What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

The side shots of the stones are more important than the tops. For instance, La Petite Blanche are probably the easiest to recognize as they are almost always combo stones, and they carry a purple line parallel with the BBW backing. You might want to check this helpful thread on coticule.be that helps with some stone identifiers, http://coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1727.html

Thanks,Ill check it, just for reference, if I want to try to score some from ebay, or antique shops etc.. As for the one I have, its definitely LV, no need to check up on it..

When I have the time, I'll post up a picture of my LPB (which coincidentally, I received from thanks). I have to take new photos of her because I just spent a good 30 minutes lapping the hell out of her. The LPB has both manganese lines and she is just starting to blush (red is starting to show).

I bet you could now nickname that stone the retirement fund! Haha. Can't wait to see it looking slightly different.

Also, from what I have read, red color equates to faster than normal on water, and black manganese lines mean the stone is faster than normal on slurry.

Last edited:
Here's my newest vintage. It's 6" x 1 5/16" and super fast on slurry. My new favorite coticule.
proxy.php

My ebay hone arrived a few days ago. Looks like I got a good deal. The worrying, possible crack, line in the ebay shot turned out to be manganese which is nice. It's just a hunk of coticule, no schist, slate or bbw, which I've not come across before. Lapping was a real pain as the centre was badly dished but over an hour later and I'm good to go. Gave my current shaver a quick touch up, 30 laps on water, and it gave a nice smooth shave.

My largest coticule so far is five inches and this measures in at eight and a half, I feel like a kid a Christmas. Looking forward to trying out a few razors from start to finish soon.

The back of the stone is pretty rough and would need to lose a few millimetres to start approaching flat, any thoughts on if it would be worthwhile lapping the back? It would be nice to have a side for razors and one for knives but I don't want to butcher the stone either, the bottom is rather pretty.

Any ideas on layer would be welcome but I suspect this is quite old, at least the wooden paddle that it snugly fits into appears old.

Attachments

• $IMG_2997.jpg
    $IMG_2997.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 201
  • $IMG_3006.jpg
    $IMG_3006.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 201
  • $IMG_3015.jpg
    $IMG_3015.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 199
  • $IMG_3017.jpg
    $IMG_3017.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 200
  • $IMG_3024.jpg
    $IMG_3024.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 196
Wow man that's awesome. Now I really kick my self for not bidding. I love the raw look on the back. I wouldn't touch the back of it I would leave it just way it is. If you EVER sell that I want to be first in line.

That's quite a bit of rock you have there, and I would highly recommend leaving the back the way it is. If you take too much off the stone, they become quite fragile. Obviously it looks like you have plenty, but I don't really see a benefit to lapping the back either.

Also, being a vintage stone, it can't really be identified.

Thanks guys,

I think I'll leave the back as is then, the back is part of its charm and the paddle has been made to accommodate it nicely. After a little playing around with it I find it harder than my le petite blanche but softer than my la verte. Speed is rather harder to ascertain due to the size differences, maybe after a bit more honing.

I love my vintage hones. The ones I have just have a different feel to them then my new ones. I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is though, maybe hardness? Maybe density?

If you try enough vintage stones and enough "mined as of lately" you will see there are many stones similar. your lack of experience with La Petite,Veinette,La Grosse Jaune, La Dressante of which I have tried at least 5 that were all different,and there others I have not mentioned but may be seen again in the coming year.The ones you have tried remind me mainly of La Verte and Dresssante which you haven't had the pleasure of yet. In time you will see they all have there their for and against in personal preference.

Yeah I agree I have a lack of experience with all the veins out there. But I look forward to trying all that I can. I guess my love is just the "vintage" part. Not knowing who used this stone before me and how many different razors it had seen.

If you try enough vintage stones and enough "mined as of lately" you will see there are many stones similar. your lack of experience with La Petite,Veinette,La Grosse Jaune, La Dressante of which I have tried at least 5 that were all different,and there others I have not mentioned but may be seen again in the coming year.The ones you have tried remind me mainly of La Verte and Dresssante which you haven't had the pleasure of yet. In time you will see they all have there their for and against in personal preference.

Did you get your La Veinette yet?

I cannot tell if it will be here today or tomorrow. It shows departing the hub this morning but I have never seen anything leave there in the morning. Always at night. So probably tomorrow the latest.

It has just arrived! Pics now too!!!:001_wub: This is the best feeling stone I have had. It is just as fine as my Thuringian looking at the surface and the feel is just as smooth and uniform as glass. Its pretty fast as well and no autoslurry.

Attachments

• $IMG_2974.jpg
    $IMG_2974.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 162
  • $IMG_2976.jpg
    $IMG_2976.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
It has just arrived! Pics a bit later!

Great! Look forward to seeing my rocks sister, as im sure theyre from the same extraction..I bet yours is nice and chunky...

Even though I posted already, here it is again for comparison sake..

Attachments

• $IMAG0370.jpg
    $IMAG0370.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 164
  • $IMAG0364.jpg
    $IMAG0364.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 163
  • $IMAG0367-1.jpg
    $IMAG0367-1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 162
scott that is gorgous stone , sounds mad but it makes me want one in that size. The la vainette is more money but you got to admit its worth the money just for how it looks .. mine is a standard LV . you will have to post your results, i think i'd be tempted to try unicot and dilucot on the new one . how much was it again?

Nice Scott! That's one chunky LaVeinette! Nice and even thick layers too! A few Manganese lines , most definitely cut from the same lot as mine.. Very easy stone. My first time ever, doing a real honing, using the unicot method outlined on coticule.be, and I got an acceptable, shaving edge, maybe beginners, luck who, knows..

Congrats on a beautiful stone
BP

Last edited:
Top Bottom