What's new

DE pics with blade, interesting?

Aha! Mystery solved! So that's why the razor is scratchy! Actually zooming in, you can see that the top cap machining is sort of off. The area on the cap near the retaining pins is not fully flat. That leads to the bowing of the edge of the blade.

20220917_202353.jpg

Not sure where you wanted them, so I will post them here too. First one is the NEW. Second one the Tech.

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

I should state for clarification - if it at all matters or helps - that my NEW has a unusual cap designed to really clamp down on the blade and hold it. It not only has the corner studs and posts we know, but also a couple of little vertical ones on the side posts that fit snug with most DE blades.

Added a shim between the baseplate and the blade on my Tatara Masamune with Nodachi top cap. Made the shave slightly more aggressive and slightly more efficient. Slightly meaning just enough to be noticeable. Shim was a blade with the sharpened edges cut off.

First pic is no shim, second pic is with the shim.

noshim.jpg

20221127_063302.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have a Flatboy head and it does the same thing--the blade "frowns" or curves downward in the middle when I tighten the handle fully. Do you shave with it like that? Or do you loosen the handle to straighten the blade?
I did shave with it like that, because I didn't check before taking a closer look, only after people reported that the blade is bent in SOME Flatboys only I noticed it in mine, too. I think it isn't as it should be. I find having not to screw the handle in too tightly etc. to straighten the blade a bit silly, so the razor has fallen pretty much out of favor and use by now.

For a similarly flat head that is perfectly fine and even better, with some other characteristics, I use the Smart Helix Apollo Light.

Agree, sounds to me like the blade frown in (some?) Flatboy heads is a defect. I'm not going to use or PIF it for the same reason...

I

Island

The Tatara razors seem to have the most precise clamping (even more than Henson) but I'm not sure that translates into a better shave. I've found the Timeless razors more enjoyable.

The Tatara razors seem to have the most precise clamping (even more than Henson) but I'm not sure that translates into a better shave. I've found the Timeless razors more enjoyable.

The problem I had with Tatara was too much blade stuck out beyond the cap, leading to blade chatter despite the great clamping.

OTOH the ATT Windsor doesn't have as good blade clamping and yet, there's zero chatter because the amount of blade show is so miniscule.

My most favourite razor, the @Blackland Razors Blackbird has zero chatter due to minimal blade show, big blade bend and cutting angle...The design is really something very special!

There's literally no blade sandwich style blade clamping, which I mistakenly assumed would lead to chatter, but there's none at all!

I

Island

My most favourite razor, the @Blackland Razors Blackbird has zero chatter due to minimal blade show, big blade bend and cutting angle...The design is really something very special!

There's literally no blade sandwich style blade clamping, which I mistakenly assumed would lead to chatter, but there's none at all!
I agree totally. The Blackbird and Overlander are two of my favorite razors. The Blackbird (and Yates) have no sandwich clamping and that may be why they are so efficient (as the bottom of the sandwich is out of the way). If I go slowly with the blackbird, it is not only very efficient but smooth and comfortable. It takes a different technique than the Overlander but both deliver an excellent shave, with the latter being a bit more of a brainless shave probably due to the protection of the bottom clamp.

• Cheers
Reactions: nav
Can we have some pictures from Gillette old types? Mine all have a curve of the blade .Was it intentional?
Do you mean like a wavy blade edge?
It was not intended. The Old type were made for the first model of blades with the 3 holes. They are thicker than modern blades. That is why with some blades you might get wavy / curvy edge.

Top Bottom