What's new

Coffee pods anyone?

Received a Keurig as a gift a few years ago and used it for a while. Never produced anything better than my trusty single serve coffee maker. It was recently donated to a thrift store. It won't be missed.

I have the Nespresso original machine, (19 bars of pressure). I think it’s very nice for what it is. At this point in my life I prefer moka pot brew, but once in a while I do enjoy espresso. I do like going from zero to espresso in less than 2 minutes, I also enjoy the different capsules that are available. Tuesday I picked up at the Nespresso store a couple of sleeves, a Kona & a Jamaica Blue Mountain, something I probably wouldn't have bought bags of for my moka pot. It’s so easy the wife can make coffee now and not wake me up 😉

Once upon a time - there was a man named Joel who roasted his own coffee. All of his friends and family clamored to get his delicious home roasted coffee as a gift, or a fabled cup during a visit. One day, Joel wasn't paying attention to the bean hopper in his super auto - and ran out of coffee beans. Joel's better half wasn't amused. Let's just say - that's an understatement.

The very next day TWO Nespresso machines were on Joel's countertop with an assortment of pods. He tired them all... and then - the oaf understood the message. He wasn't being outsourced, he was being punished. It's been about 4 years now that Joel has always had a hopper full of home roasted beans in the super-auto, and that those %*#@^($! Nespresso's have sat dormant on the countertop, taunting him.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
We have a Nespresso sitting in the counter next to the Moccamaster. The pods make an ok cup. My wife orders Salted Caramel syrup for her drinks and it keeps her from buying coffee at a drive through. I personally like them mixed with Bourbon Cream.

I’m not sure if something has changed but the Nespresso pods are all aluminum now. Nespresso will send you a prepaid UPS shipping bag to send used pods back to them and they use the grounds for compost and recycle the aluminum.* You can also drop off used pods at some retail locations like William Sonoma and Sur La Table.

*Im pretty skeptical of any recycling program nowadays, but from everything I’ve been able to find Nespresso is actually recycling pods and grounds.

Happy New Year!!!!

Pods are convenient and offer a broad selection of coffees.

The Espresso machine at work can produce coffee and it trumps the Pods in taste and flavor.

At home pour overs, Aeropress and steep then strain rule.

Pour over dripper: V60, Kalita wave, Melitta and Chemex.

Aeropress the inventor’s recipe makes a sweet cup.

Steep and strain: this comes very close to French Press without grinds in your cup.

350 grams of filtered water just off boil into a plastic measuring cup.

21 grams of fresh coarsely ground medium roast coffee.

Let the water coast down to 185F. Pour the coffee in and stir just enough to get all the grounds wet.

Steep for 2 minutes.

Break the crust and let the grounds start to settle out.

Poured the slurry into a preheated and rinsed Melitta Brewer with the #4 filter.

Filtering was completed by the 3 minute mark.

Next go around: steep 2 minutes 30 seconds with water at 190F.

Cleanup was much easier and faster than the French Press. Full control over the brew process.

Enjoy,
Happy New Year!!!

Eben Stone

Staff member
While not actually "pods" the best non-espresso coffee I've ever had is from my Philips Senseo machine which uses round flat disc shaped single serving bags. The machine is no longer made. I got mine free plus some samplers about 10 years ago. Fantastic coffee, magnitudes better than any drip coffee I've ever had, so I definitely think that good coffee from pods is possible. I keep the rounds in a vacuum canister and they seem to stay fresh, at least for my tastes, for weeks. Without the vacuum canister they go stale very quickly. This is what I use at work. Another nice thing about the rounds is there is no plastic.

As far as actual pods, the Folgers Black Silk for Keurig is good. Not great but good. I got the idea to try these from some other thread here. I will probably buy more when I run out.

Pods are an expensive way to go. I just ditched the pods and bought a stove top espresso maker. Way cheaper and for me it tastes better too. Pods are great for convenience though. I will probably take the pod machine to site.

My folks have a Keurig machine. It is becoming finicky. It doesn't reliably puncture the pod. When ejecting the pod, sometimes it jams and won't drop free into the bin.

I have have a "B&B stlye" assortment of coffee machines / makers. I mostly drink espresso, and some filter for variety. I have had a POD machine at the office a while back. It makes espresso, but nothing like a proper grinder + espresso machine would provide. On the plus side, it is real coffee in the pods. Unfortunately, the capsules almost completely killed the POD market, imo. I would not invest in a POD coffee machine. If you want a convenient and fast coffee maker, get yourself an Aeropress. You'll be surprised of the quality of coffee this little tube gives you in a matter of minutes. No fuss. And you can tune the coffee to your taste (short, long, strong, weak, etc...) It is so good I use it every day for the 2nd coffee of the day.

P.s.: forgot to mention that it's price is very reasonable. ~30€ here.

proxy.php

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nespresso makes a solid cup. It may not be anything to rave on about, but it ain't bad. The first generation machines were a good deal better.

I've never had anything out of Keurig that made me jump up for the next cup, but they work fine for many settings, especially those where folks want different coffees (and even more so when they want flavored coffee). The Peet's Major Dickason wasn't bad when I had it, and what often shows up in hotels gets the job done.

I may be staying in a room with a Lavazza machine for a week, so I can report back about that.

The deal is that, after drinking espresso and French press coffee from home roasted, freshly ground, high quality beans for some years, about anything from a pod machine tends to be fairly flat.

Reactions: abj
My spendthrift cousin got a top-of-the-line Keurig. With all the bells & whistles, accessories & geegaws. She offered me a cup of coffee (to me a cup of coffee is 16-24 oz). What I got was this wussy little 6 oz cup of pretty weak coffee. To brew up an entire carafe would have burned thru her inventory of coffee at considerable expense.
Fortunately, they recently moved to Michigan. If I ever happen to go visit, the first thing packed will be my Aeropress.

I had been using Nespresso capsules in Nespresso machines for over 25 years, and the coffees were fine. About two years ago I tried Nespresso capsules from Difference Coffee, and to me the flavor “difference” is amazing. I no longer add sugar (in the past I used Turbinado). My favorites are Jamaica Blue Mountain and Wild Kopi Luwak (if you are not familiar with Kopi Luwak, it is worth a Google search to read about one of the most interesting, fun, and weird coffees in the world.)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I started using the Keurig machine at work. I was never a fan but the nearest Starbucks is a closed periodically during the day for one reason or another now. A few walks over to find it closed made the Keurig look much more attractive. I found the Newman pods ok and bought Starbucks Sumatra and just got a crate of peets coffee.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I just had a cup of Lavazza Perfecto from a Kurig. Wow it is strong! I'm embarrassed to admin this, but I actually had to add some water. ☺️ I'm irritated that my Amazon subscribe and save is in route with Folgers Black Silk. It's probably the best non espresso cup of coffee I've ever had.

Top Bottom