What's new

Car/Truck Question

Its nice to own a car and no longer have to pay for it. I have a paid off 00' Intrepid. Its got about 120,000 miles on it, and still running strong. Either way, its nice not having to pay. Run it till it dies and get your moneys worth.

I have a 02 F-250 powerstroke and its been paid off for 2 years now. The only reason I'm thinking about trading it is because it only get 12mpg and diesel is outrageous. Where i screwed up is, when i bought the truck diesel was cheap and i put a 6in. lift kit on it with some 36in tires. lol. I like my truck but it takes a little over $100 to fill her up.

In my opinion, cutting the cost of driving is mostly about avoiding the payment treadmill. If you can't avoid it altogether, then at least minimize the burden.

My belief is that the optimal age to buy mostly depends on what your driving situation is.

Low mileage driver: Buying a 2-3 year old vehicle is a good bet. You might even find a certified preowned with a decent warranty. You'll get years of good service from it. Even if you finance it, you should be able to drive it well beyond when it is paid off.

Average driver: If you drive 10-15k miles per year, then the price and depreciation rate on the specific vehicle are important. On a model with low depreciation, buying new might cost a few thousand more, but you often get really cheap financing and can drive the car a few years longer. If you're looking at a higher depreciation model, then used is a better bargain.

High mileage driver: Cars get pretty cheap as they cross the 100k mile mark. With good maintenance, you can get another 100k out of some of them. Find a cheap car, pay cash, and drive it into the ground.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My 2003 Saturn Vue is so unsexy but it is paid for and very economical. I really lust for a Vintage Porsche 928 but thats probably NOT going to happen.

I have a 94 Volvo that is not much of a headturner, but drives great and has no payments.

The more $ I save by driving a car that is paid for = the more $ I can use to pay down debts.

I just went through this. See this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/323636-New-Truck-Need-a-Bedliner?p=4701507#post4701507 I used to trade every 2 years--had a buddy in the car business who "took care of me." When I got my Z4 10 years ago, I also owned a truck, so I was bent on keeping the Z4 forever, but the repairs just got out of control. I traded it on a new Chevy Silverado, and I'm as happy as a clam. As my thread says, I'm looking for a bedliner......any thoughts?

I usually buy an ex-lease vehicle and run it upto about 300,000 km. The highest I have had was a Camry that got traded at 362,000 km. Once you get past about 180,000 km the trade value is not going to drop any further; it is probably only a token amount whether you have 200,000 km or 300,000.

I like my truck but it takes a little over $100 to fill her up

You need to try living on this side of the pond.... I've got a Chrysler 300c touring (I believe you'd know it as a Dodge Magnum) - costs about £110 if I let the little red light go on. That's about $184 a tankfull.....

Top Bottom