What's new

Colonial razors

Anyone know if Colonial Razors is still in business? I've tried emailing the contact on their website for pricing/availability but haven't heard back. Social media doesn't look current.

I belive they have stopped making and selling razors. I seem to recall reading on B&B about a closing down sale, although I can't recall much beyond that. Glad I got my General when I did.

Not heard from them for over a year when they were prepping for the release of their new DE but it appears that has been shelved. They also mentioned vague plans for a General v3 once the DE was out. If there's no DE, the General looks highly unlikely at this point. BST is your best bet right now.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I posted this today in another thread:

The General V2 is very close to my Vectors in my personal rankings. It's a razor that I could happily use every day.

I asked the Colonial Razors folks if they planned on reintroducing The General V2, even perhaps (wishful thinking) in Titanium?

Unfortunately, the answer was 'no'. Colonial Razors wants to get their DE razor rolled out before considering anything else.

Colonial Razors is back active on Facebook this week. They say they are coming out with a new DE integrating learnings from the General and the Silversmith. They did say that once they have the new DE out the door, they may periodically have a General drop.

Interesting. I inquired a couple of weeks ago and got a response from Kyle who said they don't sell The General anymore.

For merchants, the general sales are not as good as the double-edged knife holder, and for buyers, his double-edged knife holder has no advantage

Glad I was able to get a General before they closed shop. He only had one head left (no handle) so I scarfed it up. It’s a good AC razor, but no match for my La Faulx. I used my General yesterday as it’s been awhile. It shaves well, but not as efficient (or smooth) as the La Faulx+ razor.

Interesting. I inquired a couple of weeks ago and got a response from Kyle who said they don't sell The General anymore.
That is correct, they don't sell it anymore but he messaged me the same as @Stikeyoda that it may well be revisited after the DE is released. Basically the same as what they did a few years ago after releasing the Silversmith they released a new General...
Glad I was able to get a General before they closed shop. He only had one head left (no handle) so I scarfed it up. It’s a good AC razor, but no match for my La Faulx. I used my General yesterday as it’s been awhile. It shaves well, but not as efficient (or smooth) as the La Faulx+ razor.
I just can't get by that huge safety bar on the La Faulx, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... But as you put it and many have confirmed it is a very efficient razor!! I will wait and see if another General is released as I squandered my chance to replace my V2 that I sold otherwise it will probably be a Vector in my future... I do miss having an A/C in my cabinet these days.

That is correct, they don't sell it anymore but he messaged me the same as @Stikeyoda that it may well be revisited after the DE is released. Basically the same as what they did a few years ago after releasing the Silversmith they released a new General...

I just can't get by that huge safety bar on the La Faulx, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... But as you put it and many have confirmed it is a very efficient razor!! I will wait and see if another General is released as I squandered my chance to replace my V2 that I sold otherwise it will probably be a Vector in my future... I do miss having an A/C in my cabinet these days.
Yeah the safety bar is rather large but I believe it adds to the smoothness. The Classic plate is ok, about like the General in efficiency. The medium + plate adds a bit more which I prefer for my daily shaves. Excellent razor.

If Colonial comes out with a new General at some point, I certainly would be interested in getting one.

Colonial Razors is back active on Facebook this week. They say they are coming out with a new DE integrating learnings from the General and the Silversmith. They did say that once they have the new DE out the door, they may periodically have a General drop.

They have been working on a DE on and off for several years, yes I know they took a break but the DE was being prototyped a couple of years ago. Plans or ideas for a General v3 was mentioned at the same time, dependent on the sales of the new multi-plate DE. I guess this is the same razor.

I had the brass General at one point but yes the Atelier Durdan AC is a worthy replacement. I have borrowed the v2 General but never managed to find one for sale.

There used to be a generic v2, sold, then turned around and didn't like it ,until la faulex overtook the v2, including the price, and the wr4 was on its way

I will wait and see if another General is released as I squandered my chance to replace my V2 that I sold otherwise it will probably be a Vector in my future... I do miss having an A/C in my cabinet these days.
Actually looking back at this I realized it was the V1 SS General that I had and missed out on the V2 SS... There's one listed in the BST on another forum but for an astronomical price....$500!! I think its been listed since some time back in September and doubt it will ever sell at that price.

Top Bottom