What's new

Considering an ATT Slant

I'm going to give you some free advice. you can thank me later.....

Go to your local Walgreens and buy a bottle of Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction cologne. Put it on. Neither you nor your wife will be able to tell it from 1805. It smells exactly like 1805. The price, on the other hand, is not the same.

You're welcome.

Just goes to show you YMMV...my S1 is head above shoulders better for me than my 39C. That said, I still think the iKon Slant is the best slant razor I own.

I will agree that the original Ikon slant is amazingly efficient, but aggressive at the same time. I found it to be not nearly as forgiving as my S1 or S2 and more prone to leaving irritation. That first WTG pass though is pretty impressive.

I will agree that the original Ikon slant is amazingly efficient, but aggressive at the same time. I found it to be not nearly as forgiving as my S1 or S2 and more prone to leaving irritation. That first WTG pass though is pretty impressive.

And of your S1 and S2, what do you see as the pros and cons of each?

I've been doing some A/B testing of my ATT S2 and Ikon slant, and honestly it's left me ready to sell the ATT. Both are excellent, but I like the way the Ikon sounds. A strange thing to compare, but the ATT is quieter, and I kind of like the Ikon feedback. :)

I've been doing some A/B testing of my ATT S2 and Ikon slant, and honestly it's left me ready to sell the ATT. Both are excellent, but I like the way the Ikon sounds. A strange thing to compare, but the ATT is quieter, and I kind of like the Ikon feedback. :)
I'm not sure if this is a relevant factor for the OP to consider, but there is a HUGE difference in the quality of the companies and their owners between ATT and iKon. ATT and Stan have shown themselves to be outstanding, while I will just say that iKon and its owner have been banned here at B&B. FWIW.

Yep--I know the guy at Ikon has a reputation, but the fit and finish of my slant give up nothing to ATT.

Regarding the fit and finish, the iKon slant has a proprietary coating (obviously the black ones have a coating, but the older steel ones do too). This makes it a bit apples and oranges in comparing the fit and finish ... also, if the coating ever gets scratched, it could conceivably facilitate rust of the underlying stainless steel. Plus, I don't believe there is a good DIY repair for plated/coated razors....

Regarding the fit and finish, the iKon slant has a proprietary coating (obviously the black ones have a coating, but the older steel ones do too). This makes it a bit apples and oranges in comparing the fit and finish ... also, if the coating ever gets scratched, it could conceivably facilitate rust of the underlying stainless steel. Plus, I don't believe there is a good DIY repair for plated/coated razors....

$30 buys a 3" buffer and fast cut polishing compound from harbor freight (using a 20% off coupon that they have every month). The result is a finish that that is spot on with a Weber polished head. Sorry for the cruddy photo.

$image.jpg

And of your S1 and S2, what do you see as the pros and cons of each?

So far I'm trying a Vokshod tomorrow. While better in the S2 the ladas was still subpar in performance for me, I just can't get them to work in a slant. I did get an amazing shave though and think this might be the razor that walks the line regarding my comfort to closeness ratio for daily use.

$30 buys a 3" buffer and fast cut polishing compound from harbor freight (using a 20% off coupon that they have every month). The result is a finish that that is spot on with a Weber polished head. Sorry for the cruddy photo.

Cool. Nice work, but isn't there an edge to the coating/plating somewhere though? Also, with manual buffering, do you think there is a risk of altering blade exposure (where even a microscopic difference can make a difference)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom