What's new

Cell phone questions

So my wife and I use Pageplus service provider ( http://www.pagepluscellular.com/ ) for a cell service. They use the verizon network and we pay 12 bucks a month for service but have no type of data plan for internet access with our phones. However, we can use the internet functions of our phones any place with wifi. This works well for us, especially since we were paying almost 200 bucks for verizon with a data plan.
Now wife is looking for a new phone. Her current phone is a HTC Incredible, but it seems to have a well known glitch that continuously has a full memory and she must keep deleting things to use the phone.
Based on the way we use our phones (described above) she was looking at a Verizon Nexus (apparently it is different from a sprint Nexus?), but was having difficulty because the phone must be flashed to use with a non verizon data plan. Now she is thinking of a HTC Thunderbolt, apparently it can be flashed easier or cheaper.
We are very happy with the Verizon cell network, and want to stay with a phone we can use with Pageplus, since it is cheap and have had no dropped calls or other issues in our areas of use.
Really would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on a replacement phone.

I had a post about deciding either a Motorola Droid Razr..or Galaxy Nexus..specs are identical..being on Verizon higher quality phones for sure..but if you are using pagecellular you would have to go with THEIR phones as they are flashed on THEIR network..Verizon's are also flashed to be used on their network..you COULD flash a Verizon phone to pagecellular...but..some features may not work..if you get an android smartphone get a free app called "Advanced Task Killer"..make sure it isnt checked when you install it..and it will kill apps running in the background..my wife also uses this and this helps alot to free up memory

I have an iPhone 3GS, and I cannot go back. It is so easy to use, has replaceable parts, does everything and works seamlessly. While they cost more, they last forever ( had mine four years already ) they are easily updated and upgraded. It's a computer in your pocket. It might not be for you, but if your going to invest in a smartphone, the iPhone is a great choice!

I had a post about deciding either a Motorola Droid Razr..or Galaxy Nexus..specs are identical..being on Verizon higher quality phones for sure..but if you are using pagecellular you would have to go with THEIR phones as they are flashed on THEIR network..Verizon's are also flashed to be used on their network..you COULD flash a Verizon phone to pagecellular...but..some features may not work..if you get an android smartphone get a free app called "Advanced Task Killer"..make sure it isnt checked when you install it..and it will kill apps running in the background..my wife also uses this and this helps alot to free up memory

I currently use a LG Vortex, and the wife is using her HTC Incredible with the Pagecellular service. I am not aware if the phones were flashed to the Pagecellular service provider, but the wife took care of the change from Verizon to them. They were originally purchased by us on our Verizon 2 year contract thru Verizon. I'll let her know about the task killer app-Thanks!

Last edited:
Right now my wife is using an Incredible (my old phone) and I am using an Incredible 2 on Page Plus. If you go over to Howard Forums somebody gives a very detailed description on how to get a Droid Razr activated on PP. I am temped to try this out but will probably wait until after I purchase my Nexus 7.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...manual-activation-talk-text-mms-3g-and-rooted

There are also several threads on flashing other phones in the technical section but I don't remember them being as detailed.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/518-Page-Plus-Handset-and-Technical-Forum

Good luck.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am using a factory unlocked and jailbroken by me 64Gb iPhone 4s and when I am in the US I use t-Mobile. I get unlimited data, text and voice for $50/mo and no contract. Only the first 100Mb is at 3G or whatever speed but I find the Edge network to be nearly as fast because it is never congested. Also the iPhone can't ust tmobiles 3G or 4g anyway because they use an oddball band that iPhone doesn't work on. All in all I feel it is a good deal. I don't use their international roaming. I just buy local sim cards wherever I am. Much cheaper especially for data services.

SimpleMobile has a similar deal but for only $45/mo.

An unlocked GSM phone will save you a lot of hassle when traveling or trying different carriers. Just stick a SIM card in it and you are ready to rock, usually, though you might have to change few settings to make MMS or SMS or data or tethering to work. Oh and t-mo doesn't care if you tether and they don't charge extra for it. You can use your phone as your wireless modem for your computer. They even gave me the apn settings to use. ATT really puts it to you for tethering. I don't know about simple mobile or the other small carriers.

Top Bottom