What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Thanks for the great review, Paul. I completely agree with you that the Cobra IS just a blade holder and the magic is in the blades. Unfortunately I never got the knack for the Feather AC system so at this point it is my only option to use the blades, but I think that will be changing soon. I also appreciate you adding your thoughts in relation to your DEs and the quality of the shave.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Well I've been trying a few things out with the cobra. Let me start out with, I shave with all kinds of razors but I like the Schick's the best for all round great shaves. My blades of choice are Kai pro guard and Feather super pro and I cut them down an put them in my E2's.
I was hoping the cobra would be like the Schick on steroids but it wasn't. The cobra feels good in my hand and gives a good shave but just doesn't maneuver very well. For me the blade width make it hard to find a smooth angle. My Schick and Feather is 2 pass BBS the cobra after the first pass going slow I had more nicks and cuts then my first straight shave. I used a pro guard next and it was better but not even close too my Schick w/pg this combo is so smooth you have to try to nick your self . The cobra is well made, a breeze to load
nicely finished and seems to be a great shaver to a lot of people just not me. Truly a YMMV. I'll try a couple of more shaves then send it on. I'm grateful for the chance to try this razor out, I learned a lot. Thanks Mike for a Great passaround.:biggrin1:

It's getting closer! This should hit right after I get my Mongoose. It'll be great to do a side by side comparison. I'll post a lengthy review comparing the two.

It's getting closer! This should hit right after I get my Mongoose. It'll be great to do a side by side comparison. I'll post a lengthy review comparing the two.

Any idea what the price will be on the Mongoose? It's definitely appealing, but I do hope that they price it more in the range of the nicer all stainless steel DE razors as opposed to the Cobra and Cobra King.

In my opinion, both Cobra razors are a bit overpriced, just because they can. They could price it as high as they wanted because they've had the entire market share on this type of razor and had zero competition. It'll be interesting to see if some competition changes this provided enough of each can be made to actually impact the other's sales.

In my opinion, both Cobra razors are a bit overpriced, just because they can. They could price it as high as they wanted because they've had the entire market share on this type of razor and had zero competition. It'll be interesting to see if some competition changes this provided enough of each can be made to actually impact the other's sales.

well said.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
First shave this morning with CC and a Feather Pro. First thing is boy this razor is heavy. Only one that is even close to it that I shave with is my GEM MM Bullet Tip and even that seems light. Used it for both head and face shaving. It bit me on more than one occasion, but overall wound up with a nice DFS. My main concern with the razor is that it's quite large which trying to get into tight places like under the nose a bit more difficult. I'll use the Feather again tomorrow for just face shaving and then try the Captain Mild to see how I like that.

Second shave this morning. This time only face. Usually shower prep and went with my Vie Long 13710 and some CO Bigelow cream. Did my usual 3 pass with touch-ups and wound up with a nice DFS. Bit me again on the neck, but I'll just chalk that one up to getting technique down with it. Feels like I can shave half my face in one stroke with since the blade is so much longer than a SE or injector blade. Overall enjoying the razor, but I don't think I'd shell out the 200 bucks for it at this point. Sent PM to kbull719 to get his address so I send out to him either Friday or Saturday.

The creator said the price would be around $150. It is fully stainless steel and has universal threads that accept most other handles. In the future there is a possibility that you could purchase just the head from retailers.

The creator said the price would be around $150. It is fully stainless steel and has universal threads that accept most other handles. In the future there is a possibility that you could purchase just the head from retailers.

Thank you. I think they will sell a lot of these quickly at that price. Hopefully this prompts Cobra to do a stainless steel version that accepts other handles as well.

I have no idea why they didn't just design the King Cobra to be able to accept other handles. They were 95% of the way there.

Third Shave with Feather Pro this morning resulting in a nice 3 pass DFS. Face feels very very smooth and except for a very small weeper it was the best shave yet with the Feather. Finally getting used to the weight of the handle. While I still wouldn't shell out 200 bucks for the razor because I can't justify spending that much $ on something that I can get similar results with at 1/10th the price not counting the cost of blades, Classic Shaving did an excellent job building the razor. Ready to send it on to kbull719.

Also wanted to add that I'll probably wind up cutting down the two blades I use and take them for a test drive in my Schick E since it's easy to swap blades in it.

OK going out today to MercerGent via USPS Priority 2-Day mail. 250 insured. Added a sample of Stirling Lime and Honeybee Soaps Spell Bound Woods in the box. Slightly used, but plenty for people to test out.

Last edited:
What happened to the thread "The Mongoose: A Stainless Steel alternative to the Cobra Classic?" I received notifications but the thread appears to have disappeared.

Top Bottom