What's new

Cheap DE Entertainment While On The Road

Last night in Central Oregon and I decided that after work I’d go hit up Bi-Mart, a kind of local version of Walmart, Ace Hardware, small town sporting goods store intermingled. Having read a number of times about surprises people find when they’re traveling I thought it was worth a shot just to see what a place that wasn’t CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart might carry.

A little unsettling how quickly I homed in on the shaving section. Seems the rabbit hole’s appetite is such that it sharpens DE instincts when the male of the species is quietly hunting retail spaces. Anyhoo, I easily (and somewhat haughtily) sally past all the canned goo and cartridge/disposable offerings and my eye catches a familiar name . . . Van Der Hagen. Interesting. My inner bean counter speaks up.

"If you find something it doesn’t mean you have to buy."

Pffft, duh! I reply. Gravity gently pushes my head forward for a closer look.

Second item in from the right lets loose a startling, if silent, plea. “Please help us!” There are several boxes of Van Der Hagen Shave Kits neatly aligned. AD quickly sidles up to Pity. “Look at those unfortunates. Nobody wants them.” Pity nods then snaps his fingers. My eyes go to the price tag on the shelf talker . . . $7.99. Joy!

I mutter under my breath Eight dollar make me holla! Then look around to see if anyone heard—nope.

I don’t have a boar brush yet, and I have seen a few reviewers who found these kits for about $15. Half the price means I’m doubly convinced I need it. If only to experience a cheap a** boar brush. I snag two—no, not greedy, my son doesn’t have a boar brush yet either. I was thinking of him. I know, I’m a good dad. :302:

VDH kit.jpg

Yeah, I’m leaving tomorrow, but precious little should come between a man and his DE toys . . . except maybe a good woman. I don’t have one of those so full steam ahead.

Pop out the brush . . . that thing is stiff! Potential flaky paint removal kind of stiff. Well, I’ve been on B&B long enough to know lots of guys suggest lathering with a new brush to begin the break-in process.

But you’re flying out tomorrow. There’s that buzzing again. I disregard it.

The brush needs to dry, as does the soap! Too late. I’m in zealous DE-guy mode already, fingers pulling open the soap container, water running to get it warm.

Load that knot of porcupine quills up and run riot in my travel lathering bowl; I was so ready to play with it I completely forgot it came with a bowl. Oh well.

Man, I went to town with that brush. Didn't hammer on it, but used a little pressure while swirling it around. Counted about a half dozen bristles lost, not unexpected from what I've read . . . and I'm not expecting a whole lot for seven bucks.

Got a decent little lather from the soap puck. Nothing as elegant or gorgeous as a tallow soap but absolutely works in a pinch I suppose. Not much to speak of fragrance-wise--smells like soap. Played around about 20 minutes or so, lost in my child-like reverie. Cleaned the brush out good, a few very gentle squeezes and a little blotting on a hotel towel. Then I heard the heating unit running. Sweet!

Carefully wiped down the soap container then placed the puck and brush on the table so they can be near the heating unit while it runs tonight. I almost forgot . . . I really need to smell the brush as I have yet to encounter the vile odors described by many who get new animal hair brushes. Right under the nose and . . . not much at all. There's something there but nothing nasty.

As far as I'm concerned that was a nice little bit of fun to be had on the cheap, something to assuage the DE beast, and more importantly, keep me from browsing more soaps.

You'll have to let us know how it is breaking in for you! It's amazing what little can amuse us. :)

The odor from boars is hit or miss, badgers can have it as well. Horse seems to be more hit than miss, but it smells like horse. I've had good luck removing the odors with Dawn soap when they were strong.

I must have done something right because I have yet to encounter 'funk' of any kind. May the Shave Gods be with me always :a2:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do the same when traveling... If only to marvel at overpriced stuff!

Great deal, brush will break in. Looks a lot like the Surrey brush...

AA

I have to say I kind of like the handle on it! Not big, but has a nice, solid feel to it. Not to imply that others are 'mushy', but you guys know what I mean.

It's actually a surprisingly decent brush. I have an older one that is nice and soft now and is at least equal to my Proraso/Omega boar. After it breaks in, it will look huge/dense.

Great story!!

‘...precious little should come between a man and his DE toys...’:a29::a29:

Tough to beat the entertainment value, and your new brush may break in better than you expect.

I have a couple VDH boar brushes and they are not bad. Both handles have cracked, but the hair loss has stopped and they are well broken in now. I might PIF one away very soon.

It's actually a surprisingly decent brush.
If you're right, Zipslack, that would be so completely awesome. I've been looking forward to trying a boar since I started this 'hobby' and to get some hardware on the cheap that punches above its weight only serves to put a finer polish on the endeavor.

Great story!!
Thanks BigJ!

I have a couple VDH boar brushes and they are not bad
If I can get a few months to a year with this potential little gem I will consider it a resounding success. To read that they are of greater value than the price implies makes this frugal guy smile.

I'm sitting here in Redmond airport. My AA flight was supposed to depart at 12:03pm and as I write this it is 6:04pm. Maintenance issue, not that an AA maintenance issue and delayed flight surprises me.

I won't get to board for another couple hours yet. But you have just made my day! Thank you sir!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great Post! You have a zest for life!

By the way, I bought a used brush once that reeked of death! It was a badger brush and, holy cow, nothing I did ever took the smell out! I also had one once that smelled like spoiled milk. Never got that smell out either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In the spirit of things that stink, I sent this to my son earlier while still waiting for updates on my long delayed flight home (yet another AA misadventure):

"There should be an official American Airlines shaving soap. Its scent would be that of a fresh turd on a hot day."

I think that probably beats spoiled milk, but not quite the stench of death.

My Semogue boar was never a problem. My one Vie Long horse however, smelled like the entire seventh cavalry rode into town. After a hard week of patrolling Apache territory. In the desert. With some casualties.

That was my first brush purchase way back in the 90s when VDH sold under the Surrey brand name. I was still using a cartridge razor back then, but the brush and soap idea really grabbed me.

I used that brush for almost 20 years and it was really nicely broken in, but I had gotten into DE shaving and discovered another brush that I really liked, so off it went to another B&B meber.

Enjoy your new gear!

I like my VDH long handles TTO razor (made by Weishi, I believe). It is mild, but with a very sharp blade it is a decent razor for clean-up passes to get BBS without irritation. I like more aggressive razors for initial passes, but can use the VDH as long as I shave every day.

I cannot say my VDH Luxury scented soap is anywhere close to my elite artisan soaps in performance, but for the price, it gives a decent shave.

For me the VDH blades do not cut it, literally. I have a tough beard and VDH ice-tempered blades, along with Merkur, Shark and Derby Extra blades, are not sharp enough to shave my beard without painful tugging. However, for someone with a beard that is not so tough, they might work. Fortunately, a lot of local stores sell house branded DE blades which appear to be Personna Israeli Reds that work well for me.

VDH products are available at a lot of local stores, so they are a potential source if you are traveling and need to replace something without resorting to the ubiquitous cartridge razors and canned foams and gels.

Top Bottom