What's new

Cleaning Ebay Straights

Purchased few ebay razors are soon going to be sent to a honemeister, however was wondering how so i disinfect/clean them properly?

Thanks

depends on what you mean by clean. Do you mean cosmetically remove rust and tarnish or do you mean disinfect. I would for a start use a good metal polish. Some people use MAAS but I think it is rubish. I only use the different levels of English Custom Polish but then again I restore razors on SRP. To make sure there isn'y any funky stuff on there I would swab it with alchohol after polishing but don't let it sit or it will rust it.

I tend to use: pipe cleaners, gun barrel cleaning patches, rags, warm water, rubbing alcohol and polish....sometimes sandpaper and exacto knives. It all depends on what I'm trying to clean off and how bad it is.

Purchased few ebay razors are soon going to be sent to a honemeister, however was wondering how so i disinfect/clean them properly?

Thanks

Toothbrush and dish soap, also use a q-tip to get the DNA off between the scales and at the pivot pin. Polish up with MAAS, wash again and then soak for one minute in a 10:1 dilluted bleach.

Glen

Here's what I do:
  1. Open razor to a 90-degree angle, place on a dishtowel or 2-3 sheets of paper towel, and spray liberally with Scrubbing Bubbles.
  2. Let it sit for a few minutes, then turn it over and repeat Step 1.
  3. Wait about five minutes, then pick the razor up and gently scrub all surfaces with a soft toothbrush; you can use whatever fits easily between the scales (handles) to clean there.
  4. Rinse off with warm water, then dry all surfaces with a clean rag or more paper towelling.
  5. As suggested previously, use pipe cleaners, toothpicks, and/or dental floss to clean any hard-to-reach areas, such as around the pivot pin (always dirty and difficult).
This is what I did, and it worked for me. Now I'm at the stage where I'll remove the pivot pin and really go to town on cleaning the entire blade; this also allows me to thoroughly clean the scales. But it didn't happen overnight for me, and that might never be your goal; so, the five steps I outlined here will help you prepare your razors for a honemeister, as well as for periodic maintenance once you've gotten them back and begun to use them on a daily basis.

Good luck, and Smooth shaving!

Top Bottom