What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Just an update, I packed up the Cobra Classic along with all of the goodies and shipped it off to Ray Settanta yesterday.

First of all, thank you very much for letting me test drive this razor, poonjaji. Your generosity is unbelievable. I'm very glad to have been a part of this.

So my overall impression of the Cobra Classic is positive but I found it wasn't for me. It's nicely made with a good heft and finish. It gave a DFS with very little effort. There's another thread on the B&B about quality issues but if there were any defects on this CC, I didn't notice it. I shaved with the Kai Mild blade for 3 shaves and with a Feather Pro for 2 shaves and always did two passes: WTG, ATG. I found that the Feather Pro provided a noticeably better shave and seemed to fit the CC perfectly. The Kai Mild fit but didn't seem to be lined up as well. I discovered that I didn't care for the shape of the handle or the blade loading/unloading mechanism. Regarding the width, I found it to be a double-edged sword for me. The width was great on my cheeks and on parts of my neck because I could cover more ground. But this hindered my shaving around my chin and upper lip for the same reason.

Perhaps if the CC were cheaper, I would consider it more seriously. Instead, I'll likely stick with my current arsenal. Thanks again for the opportunity, Michael.

Thank you poonjaji for this tour. You have made it possible for people to try out a razor that many would hesitate to buy sight unseen.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil Soap
Family Dollar Deep Cleansing Skin Cream
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson Berkeley #46 Pure Badger
Razor: Cobra Classic (Tour)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink (Tour)
Post: Thayers Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Toner
A/S: Floid Vigoroso

The Pink blade did not feel sharp and gave me a DFS shave, WTG, XTG and ATG. Only two tiny weepers after ATG.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Soap: RazoRock XXX
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Pure Bristle Cherry Wood Handle
Blade: Feather Professional Blades (Tour)
A/S: Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic

Three pass shave, WTH, XTG and ATG. A great BBS shave and did not need any touch-ups. No cuts, nicks, weepers, irritation or any other unpleasantness. I think that I was intimidated yesterday by the ferocious reputation that this razor has. Today I shaved more confidently and had no problems at all. Something I noticed yesterday was very interesting. After I loaded the blade, I thought that the blade gap on one side was larger than the other. Then I found the problem. The blade was not fully in back of the tab on one side. After reloading the blade more carefully, the problem was solved. I fully seated the new Feather blade easily today and the gap problem did not reoccur. I wonder if this improper seating of the blade is the reason that the Cobra has an unfortunate reputation as an overly aggressive and hard to use razor?

Something I noticed yesterday was very interesting. After I loaded the blade, I thought that the blade gap on one side was larger than the other. Then I found the problem. The blade was not fully in back of the tab on one side. After reloading the blade more carefully, the problem was solved. I fully seated the new Feather blade easily today and the gap problem did not reoccur. I wonder if this improper seating of the blade is the reason that the Cobra has an unfortunate reputation as an overly aggressive and hard to use razor?

I noticed the same thing, Ray. I think it's because the CC was not designed for the Kai Milds. They'll fit but take a little more work to load properly. Good choice switching to the Feather's for the second day; I wish I had spent my entire week using the Feather Pro's.

Friday, July 20, 2012
Soap: Martin De Candre
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger
A/S: Master Bay Rum

Day Three with the Cobra. WTG, XTG and ATG and no touch-ups. Easy BBS shave with no problems. The Feather Pro Blades are much better for me than the Kai Pink.

Monday, July 23, 2012
Shave Stick: Arco
Brush: Semogue 1460 Natural Boar Bristle
A/S: Vintage English Leather

Day four with the Cobra. With each shave, I have been growing accustomed to the blade angle and the shape of the handle. Today, I had the best shave to date. An easy, three pass, BBS. When I say best shave yet, I don’t mean just with the Cobra. The shave today was the best shave that I have had from any of my razors and I am not excluding my Gillette Techmatic. Or maybe using Arco did it.

When I say best shave yet, I don’t mean just with the cobra
This has been my experience with the cobra. The feather blades are great.

Today, I had the best shave to date....maybe using Arco did it.
Of course it was the Arko! :biggrin1:

It has been a busy couple weeks and I apologize if I failed to respond to your PMs in a timely fashion. I appreciate all of the informative posts those of you on the tour have been sharing, and following is an updated list for the tour...in case Doppelgaenger is not following the thread. :wink:

North American Cobra Classic Tour
Ray Settanta (with razor)
Doppelgaenger
cpool222
Mike'sWorld
RondeB
LMTMRP
<your name goes here>

Last edited:
Package mailed to Doppelgaenger today. The Cobra was a wonderful experience. After I got over my initial apprehension (actually fear) of using this razor that has a ferocious reputation, I actually had some very enjoyable shaves. And after I changed from the Kai to the Feather. The last two were the best shaves I ever had in my life. Also, the handle shape did not present a problem to me.
I used several soaps and creams that I had on hand from the most expensive (MdC) to the most inexpensive (Arco). All worked well.
In summary, I would highly recommend the Cobra Classic. To me, the way it shaves is worth the cost. It requires paying attention to the shave or things can go wrong. But sometimes when I shave, I like the challenge. Thanks poonjaji.

Another brief tour update.

North American Cobra Classic Tour
Doppelgaenger (awaiting delivery)
cpool222
Mike'sWorld
RondeB
LMTMRP
ngai
<your name goes here>

Ok, so after a tense couple of days thinking that the razor had possibly been lost by the postal service, (it was lost in limbo for three days as they sent it an hour south of me and it had to backtrack) I got the razor.

First impression when I picked up the box was "what the hell is all this smell coming out of it" then I realized all the goodies that are in there.

First shave I went with everyone else's recommendation and loaded a Feather PRO blade straight away instead of using the Kais, I also used some of the Golddachs macho sandalwood soap in the box, I have others I would like to try just based on the scent but I had yet to try sandalwood so this was a good time to do so (not terribly impressed with it).

Then came the actual shave: Wow that blade is sharp! I did two full passes WTG and XTG without drawing blood except for on one mole that I nick sometimes and it probably hadn't healed from monday when I nicked it with my DE razor. By the second pass I was starting to feel slight irritation so I decided against doing an ATG pass with a brand new blade. I used an included Ungaro aftershave sample (LOVE that scent) and didn't get much of a sting. There was no post-shave razor burn.

Impressions? I'm completely floored by how how incredibly efficient this razor is at cutting hair compared to a DE razor, especially on my upper lip. Running my hand in the directions I made my shaving passes, it feels BBS, and I know that if I had done 3 passes I would have gotten the best shave of my life (but I chickened out). I'm wondering if the irritation I experienced had to do with my lather because it was starting to dry out on the left side of my face by the time I was done with the right side. I'll try it with Proraso next and report back if I could do 3 passes.

Thanks for the opportunity to try this awesome razor.

Ok, so after a tense couple of days thinking that the razor had possibly been lost by the postal service, (it was lost in limbo for three days as they sent it an hour south of me and it had to backtrack) I got the razor.

First impression when I picked up the box was "what the hell is all this smell coming out of it" then I realized all the goodies that are in there.

First shave I went with everyone else's recommendation and loaded a Feather PRO blade straight away instead of using the Kais, I also used some of the Golddachs macho sandalwood soap in the box, I have others I would like to try just based on the scent but I had yet to try sandalwood so this was a good time to do so (not terribly impressed with it).

Then came the actual shave: Wow that blade is sharp! I did two full passes WTG and XTG without drawing blood except for on one mole that I nick sometimes and it probably hadn't healed from monday when I nicked it with my DE razor. By the second pass I was starting to feel slight irritation so I decided against doing an ATG pass with a brand new blade. I used an included Ungaro aftershave sample (LOVE that scent) and didn't get much of a sting. There was no post-shave razor burn.

Impressions? I'm completely floored by how how incredibly efficient this razor is at cutting hair compared to a DE razor, especially on my upper lip. Running my hand in the directions I made my shaving passes, it feels BBS, and I know that if I had done 3 passes I would have gotten the best shave of my life (but I chickened out). I'm wondering if the irritation I experienced had to do with my lather because it was starting to dry out on the left side of my face by the time I was done with the right side. I'll try it with Proraso next and report back if I could do 3 passes.

Thanks for the opportunity to try this awesome razor.

I'm glad that the package finally arrived. Hope you enjoy your experience with the Cobra.

Top Bottom