What's new

Can't get a good shave on neck

Hi guys,

I've been doing DE shaving on and off for about 4 years but I still can't get rid of stubble on my neck. Even with two ATG passes on the neck there is still some stubble and irritation. Any advice?

Have you mapped your beard so that you know the grain direction for sure? Also, be sure to stretch the shaving area with your off hand to get a flat shaving plane.

Welcome aboard. Agree with the suggestion that you should map your beard, that may help with your problem.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Neck is a problem area for many. all of the above comments are very good
Sounds like a angle issue .

@Fakman87 Aside from what everyone has said about angle, I noticed that you said 2 ATG passes. I have learned that the neck area is prone to growing many different ways, so 2 passes can possibly equal like 30% of ATG. The area that you still feel stubble, I would re-lather and go over it in 6 different directions, in order to hit it every which way.

@Fakman87 Aside from what everyone has said about angle, I noticed that you said 2 ATG passes. I have learned that the neck area is prone to growing many different ways, so 2 passes can possibly equal like 30% of ATG. The area that you still feel stubble, I would re-lather and go over it in 6 different directions, in order to hit it every which way.
+1 on the 6.

I've got swirls in my beard that ATG won't get rid of. But while rinsing, I did a "hand-feel map" and decided to try a modified pattern (I may also have read about it in a B&B thread, and if someone posted this already just know that I'm very grateful, thanks).

Here's my new pattern that works very effectively on my neck (not a true 6-pass, kind of a 2-pass with an x-pattern touch up):
1. Use soap with good residual slick
2. N-S (or typical WTG), followed by quick X patterned strokes going in a downward diagonal motion over the stubborn neck areas
3. Re-lather
4. S-N (or typical ATG), followed by quick X patterned stroked going in an upward diagonal motion over the stubborn neck areas

I've only been wet shaving for a little over a year myself. My neck is very prone to weepers. Very tough whiskers and erratic hair pattern. I've been doing two passes and calling it good. Wish I could get a bbs shave on my neck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Getting your neck BBS can be difficult because sometimes the hair grows in all kinds of directions. I find that with my neck, the hair mostly grows up but on the left side of my neck, close to my jawline, the hair grows towards the right. So, on my cleanup pass, I have to shave to the left on that side of my neck, which can be difficult because Im right-handed. Im starting to get more comfortable with it though, it just takes a little practice.

Top Bottom