What's new

Comparison Chart

Is there a reference chart that lists de blades in order from sharp to smooth?
Or something of that nature.

When I go online I keep getting the same lame chart.

I think you look for @Ron R

Edit: and it seems that you already got some answers :)

I think you look for @Ron R

Edit: and it seems that you already got some answers :)
I know I have been given charts with some comparisons. I was hoping there would be a comprehensive data base that you could find information about almost any blade.

I shaved with a Derby today. And just the improvement in my technique since I first started made the blade so much better than it was in May.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Here is a small lot of blades that I have and used the Gillette Astra SP as my standard to compare with, this is just a ball park rating of my experiences with them from use.
My top 5 De blades start with the Gillette silver blue it just crosses into the sharpest column but stays mostly in the sharp & smooth column creating a nice blade to use.
Most of my favorites are mainly in the sharp & smooth column crossing into the sharpest column seems to be a great combination for my use. I made this simple chart to help explain my preferences of a quality blade. I should update some day because I have few new additions along the way. More blades can make things confusing for Newbies and others so this should help most folks IMO.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Additional information that is also a good reference!
Have some great shaves!

Here is a small lot of blades that I have and used the Gillette Astra SP as my standard to compare with, this is just a ball park rating of my experiences with them from use.
My top 5 De blades start with the Gillette silver blue it just crosses into the sharpest column but stays mostly in the sharp & smooth column creating a nice blade to use.
Most of my favorites are mainly in the sharp & smooth column crossing into the sharpest column seems to be a great combination for my use. I made this simple chart to help explain my preferences of a quality blade. I should update some day because I have few new additions along the way. More blades can make things confusing for Newbies and others so this should help most folks IMO.
View attachment 1489284

Additional information that is also a good reference!
Have some great shaves!
Thanks for this Ron, I have been shaving my head with (feather) for many years. I use one of the

Merkur razors for many years. Typically, amazon the blades. I ran out recently and went to CVS where the only safety available was "Goodline" which I used. What I noticed is massive improvement (irritation) .... this is what led me here. Could the Sharper feather just have been too much for my skin etc.? Or is the Goodline razor just better for me? An ingrown here or there.... but with the use of the goodline / same techniques.....seems like my skin was a bit happier... and my scalp floccules as well lol. I wanted to get you take on what i may have uncovered after finding you list complied that's speaks to blade sharpness. Where would you say the GOODLINE falls in you list?​

Thanks for this Ron, I have been shaving my head with (feather) for many years. I use one of the

Merkur razors for many years. Typically, amazon the blades. I ran out recently and went to CVS where the only safety available was "Goodline" which I used. What I noticed is massive improvement (irritation) .... this is what led me here. Could the Sharper feather just have been too much for my skin etc.? Or is the Goodline razor just better for me? An ingrown here or there.... but with the use of the goodline / same techniques.....seems like my skin was a bit happier... and my scalp floccules as well lol. I wanted to get you take on what i may have uncovered after finding you list complied that's speaks to blade sharpness. Where would you say the GOODLINE falls in you list?​

The Goodline razor is a re-branded Baili BT179. Most people would consider it a mild razor. I have not seen what razor blades are included with the Goodline, but I like Treet Platinums with my various Baili razors. You might also try Astra Superior Platinum when you run out of the Goodline blades - it's a quality, higher than medium sharpness blade that is very popular with wet shavers. (Whether Indian or Russian, it doesn't matter - both get good reviews.)

The Goodline razor is a re-branded Baili BT179. Most people would consider it a mild razor. I have not seen what razor blades are included with the Goodline, but I like Treet Platinums with my various Baili razors. You might also try Astra Superior Platinum when you run out of the Goodline blades - it's a quality, higher than medium sharpness blade that is very popular with wet shavers. (Whether Indian or Russian, it doesn't matter - both get good reviews.)
Would you say the Astra Superior Platinums are milder or that of the goodline or just a great one to try?

Would you say the Astra Superior Platinums are milder or that of the goodline or just a great one to try?
I haven't tried the Goodline razor blades and I do not know what they are private label versions of.

Astra SPs fit a wide variety of users and are justifiably popular. I personally would rate them about a 7.0 in sharpness if a Gillette Nacet is a 9, a Gillette Silver Blue an 8.5, and a Gillette Platinum is an 8. Just to give you an idea...

Ron R

If your just new to Traditional wet shaving I would stay in the Sharp and smooth column, a nice blade for shaving would be (Rapira platinum lux or the Derby premium> they work well but are not the sharpest IMO) or Gillette 7oClock Super Platinum that should be in the ball park your looking for. As you progress you might want to try different sharper & smooth blades IMO. If a blade works stick with it because the differences are minimal and coatings can also make a difference also.
If the blade feels harsh it is usually very sharp and will produce some weepers. A milder(dull) blade will feel tuggy to the whiskers and needs lots of buffing passes indicate that also causing irritations.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
If your just new to Traditional wet shaving I would stay in the Sharp and smooth column, a nice blade for shaving would be (Rapira platinum lux or the Derby premium> they work well but are not the sharpest IMO) or Gillette 7oClock Super Platinum that should be in the ball park your looking for. As you progress you might want to try different sharper & smooth blades IMO. If a blade works stick with it because the differences are minimal and coatings can also make a difference also.
If the blade feels harsh it is usually very sharp and will produce some weepers. A milder(dull) blade will feel tuggy to the whiskers and needs lots of buffing passes indicate that also causing irritations.
Have some great shaves!
Hey Ron, I'm here to improve / refine. I have been shaving my head since 2004 (literally) but after finding this awesome place I said there is obviously room for mastering some things..... know what I mean. Feels somewhat like a secret society lol. When I started It all began with a Merkur Super blade and R89 Muhle Razor (......In my mind I have always associated (Quote on Quote sharpest with the best). "I think that is a bad way to look at it" but that's what I did for a long time. I was gifted some feathers and never looked back.....thinking I was in the best place. I'm African American and have course hair. Instead of the overall issues with razor irritation (razor burn etc), I typically end up ingrown hairs when my body doesn't agree with the technique or razor I've used. At this point in my shaving life I have the technique together but some of the razors I've used have exhibited great quality shaves but when my hair begins to grows back what I typically have to fight with as a man of color is (INGROWN hairs). No matter the moisturizer / prep / pre or post shave etc, I have struggled with this.

I say all that to say the awesome part of being here is the fact there's people like you Ron that have used all sorts of blades and can guide me in trying different ones (possibilities) there is a new home out here for me when we speak of blades and possibly razor too lol! I really was pulled in to ask about these blades after being in a pinch and having to purchase a Goodline (CVS owned/branded) blade that no-one in here really seems to fool with and had zero irritation or ingrown hairs after the usage.

Ron what is a "weeper" lol? I have never heard that. I've used Feather Razors for the list 13 years.......now the big box drug store gave me something my body may like? Def not the closet shave.....Can you speak to the feathers any Ron and what sort of coating they may have that could be causing me issues for years? Thanks for your time. Thanks for all of the rec's I purchased some Durby Extra's and I don't think I even want to try them as I wasn't paying attention when I asked my wife to grab them and I see everyone is specifically saying "Premiums".

Ron R

Hey Ron, I'm here to improve / refine. I have been shaving my head since 2004 (literally) but after finding this awesome place I said there is obviously room for mastering some things..... know what I mean. Feels somewhat like a secret society lol. When I started It all began with a Merkur Super blade and R89 Muhle Razor (......In my mind I have always associated (Quote on Quote sharpest with the best). "I think that is a bad way to look at it" but that's what I did for a long time. I was gifted some feathers and never looked back.....thinking I was in the best place. I'm African American and have course hair. Instead of the overall issues with razor irritation (razor burn etc), I typically end up ingrown hairs when my body doesn't agree with the technique or razor I've used. At this point in my shaving life I have the technique together but some of the razors I've used have exhibited great quality shaves but when my hair begins to grows back what I typically have to fight with as a man of color is (INGROWN hairs). No matter the moisturizer / prep / pre or post shave etc, I have struggled with this.

I say all that to say the awesome part of being here is the fact there's people like you Ron that have used all sorts of blades and can guide me in trying different ones (possibilities) there is a new home out here for me when we speak of blades and possibly razor too lol! I really was pulled in to ask about these blades after being in a pinch and having to purchase a Goodline (CVS owned/branded) blade that no-one in here really seems to fool with and had zero irritation or ingrown hairs after the usage.

Ron what is a "weeper" lol? I have never heard that. I've used Feather Razors for the list 13 years.......now the big box drug store gave me something my body may like? Def not the closet shave.....Can you speak to the feathers any Ron and what sort of coating they may have that could be causing me issues for years? Thanks for your time. Thanks for all of the rec's I purchased some Durby Extra's and I don't think I even want to try them as I wasn't paying attention when I asked my wife to grab them and I see everyone is specifically saying "Premiums".
Weepers? it is when you have tiny dots of blood that show up when shaving but are not serious, sometimes when I have a skin blemish or small pimples the blade shears them off and I will have a small blood weeper.
Feather blade? They are made in Japan and do have a platinum coating on for edge for strength & are ground slightly different that gives a sharper narrower included angle but they are not as strong a edge as but are slightly sharper than most blades.
When your technique matures a Feather blade might be a ideal blade, I like Gillette blades because they make blades for my skin type mostly, Gillette has been making blades for around 120 years and are the best IMO!
Have some great shaves~

Top Bottom