What's new

"Classic" Semogue - which brush?

The Semogue 1460 may not be the "iconic" brush to B&B members but it does represent a quintessential layman's shaving brush that would be used throughout the world. A great performer that doesn't feel the need to sport phony badger stripes.

1305 it is, and you do not want to soak any brush in really hot water. I wipe my brush handle and knot after each use and will last a long time.

Since the Semogue 1305 and the 1800 have the same knot, I'd go with the 1800 to avoid any paint issues.

Noah, they are different. The 1800 is Banded imitation badger Extra 75% tops mixed with Banded imitation badger Premium 90%. The 1305 is Premium 90% tops.

I thought one of their nicest handles was the 830, which should be on the way to me soon! Can't wait to try it!

Also sounds like I need a 1305 at some point... just because :)

Thanks for all the great discussion! I'm going with the 1305 (first!) as the green reminds me of the Portuguese flag.

I like the color scheme on the 1460 as well...

Last edited:
I have a dozen Semogues and to me, the classics are the wooden handles, both painted and natural. I have never had a problem with any of them. They just need a little bit of care. It isn't rocket science. You don't soak the handles and you don't drop them. Again, it isn't rocket science. Don't dop them and don't soak them and they will give you years of wonderful service. If you can't handle this, (no pun intended) stick with the plastic handles. The acrylic handles are ok, and I have some, but they are not the classics.

Noah, they are different. The 1800 is Banded imitation badger Extra 75% tops mixed with Banded imitation badger Premium 90%. The 1305 is Premium 90% tops.

Thanks for the correction. All this time I thought they were the same knot. I'll edit my former post.

Thanks for all the great discussion! I'm going with the 1305 (first!) as the green reminds me of the Portuguese flag.

I like the color scheme on the 1460 as well...

+1 Although there's no Portuguese blood in my family, I did grow up with a lot of Portuguese folks in my neighborhood. (google Caldo Verde or Kale Potato soup). The colors of the painted brushes are very handsome.

Hi gents,

The 1305, being a hand painted wooden handle, doesn't provide the same kind of durability has a plexi handle.
Apart from chipping when dropped into hard surfaces like the floor or sink, some customers have damaged this great brush by exposing it to hot water on the knot area.
See below two pictures of a perfectly fine handle next to a damaged one that has been drowned into hot water. Needless to say that the knot was also damaged:

proxy.php

You are 100% correct, yes mine has a chip in the paint, because IIIII dropped it. Not Semouges fault I dropped it, it didnt come chipped. The 1305 is a wooden handle, thats one of the main reasons I purchased mine. This is the brush to have from Semouge IMO. Leon provides nothing but quality products, and I 100% recommend and support this top shelf vendor. Hes correct too, the wooden handle brushes require more attention and care. Its very simple, dont drop it, soak it in super hot water, and yours will be fine. Mine is absolutetly wonderful, and totally broken in, and an absolute treat to own and use!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with everyone who says the wooden handles, as used for the SOC, 1305, etc are Classic - my SOC boar is my favourite brush, and I much prefer the handle to the small plastic ones used by most makers.

In fact, I've been drooling over a SOC 2-band for a while, and I was managing to resist it until this thread, and this other one - I now have one on order :001_smile

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...

Oh, how I long for a 1305 handle in resin! Wish I could afford a custom.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...

Oh, how I long for a 1305 handle in resin! Wish I could afford a custom.

You really should contact Rudy for an estimate, I have a Vie-Long Knot Set in a Rudy Vey Handle & it gets more use than my Shavemacs.

You really should contact Rudy for an estimate, I have a Vie-Long Knot Set in a Rudy Vey Handle & it gets more use than my Shavemacs.

Yeah, I know. But I am unemployed, and lately SWMBO has been keeping a pretty close eye on the shave den.

Why won't Semogue just do it?! :cursing:

Is the RV you are referring to the "Green Lantern"? (That one was burned into my retina's for a week!)

Top Bottom