What's new

Cleaning Vintage Safety Razors: DO's and DON'T's

This is great for a when you get a new razor (new to you), but what about maintenance cleaning? I've noticed that I'm getting a white haze on my razor after a couple of weeks (I've heard this is typical of Proraso and others). What's the best way to clean this that is the least aggressive or possibly damaging to my razor? I know I can use scrubbing bubbles, but I don't know if that is a good thing to use weekly if I'd like my razor to last another 70+ years.

I've noticed that I'm getting a white haze on my razor after a couple of weeks (I've heard this is typical of Proraso and others). What's the best way to clean this that is the least aggressive or possibly damaging to my razor?

Submerge in hot water with a splash of Distilled White Vinegar, let it soak for an hour or so, rinse off and enjoy! If there is residue left, scrub with a toothbrush if needed.

I get the same white residue from Proraso Red soap.

Here's a don't:

Don't use Scrubbing Bubbles indiscriminately on a Gillette adjustable razor. It will remove the black paint from the numbers.

I recently bought a vintage gillette that seems to have what looks like water stains on the head of the razor. I tried soaking in hot water and also scrubbing it down with dish soap. It seemed to help some but not completely, is there anything else safe that I can try to remove hard water stains? Does polish help with this?

Is alcohol and scrubbing bubbles safe to use on paint, like a red tip, or is there a better method for those razors?

This is great for a when you get a new razor (new to you), but what about maintenance cleaning? I've noticed that I'm getting a white haze on my razor after a couple of weeks (I've heard this is typical of Proraso and others). What's the best way to clean this that is the least aggressive or possibly damaging to my razor? I know I can use scrubbing bubbles, but I don't know if that is a good thing to use weekly if I'd like my razor to last another 70+ years.

What electromike said works great. For a quick cleaning I generally use a mild hand soap and a toothbrush to clean my razor every time I change the blade. This eliminates most of the soap scum and I rarely need to use a vinegar soak.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for mineral oil and can't find it. ANYWHERE!! can I safely use 3 in 1 oil from my NordicTrack?
Huh? Mineral oil is a common drugstore item. It should be as easy to find as Witch Hazel, Isopropyl Alcohol, or Hydrogen Peroxide. Ask at your local pharmacy.

Anyone have any opinion on just running them through the dishwasher?
Did it to a SS with no ill effect.
I've heard of people doing it. I see nothing wrong with this procedure.

One of the methods we use for cleaning is hot water and dishsoap. And a dishwasher does basically the same thing. I would, however, give it a pre-cleaning and remove any standing soap scum and signs of rust, then let the dishwasher give it a final polish. Make sure they are separated from any other metal objects like stainless steel or silver flatware, spatulas, etc.

For 3-piece razors, disassemble them. For TTOs, open them as wide as you can and put them in the basket head down.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A very good thread and thought I would give my latest cleaning procedure for cleaning.
1/ When I get a old vintage razors I will drop them in the water first and then bring to a boil and then let them cool off for a little bit and then but on some nitril gloves and then scrub tooth brush with dawn dish soap to remove as much soap grim as possible. Repeat that a second time procedure with a short boil and scrub.
2/ I used this recently on some vintage razors with amazing results(did not have Flitz or MAAS polishing compound) for the final cleaning I used with a tooth brush and Weiman glass cook top cleaner with no water.
Amazing amount of dirt this stuff will pick up still and make the razor look like new IMO.
Rinse with water and scrub with tooth brush as water is removing cleaner and let it dry for a bit and then take dry tooth brush and lightly brush the metal to remove any left over residual white powder in small hard to get at spots and the results are outstanding IMO.
If you want brass to have patina visual look don't use Weiman cleaner because it will remove the surface oxides and varnish coating and leave a bright clean metal.
razor cleaner.jpg

3/ Buy some 70+% Isopropyl Alcohol (cheap stuff) and leave to soak totally submergerd in the Alcohol for at least 1 hr IMO and then take a clean micro rag and touch up for a beautiful shine. It will look like a new razor IMO.
Cleaned razors.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up some pipe cleaners in the craft area of the local Walmart. They work great for cleaning between the plates of adjustable razors. I have mostly stopped using Scrubbing Bubbles. I find Dawn dish soap and a medium tooth brush does the trick. I only do a quick swish in Alcohol then rinse with cool water and towel off. Great thread, very helpful!

Was confused by all the Scrubbing Bubbles options. So many versions. Can someone post a link to one they would recommend?

You need to be careful with the alcohol as I loaned out my Copper Windsor to a friend and he soaked it in the alcohol and it removed the coating on the razor to keep it from patina, now I need to polish it regularly

Top Bottom