What's new

Comprehensive Guide to Basic to Intermediate Honing

Very informative thread! Thanks! Would be great to see and read a bit on "washboard" honing techniques for an asymmetrical japanese blade

Very informative thread! Thanks! Would be great to see and read a bit on "washboard" honing techniques for an asymmetrical japanese blade

Thats an advanced honing technique and beyond my current willingness to compile all the info & write it down. :wink:

This is an awesome post for sure.

I keep coming back to it and wishing it was here when I started honing not too long ago :lol:.

You would have saved me some serious confusion :lol:.

OK, so I have a question regarding honing. I've seen a few things that mentioned that overhoning can lead to an edge that breaks up when stropped, and seen a few statements that reference "resetting the bevel", but I haven't found any information on how to do just that. Do I drag the edge off on a hone, then start over?

Just curious, as I just tried for the first time to get a well honed edge on minimal tools, and as soon as I stopped the blade, the edge just fell apart.

Any tips?

OK, so I have a question regarding honing. I've seen a few things that mentioned that overhoning can lead to an edge that breaks up when stropped, and seen a few statements that reference "resetting the bevel", but I haven't found any information on how to do just that. Do I drag the edge off on a hone, then start over?

Just curious, as I just tried for the first time to get a well honed edge on minimal tools, and as soon as I stopped the blade, the edge just fell apart.

Any tips?

Was the blade rusty?
Overhoning is pretty hard to do without trying/using excess pressure.
To reset the bevel, it is only when you have no bevel from either breadknifing, or polishing/sanding the blade.
If your edge isn't rusty, and it deteriorates when stropping, go back to your highest grit(or 8000 grit) using no pressure at all, until you bring it back to shaving sharp.
Then do whatever final polishing you want(12k stone, pasted strop, Shapton 30k :lol: ) then strop.
For honing, no pressure is key, especially for the final stages of polishing.

thanks for the info, but I cant seem to move from the bevel setting stage. I can produce a arm hair cutting bevel (using Norton 1K/8K), but when I move to the 8K I seem to lose all the work, any idea's getting V.fustrated!!

thanks for the info, but I cant seem to move from the bevel setting stage. I can produce a arm hair cutting bevel (using Norton 1K/8K), but when I move to the 8K I seem to lose all the work, any idea's getting V.fustrated!!

You need another stone between the 1k-8k.

Too big of a jump there.

I think you have a problem with at least one of the following (in order of their likelihood):
- you cannot evaluate your edge properly - here's where you can learn more about various tests http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Sharpness_tests_explained
- you have not done enough work on the 1k - learn how to use the TNT too
- your stokes are terrible (e.g. lifting the spine)

Last edited:
Excellent tutorial....thanks for sharing that!
One thing I've always wondered about is the pyramid. When sharpening any blade, I've always progressed step-wise to finer grits. In the Lyn Abrams video, he describes counting strokes while alternating between two different grits. I don't understand the logic behind that at all.
When working with a razor, I am pretty much unable to detect a burr by feel as I can with a knife. I've always used the burr as a signal that I'm done with one grit and ready to go finer.
Does anyone else follow Lyn's method?

I don't use the pyramid method any more, but it's what I started with and what I used for the first 3-4 months. The burrs on a razor can be as small as 1 micron and still have a huge negative impact. You really need an electron microscope to see them directly, though there are ways to detect them indirectly. But this is one of the reasons that honing razors is so different from knives - most of the sharpness indicators we use for knives aren't really useful for razors, because knives simply don't get that sharp and don't have that hard of steel, and don't have that acute of an angle. Razors will shave armhair long before they're sharp enough to shave your face with, the thumbnail test for burrs and consistent sharpness will roll an edge sending you back to the low-grit hones, tricks like backhoning that make it easier to get a sharp knife edge will quickly create a huge burr by razor standards that will fold over on the first stroke and gash your face. So you're forced to hone the hard way, edge first, with very little feedback as to what's really going on at the edge. Eventually you discover signs you can use to guide you, to give you some hints about how the edge is going. Looking at the way the water flows in front of the edge, listening to the sound of the steel scraping over the hone, feeling for the slight changes in resistance and suction between the hone and edge. Shallow cuts in your thumb pad, filleting arm hairs, flexing the edge and looking for interference patterns in the reflected sunlight. All of these provide clues as to how the edge is progressing, though ultimately the only clue that really matters is how it shaves the next day. But absent an electron microscope you're looking at indirect signals, subject to interpretation and variability, and it can take awhile to develop the experience to do this consistently. If it has nothing else to recommend it, the pyramid method has the signal advantage that it doesn't require much experience in order to work very well.

Last edited:
I think you have a problem with at least one of the following (in order of their likelihood):
- you cannot evaluate your edge properly - here's where you can learn more about various tests http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Sharpness_tests_explained
- you have not done enough work on the 1k - learn how to use the TNT too
- your stokes are terrible (e.g. lifting the spine)

There is no more valuable test than the TNT. If your razor does not pass it, it will never, ever give an acceptable shave. But to obliquely reference mparker762's post, you don't want to use the TNT after setting the bevel. Doing so after 2-3K hones, approximately, will likely ruin the edge.

Last edited:
cheers for the quick reply, a 4K semms the obvious choice, does it mean I have to splash out on another norton? I bought the 1K/8K because the blades had become really blunt

I don't understand. Are you saying that after the 1k stone, the blade passes all the tests, and then you move to the 8k and then the blade no longer cuts your arm hair?

If so, your doing something horribly wrong, as Gugi said. Probably lifting the spine and destroying the bevel.

If not, and what your saying is that the razor is not getting sharp enough for you to shave with, but still cuts, then you can either tough it out and do an inordinate number of strokes on the 8k until the razor shaves, or you can buy a 4k stone.

cheers for the quick reply, a 4K semms the obvious choice, does it mean I have to splash out on another norton? I bought the 1K/8K because the blades had become really blunt

ok, so they were shaving you fine at some point?
you did get the wrong hone then, you wanted the 4000/8000.
the set that you have will be very tricky to get a shaving edge off, so yes i'd say you'd like to get a norton 4000 as well.
i would suggest once you have good bevel to proceed with pyramids - read mparker's recent posts in the recent pyramid thread if you want even further perspective on why your chances for success are better that way.

there's not all that much to honing. i like alan's perspective on it - only two things to learn
(1) a light and consistent stroke.
(2) when to switch hones.

Top Bottom