What's new

"Classic" Semogue - which brush?

Which brush handle epitomizes the Semogue brand? Without considering the knot, which handle screams classic Semogue? My next brush will be a Semogue boar, and I am thinking 1305, but I don't want to miss a classic handle. Thanks for any comments!

Last edited:
I have two brushes - a Simpson Persian Jar 3 in super, and a Semogue 1305. The Simpson always looks on with jealousy as my Semogue gets it's daily workout.

Well, I would say that the handle design of the 1305 is very significant for Semogue.
Apart from the 1305 that design is found in the 1250, 1800, 2010, 2015 and Semogue Owners Club line (2-band and Special grade Boar).

I'm guessing you are going for a boar brush. I don't know your preferences, but if money isn't an object I would recommend the Semogue Owners Club, the hairs in that brush is just awesome.
Otherwise you won't go wrong with either of the 1305, 1250 or 1800.
I've got several Semogue's and none has disappointed me, they are of great quality and good value for money in my opinion.

The SOCs handle is thicker than that of the 1250/1305/1800. If this is your first boar purchase, I'd recommend against getting the SOC. The 1800/1305 have great face feel, with the 1250 slowly behind.

The 1305 is iconic.
So is the plexi handle in the 620 and the 610, but they are more common.

The 1305 shape seems the way to go.
The SOCs are a bit bigger indeed, so take that into consideration.

Both are winners, though.

I would say that the 1305 is the most iconic brush, in the whole line-up of Semogue.

I have almost ~20 Semogues in my collection (and there's a new one coming!), a good part of them are discontinued models, but the 1305 deserves a special place (and gets a lot of use!).

Seems to be a consensus on the 1305. I thought I would hear more about the clear brushes and I think I'm glad I did not! Let me check out the rest of these brushes... And thanks!

Hi gents,

The 1305, being a hand painted wooden handle, doesn't provide the same kind of durability has a plexi handle.
Apart from chipping when dropped into hard surfaces like the floor or sink, some customers have damaged this great brush by exposing it to hot water on the knot area.
See below two pictures of a perfectly fine handle next to a damaged one that has been drowned into hot water. Needless to say that the knot was also damaged:

proxy.php

A possible caveat on buying the 1305 is the relative fragility of the painted handle. Mine has cracked, chipped, and the color has faded in the last two years, go with the SOC because I'm not selling my '09 LE !, no way no how. That's the classic Semogue handle IMHO.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa385/m3m0ryleak/Shaving/Semoguetrio.jpg

+1 As much as I love my 1305. The paint has chipped at the top of the handle right below the silver ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1305 is the only brush my wife has actually made a point of complimenting....said it looked "like something out of an old movie."

I'd stick my Caravela knot in a cherry SOC handle without hesitation if it was doable. I love the SOC/1305/1800 type shape.

As far as "Iconic" Semogues the consensus seems to be around the 1250/1800/1305/SOC handle. (I own and love the 1800 and 1305).

Yet I consider the humble 1460, 1520 or 1438 with there painted barrel handles and dense scritchy bristles that eat soaps and lets your face know that it's morning as you lather up to be primal boars.

I'd be curious to know if these designs predate the more luxurious softer boars such as the 1305 or SOC's.

One note about the finish of the painted brushes. I seem to recall in older posts that there were some acknowledged problems with Semogues paint process. IIRC, there were several accounts of Vintage Scent standing behind the Semogues they sold. Having said that, there were also several stories of 1305's being dropped and chips coming out of the paint finish. When that happened to me, I viewed it as part of the brush being broken in. Even though I collect brushes, they are working brushes and it's okay that they look like that.

In any event, I believe that you can't go wrong with any Semogue brush.

Hi gents,

The 1305, being a hand painted wooden handle, doesn't provide the same kind of durability has a plexi handle.
Apart from chipping when dropped into hard surfaces like the floor or sink, some customers have damaged this great brush by exposing it to hot water on the knot area.
See below two pictures of a perfectly fine handle next to a damaged one that has been drowned into hot water. Needless to say that the knot was also damaged:

proxy.php

Definately Don't want to soak a wooden handle. I just saturate the knot itself and never the handle.

Clayton

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom