What's new

Chinese Gillette tech other handle

i recently shaved with this razor

attachment.php

and the shave is great but the handle is not, does somebody know which cheap handle's fit on this head?
(its the same head as the rubie, and the rapira)

I won one of those in PIF on here. I didn't like the cheap plastic handle on it either so I cut the plastic off and going to turn my own handle.

If the thread is either a 10-32 or M5-8 you can turn one of these...

$uploadfromtaptalk1395805048217.jpg

into one of these...

$uploadfromtaptalk1395805103517.jpg

Available at Harbor Freight for ~$3.50, you disassemble it, take out the punch and thread the remaining hole with the correct tap.

I have a Gillette Rubie and don't like the handle either. I used the handle from my EJ DE89, as well as one from Maggards MR20 and they worked fine. Weirdly, the handle from the Rubie wouldn't screw onto the other heads correctly!

Haha! Yes it does and I even use it in the LC in the second picture. It would also work on my Old Type but it requires a bit of counter drilling because the threads on the Old Type cap don't go far enough up the threaded stud.

BTW. This handle was not my original idea. I saw it here on B&B first and decided to give it a shot.

You can attach any standard Tech threaded handle to the Chinese Gillette. Here's mine with a Weber Classic handle:

Or with a ball end Tech handle for a better balance:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a bunch of these and found them all to be decent shavers - they're the Gillette Sterling. In terms of handle, well, any handle from the vintage Gillette arena will fit, as will most handles from modern razors. Custom, tapped with M5 thread will do.

Here's a few of mine:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Given how cheap they are, buy two, bust one open to use and one to display.

The handle on my Sterling got cut down, messed around and ultimately just the very top used with a custom turned handle for my old Comfort Lather Catcher, which I re-tapped to M5 and fitted a short grub screw which mated up with this handle perfectly.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom