem to know the whole story, but he told me they weren't raw--which I guess may mean they're already cooked?

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm planning to try to cook them up this weekend; I think I'll go with frying, but based on what y'all say, I may boil them beforehand as well.

Boil them in beer, let the beer evaporate, brown in the skillet till a lovely brown color ensues. This works for any cased meat product, throw in some onions if you want to jazz it up a bit.

Top Bottom