What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

hi jkh. yes that is correct.. If i set the bevel on slurry and get asolid tpt pass. dry tpt realy holds edge i'll go straight to water with mild pressured back and forth stroke s. Plus light x strokes . I'll work there untill i get hht 3. if for some reason i carn't get there , i will go back to skimmed milk slurry (bery light) do aprox 6 dilutions then water ...

Some coticules work this way some don't. I have had lpb worked that way .. the lv if i get good bevel also works for some reason..i always say its good to try with a new coticule... You never no what your stone is capable of.. This is how you get to no your stone ..

You mayspend weeks practising dilucot. then you may just try slurry to water and get great results.. Its well worth trying you can always skip back to a slurry and do dilucot... Give it ago you maybe surprised.. realy work on water to get edge to max .

Thanks for clarifying, Gary. I have tried going straight to water after setting/correcting bevel on a Chosera 1K with pretty decent success if the Coticule is fast enough (with water only) to remove the Chosera scratches. I've got a La Petite Blanche that puts really nice keen bevels (almost shave worthy) on blades, I think this would be a good candidate to try this out on.

Cheers, Jeremy

Very interesting Gary... I might try this out with my LPB and my LGB. I feel like I lose the edge on the LPB somewhere during the dilution stages but I think this just might be the answer. Not that the shaves have been bad or anything...but I feel like the edge is "missing" that special something. As for the LGB....I've never been able to get a shaving edge with this one so...I'll give it a go with your technique.

i have had both layers lpb and lgb. The LPB i found exactly the same . it just seemed so easy to loose what i gained.. Slurry to set the bevel and then realy hitting water stages worked a treat on my lpb..do extra work on slurry once your sure bevel is set. then do plenty of back and forth stroke with mild pressure on water and finish with xstrokes .. strop and see what your hht is like . try same on lgb... I found with lgb starting out with real light slurry to set bevel then diluting to water was the way forward. .. and plenty of work on water . let us no how slurry to water only goes .. you ca always go back and do mini dilucot ..
gary

No that does not mean inappropriate it just means the whiskers melt away. If your having trouble send me a razor and I will return it with a very mellow edge like Gary describes. Where are you located?

Im in NYC.. Thanks for the offer, I may. Just take you up on it! Something about the term Mellow sounds good, but at the same time I can't help but think, I want "surgical" sharp. Kind of like feathers. Any way to achieve that kind of edge in a straight?

Im in NYC.. Thanks for the offer, I may. Just take you up on it! Something about the term Mellow sounds good, but at the same time I can't help but think, I want "surgical" sharp. Kind of like feathers. Any way to achieve that kind of edge in a straight?

I am pretty sure a "surgical" wouldn't last very long on a beard and wouldn't be a very comfortable shave. When they say "mellow" it doesn't mean dull, to me it means when you run sideways across the blade it doesn't feel sharp, but when you put it to hair it is very sharp. I don't know if you follow me but I have a wedge that I finished on my coticule and it doesn't feel sharp to the touch but the weight of the blade will plow through my 3 day growth, no pulling, and very comfortable.

i've honed a thew razors for a mate of mine, and he's often said he had to check if the razor was actuly doing any thing. then he feels his face and told me the stubble had gone . thats mellow .. Your skin after shave should feel like a razor never been there ..

These edges are my favourite ..

I can't help but think that if it wasn't surgical sharp it could not wipe whiskers away effortlessly and leave your face feeling like rubber its so smooth.

I am copying this definition directly from coticule.be where the terms crisp (or brisk), engaging, and mellow were used to describe the differences between a razor that was honed to level of keenness required to stubble removal (i.e., a "dialed in" edge). I have taken the liberty of highlighting the term "good" from each definition.

In short, Crisp=rejuvenated feeling skin=good ; engaging= basically the way your skin feels after a refreshing shower when really dirty or something = good ; mellow = like your face didn't feel anything at all = good

I am copying this definition directly from coticule.be where the terms crisp (or brisk), engaging, and mellow were used to describe the differences between a razor that was honed to level of keenness required to stubble removal (i.e., a "dialed in" edge). I have taken the liberty of highlighting the term "good" from each definition.

Thanks. Great descriptions..
From what, I'm guessing, my imagination is thinking that a mellow edge would be sort of like a Cadillac with power steering and super soft suspension, and Crisp or Brisk would be a razors equivalent of a High Performance race car, with rack and pinion pinion steering. I'm guessing the brisk edges give you more control of the shave but maybe require more skill and technique. Again I'm so new at this, but this is what I'm gathering..

The differences in finishes among Coticules are minor. My La Grosse Blanche finished edge will shave similar to my La Veinette edge. It's just that after the shave my face feels ever so slightly different between them. Once you've gotten your technique down, as they say, it's more in the hands than the stones.

I think the difference is even more subtle. Perhaps like getting new suspension put on a car. I be willing to bet that most gents wouldn't be able to discern the difference in a blind test (myself included).

I think the difference is even more subtle. Perhaps like getting new suspension put on a car. I be willing to bet that most gents wouldn't be able to discern the difference in a blind test (myself included).

Gotcha...let me ask you a question? My La Veinette here.....to me it looks like a lot of the photos I see posted of La Dressante...most of the La Veinettes I see posted , are more uniform in color....so, a lot of these "help me ID this Coticule" threads with photos, while fun, can't possibly be
accurate.....I'm really digging the look of this stone I got...manganese lines and all...I love the lines...
$rps20120315_234403_612.jpg

I like the looks of it too. My two vintage stones have lines in them too. Adds character. One of my LG's is almost one solid color and it is pretty boring but it leaves very nice edges.

I like the looks of it too. My two vintage stones have lines in them too. Adds character. One of my LG's is almost one solid color and it is pretty boring but it leaves very nice edges.

I've been reading that the manganese lines are indicative, that a stone its probably very, very fast. Its there any truth to that? Or is it just us crazies being crazy enough to take a simple thing like sharpening steel on rock, to crazy levels of hyper analysis

Legion

Staff member
I've been reading that the manganese lines are indicative, that a stone its probably very, very fast. Its there any truth to that? Or is it just us crazies being crazy enough to take a simple thing like sharpening steel on rock, to crazy levels of hyper analysis

My stones with manganese (LPB and Dressante) are all fast. But that might just be coincidence.

Its true red blushes and /or manganese lines are indicative of faster stones but I would not go so far as to say very ver fast. Just noticeably faster.

Here is a La Veinette I stupidly sold a while back.

View attachment 228803

I just saw that one a few minutes ago... You had posted it on Coticule.be about a year ago right? I've been comparing photos too see how many lv's look like mine.. I have no idea why! Just bored I guess..

That's ok that you sold it, someone else gets to add a little history to it... I'm sure your gonna love the one you have coming from Ardennes... did it come yet? Most likely its from the same LV batch that mine came from... I'm curious to see it..

Last edited:
The side shots of the stones are more important than the tops. For instance, La Petite Blanche are probably the easiest to recognize as they are almost always combo stones, and they carry a purple line parallel with the BBW backing. You might want to check this helpful thread on coticule.be that helps with some stone identifiers, http://coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1727.html

No it has not arrived yet. Soon I hope. It has been a little while since I posted that stone on Coticule.be I guess it could have been a year. time flies when your having fun....

Top Bottom