What's new

Canada vs MdC vs WSP Rustic

Those of you that have used Canada soap and one or both of the others, how would you rate Canada against the other two in terms of

Latherability
Lather quality (cushion and slickness)
Post shave
Longevity

I have used the latter two and I would like to know how Canada soap compares. I don't have dry skin and I don't live in the desert (east TN) so post shave, though nice, is not critical. MdC was very, very consistent for me and always gave good results.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm in the middle of a longevity test on Canada SS and my impression is that it's going to be very good in that department. For me it's a small step back from MdC in the latherability and lather quality - but really quite a small step. Less soap in the puck, so time will tell on the longevity.

I have not tried WSP. Not to hijack your thread, but how do you compare it to MdC?

I found MdC to be better than the WSP in latherability, lather quality, and longevity, but not post shave. That is not to say that WSP is not a good soap, I just got better results with MdC.

MdC edges out CSS for me.

Bowl lathering, MdC is my favorite. CSS has been better for face lathering. That's probably a me thing.

I prefer MdC's post-shave feel, and that lather is the mark I use to judge all others. CSS is pretty close though!

MdC edges out CSS for me.

Bowl lathering, MdC is my favorite. CSS has been better for face lathering. That's probably a me thing.

I prefer MdC's post-shave feel, and that lather is the mark I use to judge all others. CSS is pretty close though!
I know MDC very well, I'm European...I've never tried CSS
MDC has never been excellent in post-shaving but it is a soap that has had the same formula for many years
So you prefer MDC to CSS?

In my experience one of the best European vegetal soaps is SV

MdC vs. Canada: it's literally splitting hairs. I just bought a cream as a change of pace, to see if it comes close to breaking the MdCCss stranglehold.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I agree. I have a full tub of Canada soap and had a big sample of MdC and I found them very similar.

I am biased towards the Canada soap as it is less expensive and I am Canadian.
I agree they are very similar, and it's easy to imagine you get a better price being in Canada. I haven't finished the longevity test on the CSS, but for me the MdC is a little cheaper - albeit I always order two at a time and the tub holds more soap (200 vs 175). But the longevity on the CSS is very good and I expect to find the prices in actual use very close at the end of the test.

I keep seeing people claim MdC and CSS are almost identical, but that is not the case for the tub of each I have. It's a trip.

I'm not trying to be a unique individual or whatever, I just don't understand why mine are so different. Is everyone comparing CSS with unscented MdC, and the tub of Fougère that I'm comparing is actually different?

I don't enjoy face lathering with my MdC, I have trouble getting the water:soap ratio right or something. I have to go back to the puck for subsequent passes, or load up too much and have a mighty-thick lather for pass one. Put it in a bowl, and perfect lather explodes off of whatever brush I use with no effort. It rules!

CSS is the total opposite for me. Face lathers like a dream, but it's super annoying to get going in a bowl. I can't scoop out a small amount because it just crumbles. That still works to lather, but it's a total different consistency than the scoopable MdC. CSS takes a lot longer to get a lather going in a bowl, but said lather is eventually good enough.

But not MdC good.

My two soaps behave very differently, and I don't think fragrance is the only reason.

Top Bottom