What's new

Custom D01 2 Band Shavemac

My one gripe with Bernd is that it's way cheaper to just buy his brushes from him than to order the knot...with shipping etc...you end up paying a heck of a lot more...$150 isn't cheap...and shipping it like that just doesn't cut it when you're paying for such a premium product...

Neat brush. Were the hairs trimmed? I have never seen a 2-band with such short white bands, and such long black bands. Very unique.

Straight from the man himself

Hello Joey,

I remember that brush. It was very flat. On this extreme flat shapes the white tips look short because all hairs are in on line.
On the rounded shapes the white area looks fuller. The hairs are in different length and build a fuller white area.
Please see the picture attached to this mail.
You can see a 2band brush with a visible white area of 25 mm. If you look at a single hair of this brush the lengths of the withe tips is only 8-10 mm

I can assure that the brush is not trimmed - we never have trimmed any of our handmade brushes.

Also the brush is very soft. A trimmed brush is not soft, it is scratchy.

Hope I could take away your doubts.
The brush you have got is a solid handmade brush, made under respect of all rules and terms of the brush maker masters guild.

Best Regards. Bernd

I was shocked that the knot was actually still in the " Protective " bag he shipped it in due to the fact of Fish and Wildlife slicing it open and failing to tape both sides.. It's a miracle the knot survived. ....

I know how you feel mine was the same way it was half open and my shave mac brush box was crushed up, my brush was not in its place in the box it was just rattling around in there. In fact it was so open all I did was stick my hand in and take out the box. I was super PO for some miracle my brush was unharmed.

Keep us posted on how you like your brush. :thumbup1:

I cant stop using mine, its a super beast :thumbup:

Ambrose,

Did you request such an extremely flat topped brush, or did you just ask for a 'fan-shaped' brush, anticipating something more along the lines of a Rooney or stubby Simpson?

Also, did you have to specify the handle size you wanted, or does it match up with the knot size? Those slightly concave handles are ergonomically the best available imo. The lines are a little similar to the Omega 31064, which is a great handle. ANyway, I was thinking of buying that brush (I think its the 163) in a 18 or 21mm knot, but am a little concerned the handle will be a little too dinky (presuming the smaller knot = smaller handle).

Ambrose,

Did you request such an extremely flat topped brush, or did you just ask for a 'fan-shaped' brush, anticipating something more along the lines of a Rooney or stubby Simpson?

Also, did you have to specify the handle size you wanted, or does it match up with the knot size? Those slightly concave handles are ergonomically the best available imo. The lines are a little similar to the Omega 31064, which is a great handle. ANyway, I was thinking of buying that brush (I think its the 163) in a 18 or 21mm knot, but am a little concerned the handle will be a little too dinky (presuming the smaller knot = smaller handle).

Great question

He has a regular fan and also an extreme flat top I choose the extreme flat top. I find you get more hairs working in unison and massaging the face with an even pressure. There is nothing like it ! The handle oh man you said it, its very ergonomic and it has a heft to it, its very solid material. As for the handle dimensions I agree with you. I have a 22 knot (insanely dense) so it looks balanced in this handle. If it was any smaller knot size I would hesitate to use it in this handle. You could but it might not look so "right", for an 18-20 you could go with the 45 or the 42 size handle. I personally find his 49 to be a perfect fit and would hate to go smaller. In fact Ive had others smaller in the 45-46 range even a 35 and thats exactly why I find the 49 height in this design to be an ideal match for me. I designed my brush with performance and ergonomics in mind, in the end I think thats what its all about. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Great question

He has a regular fan and also an extreme flat top I choose the extreme flat top. I find you get more hairs working in unison and massaging the face with an even pressure. There is nothing like it ! The handle oh man you said it, its very ergonomic and it has a heft to it, its very solid material. As for the handle dimensions I agree with you. I have a 22 knot (insanely dense) so it looks balanced in this handle. If it was any smaller knot size I would hesitate to use it in this handle. You could but it might not look so "right", for an 18-20 you could go with the 45 or the 42 size handle. I personally find his 49 to be a perfect fit and would hate to go smaller. In fact Ive had others smaller in the 45-46 range even a 35 and thats exactly why I find the 49 height in this design to be an ideal match for me. I designed my brush with performance and ergonomics in mind, in the end I think thats what its all about. :thumbup1:

I like this extreme flat-top!! This must be the perfect face lather brush, or? Guess, one of my next purchases will be a brush like this! But as Sameer said, buying a brush seems cheaper than just buying a knot:blink:

No wonder Bernd hasn't returned any of my e-mails. He was too pre-occupied with your brush.

Nice Guile flat top! Shave well

BTW has it shed if at all?

Last edited:
I like this extreme flat-top!! This must be the perfect face lather brush, or? Guess, one of my next purchases will be a brush like this! But as Sameer said, buying a brush seems cheaper than just buying a knot:blink:

Yes indeed my friend, Perfect! :thumbup: I remember you are a face lather with soaps just like I am. I do think it is cheaper to have Bernd put it in one of his handles. Keep us posted on yours im curious :biggrin1:

No wonder Bernd hasn't returned any of my e-mails. He was too pre-occupied with your brush.

Nice Guile flat top! Shave well

BTW has it shed if at all?

Thank you sir :blushing:

Since Ive received it I have not stopped using it and it has not lost one hair. Lets take a minute to pray to make sure it stays this way. :001_smile

sweet brush - the flat top looks so strange compared to regular bulbs etc.

and ps - there is a brush makers master guild?!?! it would have to have like 3 members?!

Ahh, the thread that recently inspired me on my custom shavemac. Placed my order last week on an extreme flat top D01 2 band and am hoping to get it sometime in the near future. Haven't heard back from Bernd, but I know that is typical and he will contact me when it ships out. Really looking forward to this baby.

Ahh, the thread that recently inspired me on my custom shavemac. Placed my order last week on an extreme flat top D01 2 band and am hoping to get it sometime in the near future. Haven't heard back from Bernd, but I know that is typical and he will contact me when it ships out. Really looking forward to this baby.

This thread is contagious. It is why I got one too. Did you wind up going with the 23mm? What handle did you pick out?

This thread is contagious. It is why I got one too. Did you wind up going with the 23mm? What handle did you pick out?

Let's just say that I really splurged on this brush. I went with a 23mm knot 45mm loft (I wanted a scrubby little feller). For the handle I definitely splurged and figured if I'm getting a custom I may as well go all out. Ordered the Cocobolo/Nickel wooden handled one.

I initially never would have ordered a wooden handled brush, but my semogue LE and Vie-long 16726 have changed my mind on the wooden handles.

Hopefully I'll get this in the next month and maybe it will cure SBAD (yeah right....I'm already thinking of a custom finest....god help me)

That is an awesome looking brush. I really like the flat top. I do wonder though how effective it would be if you decided to bowl lather?!

Do you have any pics of it post first use?

Good to hear about your new brushes guys :thumbup: Please keep me posted on them! I wanna see!

Post bloom pics on first page :biggrin1:

Jose

So is this brush still #1 in the rotation? Been looking at Shavemac for my next brush and am wondering if I should go extreme fan or regular fan. I do like to face (75% of the time) lather and am curious how this brush has performed in a bowl.

Thanks!

Edit: I got a response from Bernd with pricing and my knot shape choices were:
Bulb, fan or flat.

Is it safe to assume flat is what you're refering to as "extreme"
?

Last edited:
Top Bottom