What's new

Carnitas

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Mole Sauce??? :thumbup1:
I like to see how you make the Mole sauce (process & ingredients).

If there's anything I make without any sort of recipe, it's mole. It's basically a case of toasting and reconstituting every dried pepper you have (you'll need at least a half dozen varieties), toasting and grinding three quarters of your spice rack, and dumping in half of your pantry. They'll be nuts, shredded tortillas, piloncillo, dark chocolate, roasted tomatoes, tomatillos, onions- you name it. Every one is different. Cook forever.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If there's anything I make without any sort of recipe, it's mole. It's basically a case of toasting and reconstituting every dried pepper you have (you'll need at least a half dozen varieties), toasting and grinding three quarters of your spice rack, and dumping in half of your pantry. They'll be nuts, shredded tortillas, piloncillo, dark chocolate, roasted tomatoes, tomatillos, onions- you name it. Every one is different. Cook forever.

In that case Mr. Mole needs his own thread.

Making these carnitas today. it was already smelling amazing by the time I left my house. I can't wait to eat this!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Holy mole. The wife wanted chicken enchiladas from Martha's Mexican Cocina in Keller, but they were closed for Palm Sunday. She decided she wanted them today, so I decided to forego my carnitas until tomorrow. I have never had mole before, and with the recent mole talk I decided to get chicken mole enchiladas. How have I missed this for the 23 years I have lived here? I will be eating them again, for sure.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Like I said someone needs to step up and start a new Thread titled "Holy Mole", or "My Little Mole", or "Are you Sure that's Not My Mole?" Go back and look at my enchiladas thread. It has a short version of mole. No chocolate or almonds but a start. Our chili sauce in the Texas Red thread is similar.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Like I said someone needs to step up and start a new Thread titled "Holy Mole", or "My Little Mole", or "Are you Sure that's Not My Mole?" Go back and look at my enchiladas thread. It has a short version of mole. No chocolate or almonds but a start. Our chili sauce in the Texas Red thread is similar.

I have been reading up on it a bit. Hopefully, someone starts a thread. If not, when I decide to try it for my first time I will start a thread to chronicle the success or failure :biggrin:

on edit: so let it be written, so let it be done.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/451308-Holy-Mole?p=7271866#post7271866

Last edited:
I can't wait either, I have nothing cooking in the house. So it's up to you.

....Pictures or it didn't happen

Not home yet, but just wanted to clarify. I didn't have any pork on hand so I am making chicken carnitas. Same recipe but with chicken. I will be sure to take pictures and report on how it turned out.

There are many carnitas recipes, some good, some better. When we visit my GF's brother in Modesto, his wife makes amazing carnitas. Then she stands over the comal and makes fresh tortillas as we eat. Add generous portions of Negra Modelo and I'm a happy man. Life is good:thumbup:

$20150402_172416.jpg$20150402_173003.jpg

Here is my chicken carnitas in all their glory!

When I got home my house smelled amazing! I didn't take a picture of the mix in the crock-pot because it was dry as a bone in there. Chicken is a very dry meat, so when I do this again I will have to add some other wet ingredients. I shredded the chicken, place the oil and chicken in the frying pan and browned one side. My Wife and I then sat down for dinner. all I can say is WOW. The taste was incredible, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. a little lime on top add the finishing touch to it all. My wife loved it also! We have found a new favorite! Thank you @DoctorShavegood for the recipe and everyone else's input on this thread!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Very nice Owen!!!

short story: we had a charity hunt at the ranch. Young lady and her family. She had terminal cancer. I bought cheapest roasts I could find. Boiled them in water with spices and covered. Once tender, I cut off excess fat and uncovered. As water evaporated, I shredded meat with a large fork and added onion, cilantro, tomato, and Serrano. I let it cool and took it with us. About 20 people and we also had shrimp kabobs and ribeyes. The beef I cooked in a disco with oil til a bit crispy and made tacos with handmade yellow corn tortillas. I made salsa in a sauce pan with onion, tomato, Serrano, and garlic salt. Cooked that down. Cheap meat gone! Shrimp and ribeyes leftover.
your tacos reminded me of that. What a wonderful weekend.
she shot a 12 pointer and a doe! Lots of crying that weekend but it was beautiful

I'm going to pick up some pork shoulder the next time I'm at the grocery store and try my hand at these carnitas. Showed the recipe to the LOML and she is all in.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm going to pick up some pork shoulder the next time I'm at the grocery store and try my hand at these carnitas. Showed the recipe to the LOML and she is all in.

Its so so easy to make. Just set and forget. One Orange is plenty. For me a few more cloves of garlic was needed. Don't add any liquid. Just let the meat, onion and orange provide that. Add some guacamole and a squeeze of lime for a simple, healthy dish.

Its so so easy to make. Just set and forget. One Orange is plenty. For me a few more cloves of garlic was needed. Don't add any liquid. Just let the meat, onion and orange provide that. Add some guacamole and a squeeze of lime for a simple, healthy dish.

Now I'm hungry again!

Top Bottom