What's new

Cella soap vs cream

so what's the difference in performance? also, why is the soap so damned expensive? is it possible to buy a Cella refill puck anywhere for a cheaper price?

Cella only comes as a soft soap with a putty like consistency, which some people consider a cream. It is a very good soap, one of my favorites in fact. I don't find it to be too expensive. Bullgoose sells the 150g tub for $11.50 and a one kilogram block for $42.00.

No, Cella refill pucks don't exist. Cella isn't really a soap "puck" to begin with. Think of it as dead center in between of being a hard soap and a shave cream. It's a very soft soap. You can buy a kilo of it for $45 which is extremely cheap for what you get. Other than that, I think that the $11 - $12 you pay for the red tub is a great deal. It's an excellent soap. My current favorite.

Even though it's a soft soap, it seems to last just fine. The red tub for around twelve bones is a great deal on a superb performer, IMHO.

I've been having a passionate love affair with Miss Cella for the past couple of months and am having trouble seeing other soaps, creams, etc. I want to date around, but every morning I see that lovely red tub smiling at me and remember all the great shaves we've had together. It's hard to roam right now.

I think Cella is actually quite inexpensive on a per-shave basis. I haven't even made a noticeable dent in the quantity so far. It takes so little of this stuff to get just the right amount of dense, creamy lather - as compared to pucks of hard soap that are a lot cheaper by the gram. I'd be halfway through one of those by now.

Cella and Valobra soft soaps are my favorites. I think the Cella provides a bit more comfort and glide and face-feel, but both are great. And cheap by the shave!

- Bill

I have a tub of Cella on the shelf but we've been struggling..she and I.

How are you guys lathering?

So far I've tried loading the brush right from the red tub and face lathering as well as mashing a dollop flat in the bowl and lathering there.

The formula seems to be somewhat stiff brush, and a much higher product to water ration than I am accustomed to with creams.. I don't own a bore brush (yet) so the brushes in my den with the strongest backbone are the Shea Moisture (aka Target Special) and a Frank Shaving Finest Badger..

drumana's right, there are no refill pucks. It's either Cella in the 150g tub or Cella as a 1 kg brick, which is one of those things that every wetshaver should have in their Official Shavepocalypse Preparedness and Survival Kit (tm).

I just load up on the brush from the red tub, then go straight to face lathering, with good results. If you're having trouble getting a good lather, "use more product" applies with Cella as with everything else, I think.

Last edited:
With soaps you start with very damp brush. Squeeze or shake the water out and add little bits of water while you lather. You don't need lots of water, especially at the start when you are loading a brush with any soap.

As someone who owns a soapmaking company, I can tell you that what Cella charges is more than reasonable. $11.50 is not much for 150 grams of soap, especially when you consider how good it is.

As someone who owns a soapmaking company, I can tell you that what Cella charges is more than reasonable. $11.50 is not much for 150 grams of soap, especially when you consider how good it is.

i'm not complaining about the price of the 150g cream, I just think $35+ for the soap is kinda spendy. I know you're getting more but it's a lot to spend for one thing of soap

i'm not complaining about the price of the 150g cream, I just think $35+ for the soap is kinda spendy. I know you're getting more but it's a lot to spend for one thing of soap

There is no cella cream at all, it's a soft soap. There is no difference in product if you buy the little 150g tub or the 1kg brick, they are both the same identical product (soft soap) just sold in different quantities. The big 1kg brick obviously works out to be insanely cheap considering it contains as much product as 6+ tubs for about the cost of 4 tubs. If you don't need 6 tubs of the stuff don't buy the big brick!

Last edited:
There is no cella cream at all, it's a soft soap. There is no difference in product if you buy the little 150g tub or the 1kg brick, they are both the same identical product (soft soap) just sold in different quantities. The big 1kg brick obviously works out to be insanely cheap considering it contains as much product as 6+ tubs for about the cost of 4 tubs. If you don't need 6 tubs of the stuff don't buy the big brick!

oh, my mistake. I was checking the WCS site and i'm sure they had the tub listed as a cream, not a soap

I have a tub of Cella on the shelf but we've been struggling..she and I.

How are you guys lathering?

So far I've tried loading the brush right from the red tub and face lathering as well as mashing a dollop flat in the bowl and lathering there.

The formula seems to be somewhat stiff brush, and a much higher product to water ration than I am accustomed to with creams.. I don't own a bore brush (yet) so the brushes in my den with the strongest backbone are the Shea Moisture (aka Target Special) and a Frank Shaving Finest Badger..

OK, here's the scoop from my end.

Cella will load well onto a stiff badger, but it needs to be fairly well squeezed out - as most everyone recommends. Then you add water as you go a-lathering in the bowl. Never tried face lathering with soap in a badger, and not quite sure how that would work. Others could tell you.

However, this stuff just loves a boar brush. Depending on which brush, I either let the thoroughly saturated bristles drain by gravity or give it one light shake. It takes only 15-20 seconds to completely load the boar. I hold the container at a 90 degree angle over the bowl, so anything that drips out (usually not much) falls in there. Then about a minute of building lather in the bowl. I never have to add any water at all. Nothing could be simpler or faster.

I've tried the business of removing a dollop of Valobra and putting that into a bowl, but finally discovered it likes being picked up by a brush much better. Getting all that dollop to mix is a pain, loading the brush is a cinch.

My 2 bits. Good luck!

OK, here's the scoop from my end.

Cella will load well onto a stiff badger, but it needs to be fairly well squeezed out - as most everyone recommends. Then you add water as you go a-lathering in the bowl. Never tried face lathering with soap in a badger, and not quite sure how that would work. Others could tell you.

However, this stuff just loves a boar brush. Depending on which brush, I either let the thoroughly saturated bristles drain by gravity or give it one light shake. It takes only 15-20 seconds to completely load the boar. I hold the container at a 90 degree angle over the bowl, so anything that drips out (usually not much) falls in there. Then about a minute of building lather in the bowl. I never have to add any water at all. Nothing could be simpler or faster.

I've tried the business of removing a dollop of Valobra and putting that into a bowl, but finally discovered it likes being picked up by a brush much better. Getting all that dollop to mix is a pain, loading the brush is a cinch.

My 2 bits. Good luck!
As everybody,love cella,but do not care for Valobra something my face does not like.Bought some dusy Kabinnette,still using up the last of the Klar Kabinett,smells similar if not the same

No, Cella refill pucks don't exist. Cella isn't really a soap "puck" to begin with. Think of it as dead center in between of being a hard soap and a shave cream. It's a very soft soap. You can buy a kilo of it for $45 which is extremely cheap for what you get. Other than that, I think that the $11 - $12 you pay for the red tub is a great deal. It's an excellent soap. My current favorite.

Great product! Many call Cella a ‘croap’ because it is really in the middle ground. :a29:

Got six tubs on order from Connaught, but if I knew better that’s it’s a cream according to the label. Would not ordered

Top Bottom