What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
View attachment 428174

I started this whole honing business a couple of months ago but only today got an edge that seems decent for the first time. Any way, here's my hardware. One 40x175mm and a 60x200mm combo. Both are new and both seem to be nearly identical from the looks of them.
Nice looking stones. Love that combo!

david

David

I keep waiting for someone to post a pic of that big chunky coti that sold on the bay last week. That was a really nice stone...hope it went to someone here.

David

Any guesses ???

Coticule of unknown origin

glued to bbw

Manganese lines running through it... Was brownish before lapping (should have taken pic) but the brown looked like just age or varnish leaked onto the stone from the wood frame it was in

Hardly gives up slurry, moderate to fast on slurry slow on water... Very glassy feeling to coti

5x1.25

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395726967.496996.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395726976.013493.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I tried to buy this one along with the one he labeled as super fast he had but he wanted too much for me. I had planned on trying to win at least one of them but put the funds into a kamisori before I had a chance.

EDIT: I just checked again and the stone I looked into is actually a different one but it has a very similar dark manganese line running straight up the stone.

Last edited:
@Heespharm: Seems to be a very good one, i love the ones with manganese lines, could be a bit harder but the speed is mostly perfect.
If it ain`t vintage i would guess La petite blanche.

Greets Sebastian.

Tried it out last night.... I would say it's moderate fast (using my les lat as a guide)... The edge was on par with my la dressante... Still needed my thuri to refine it a bit more... I like my les lat edges better I think.... This stone isn't mine but I think I'm gonna offer to buy it off the guy... I have three of these 5x1 and a fourth would be nice ;-)

Last edited:

David

Got this yesterday. A vintage 4x2 combo. Pretty neat that the lateral lines in the BBW bleed through on the back side. It's a softer stone, and while not that fast on slurry has a very abrasive feel on plain water.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 177
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 177
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 178
thanks, JP! It's been a while....good to hear from you!

Thanks!! Nice to see you here too!! I had a stretch there where I was traveling nonstop for work....I would get back to my hotel room, do a million work emails, then I'd be too exhausted to post.....Then, I just sort of fell into the habit of not posting...anyway it's good to be back!! I have not lost interest in the hobby one bit, I just 'disappeared' for a while.....:blush:

How's that spotted dressante treating you (if you still have it)?

David

Thanks!! Nice to see you here too!! I had a stretch there where I was traveling nonstop for work....I would get back to my hotel room, do a million work emails, then I'd be too exhausted to post.....Then, I just sort of fell into the habit of not posting...anyway it's good to be back!! I have not lost interest in the hobby one bit, I just 'disappeared' for a while.....:blush:

How's that spotted dressante treating you (if you still have it)?
Still have it! It's great man I'm really enjoying using it. I posted pics of it here a while back. It's by far my favorite coti.

A generous B&B member responded to my recent post - a WTB for a 6"x2" Les Latneuses coticule. I jumped at his offer and I am glad I did.

It may look familiar to some B&B members as is has been around a little bit. Now that I've had a chance to run a few blades over it, I can say for sure it's found a home for good.
The top has a red blush to it and provides a satisfying 'sweeping' sound during honing. The hybrid side is damn hard so it provides almost no sound. The thing that got my attention was how it grabs the blade while using water only. Not skipping or sticky more like a suction.
The shaves have been extremely good. I've used several coticules in recent years, no expert that's for sure, but this guy is above them all. It gives that legendary coticule edge - squeegee-like without fear of cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hybrid side has a magnetic feel I no it very well, I used mine for a long time, I only ever used the hybrid side with dilucot method, I got very keen edges very easy, nice little stone.

gary

Top Bottom