What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
TGIF.

3-15-24.Elite.Mike's.RacingGreen.640.JPG

Willy's (3), flipped.

Cube/Tube.

Alum stick. Left the alum on when dry and applied Mysterium Serum on top of alum.

Nice shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. A good shave, but I forgot to take a picture of the gear. The kit worked great today. My whiskers, which had grown wild since Friday morning, were easily removed.

1710779450840.png
It's the same kit I've been using throughout March for the Fixed Four.

My bad.​

Willy's (4), flipped. Shea butter last night. Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm thinking about softening the handle feel on the brass Elite... I won't do it until I've shaved with it a few times, just in case I want to sell it.... but I don't need quite that much grip. I think you called it the gecko feet handle. I've never felt gecko feet on my face, but it has to feel a bit like this handle. <eg>

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm thinking about softening the handle feel on the brass Elite... I won't do it until I've shaved with it a few times, just in case I want to sell it.... but I don't need quite that much grip. I think you called it the gecko feet handle. I've never felt gecko feet on my face, but it has to feel a bit like this handle. <eg>

I got used to the gecko feet very quickly.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got used to the gecko feet very quickly.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I used mine for the first time last night.... For me, it was sort of like the Athena handle.... I didn't like the weight when I was handling it but it disappeared when I used it.... I didn't mind the grippy handle or its weight at all in use. I really thought I would. I still might try my bronze Wolfman 3/7 90mm hollow handle @ 40 grams.... but not until I've used it a few times.

I do use the Ti Crown handle on the SS 2022 Elite..... but that's my pattern, as you know. I'm going to use the SS Elite next so I can compare the two... I did post some photos on my journal showing the differences between the brass and stainless steel models.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used mine for the first time last night.... For me, it was sort of like the Athena handle.... I didn't like the weight when I was handling it but it disappeared when I used it.... I didn't mind the grippy handle or its weight at all in use. I really thought I would. I still might try my bronze Wolfman 3/7 90mm hollow handle @ 40 grams.... but not until I've used it a few times.

I do use the Ti Crown handle on the SS 2022 Elite..... but that's my pattern, as you know. I'm going to use the SS Elite next so I can compare the two... I did post some photos on my journal showing the differences between the brass and stainless steel models.

1-21-24.2ndPolish.2Bayonetta.640.JPG

2-11-24.Bayonetta:Doug's.Mike's.Shavemac.640.JPG

Elite(brass)razor(with blade).640.JPG

My Bayonetta (left) does well when the ultra-lightweight handle Doug made for me is installed on it (middle photo). I considered trying that handle on the Elite (right) to reduce the razor's weight, but didn't prior to the Fixed.

I like the original Bayonetta handle well enough, but Doug's handle has the advantages of being lighter, shorter, and a lot fatter.

The Elite handle is heavier than I would like, and longer, but it is plenty fat. As you mentioned, it disappears during the shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Jim, I know you had a problem with one of your SV brushes... Did it get lost or did you have an issue with US Customs?

I ask because mine is hung up in Tennessee because it's an animal part or product and needs special clearance. FedEx says... no action required at this time.... I hope the US isn't banning badger brushes and I was unaware....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I know you had a problem with one of your SV brushes... Did it get lost or did you have an issue with US Customs?

I ask because mine is hung up in Tennessee because it's an animal part or product and needs special clearance. FedEx says... no action required at this time.... I hope the US isn't banning badger brushes and I was unaware....

Kim, I had problems with one of my SV brushes. I purchased it, but it never arrived. According to what I could determine, which may be totally inaccurate, the package was lost by FedEx, somewhere in Europe. Eventually, SV cancelled my order, and refunded my money. I really wanted the brush of course so I was just out of luck on that count.

I had previously ordered from SV two brushes exactly like the one which got lost (other than the LE numbers).

If the US were banning badger knots we'd all know about it. I've never heard of any brush from Europe requiring special clearance due to animal parts, but they may just occasionally impose such a delay and clearance because "We're from the government and we're here to help you."

Rudy @Rudy Vey would be much more likely to know the correct answer to your question. I kinda sorta remember him having a similar problem with knots from Germany, but don't trust my memory of something like that.

In any case, I hope your brush reaches you soon. What SV brush did you buy?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Kim, I had problems with one of my SV brushes. I purchased it, but it never arrived. According to what I could determine, which may be totally inaccurate, the package was lost by FedEx, somewhere in Europe. Eventually, SV cancelled my order, and refunded my money. I really wanted the brush of course so I was just out of luck on that count.

I had previously ordered from SV two brushes exactly like the one which got lost (other than the LE numbers).

If the US were banning badger knots we'd all know about it. I've never heard of any brush from Europe requiring special clearance due to animal parts, but they may just occasionally impose such a delay and clearance because "We're from the government and we're here to help you."

Rudy @Rudy Vey would be much more likely to know the correct answer to your question. I kinda sorta remember him having a similar problem with knots from Germany, but don't trust my memory of something like that.

In any case, I hope your brush reaches you soon. What SV brush did you buy?

Happy shaves,

Jim
My problem was also with FEDEX. They had lost my package here in the US, but sending me invoices for the applicable tax as well the import fees (Fish and Game...). I had some 5 calls with them, eventually they admitted to have it lost in one of their facilities, but they finally found it...never again FEDEX!!!!!.
I had Shavemac then switching over to DHL, and now again with postal services, my last shipment with post was only 6 days...
FEDEX is sticking to the regulations, and as soon as something is marked as animal product, they look into it and check if you have an import license (which I have and Shavemac always put a copy of it with the shipping paperwork as it is required). I think they are more lenient if it is for a personal use and only one brush or so.
Other shipper do not care I guess.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My problem was also with FEDEX. They had lost my package here in the US, but sending me invoices for the applicable tax as well the import fees (Fish and Game...). I had some 5 calls with them, eventually they admitted to have it lost in one of their facilities, but they finally found it...never again FEDEX!!!!!.
I had Shavemac then switching over to DHL, and now again with postal services, my last shipment with post was only 6 days...
FEDEX is sticking to the regulations, and as soon as something is marked as animal product, they look into it and check if you have an import license (which I have and Shavemac always put a copy of it with the shipping paperwork as it is required). I think they are more lenient if it is for a personal use and only one brush or so.
Other shipper do not care I guess.
Thx, Rudy.... SV has a US site so I was a bit surprised there was an issue at all.... but since it's in US Customs, as long as they don't unpack it and destroy the brush in the process of inspecting it, all should be fine in a day or two.

We just returned to the States through several passport and luggage checks.... They couldn't have been more disinterested... They seemed to just want the lines to move swiftly. I was happy and felt a bit odd at the same time. I wonder what shows up on their scanning machines.... and gives them pause.

I'm sure they are just doing their jobs... probably mostly thankless jobs... so I'm trying to be patient... I'm not in a rush to get the brush... but I don't want it sitting on someone's countertop for weeks either.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thx, Rudy.... SV has a US site so I was a bit surprised there was an issue at all.... but since it's in US Customs, as long as they don't unpack it and destroy the brush in the process of inspecting it, all should be fine in a day or two.

We just returned to the States through several passport and luggage checks.... They couldn't have been more disinterested... They seemed to just want the lines to move swiftly. I was happy and felt a bit odd at the same time. I wonder what shows up on their scanning machines.... and gives them pause.

I'm sure they are just doing their jobs... probably mostly thankless jobs... so I'm trying to be patient... I'm not in a rush to get the brush... but I don't want it sitting on someone's countertop for weeks either.

On our last plane trip which was from New Orleans to Atlanta...

My wife's suitcase was searched by TSA because they saw, on the scan, one of my double edge razors inside. The TSA person seemed totally unable to understand that the razor didn't have a blade installed, and was thus 100% legal. It did not turn into a huge hassle, but only because another TSA agent understood that a DE razor is not a blade. The first agent was clueless. The first agent was right on the cusp of turning into a huge PIA. It was quite unpleasant even though I kept it together as did my wife. We remained polite and respectful.

I've had worse problems with them. Once they had my three year old daughter in total meltdown as they destroyed her doll for absolutely no reason at all except to show they could. At the same time they ignored people who certainly looked like terrorists.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was nice.

3-20-24.Azealas.Elite.Mike's.RacingGreen.640.JPG

I had time to take an outdoors shave kit picture. Just to show off my pretty red azaleas.

Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum. Willy's (6), flipped.

(I should almost always use shea butter the night before, but sometimes I forget. Shea butter never hurts, and generally makes everything more comfortable, when used "last night.")

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
On our last plane trip which was from New Orleans to Atlanta...

My wife's suitcase was searched by TSA because they saw, on the scan, one of my double edge razors inside. The TSA person seemed totally unable to understand that the razor didn't have a blade installed, and was thus 100% legal. It did not turn into a huge hassle, but only because another TSA agent understood that a DE razor is not a blade. The first agent was clueless. The first agent was right on the cusp of turning into a huge PIA. It was quite unpleasant even though I kept it together as did my wife. We remained polite and respectful.

I've had worse problems with them. Once they had my three year old daughter in total meltdown as they destroyed her doll for absolutely no reason at all except to show they could. At the same time they ignored people who certainly looked like terrorists.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Back before 9-11, it was legal to carry a pocket knife on a plane, as long as the blade was less than 4".... I have a very nice, small, SS Spyderco with rubber inlays in the handle... A TSA agent told me he was going to have to confiscate it... I told him, politely, that the blade was 2 and 3/8ths inch long and was legal.... Then I added.... Look, I know this is a very nice knife and you'd like to have it.... but come on.... It really is legal... I smiled when I said it... He smiled back and handed it to me to put back in my suit pants. This was in Dallas.. after I'd already passed through security at the Philadelphia airport with said knife.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It must be the week for it... I have a folding Feather DX barber razor on the way and just got a call from FedEx... It is also being held up in US customs because of the wood handle.... I had to certify it wasn't an exotic wood. Strange days in which we are living. They also asked about the Kai Titan Mild "Pink" non-guarded blades and needed clarification on those as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It is still March, so my basic gear is consistent.

3-22-24.Friday'sFixed.640.JPG

Friday.
Willy's (8), flipped
3-23-24.FixedFourGear.640.JPG
Saturday.
New Blade​
3-24-24.Hannah'sWeddingKit.640.JPG

Sunday.
Willy's (2), flipped.​
3-25-24.RacingGreen.Mike's.Elite.640.JPG
Monday.
Willy's (3), flipped.​

Cube/Tube. Mysterium Serum.

I've been extremely busy. Concerns at the office have occupied me at home. There was also a wedding party Saturday night and a wedding to attend Sunday night.

A bunch of good shaves. I am really enjoying this nice brush!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom