What's new

Canada Shaving Soap review

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
This morning, I reached for my top tier Canada Soap to help overcome my feeling of being jilted by Mitchell’s Wool Fat.

Some say Canada Soap has no scent. I disagree. It has hints of freshly overturned soil, conjuring childhood memories of planting dogwoods on Mother’s Day. The lather was full, rich, and effortlessly built. The glide and cushion were heavenly. The face feel was soft and cool as the underside of the pillow.

Mitchell’s decision to drop tallow messed with my sense of tradition and integrity. It evoked the same feeling as my hometown NFL Rams leaving for the promise of California gold. Or when my employer cut longtime employees in favor of younger, cheap labor. Yet in such rejection lies opportunity. In my case, I discovered the MLS, and now the St. Louis City SC, which is far more interesting than the bygone Rams. Within 2 weeks, found a far more challenging and rewarding job.

In this case, Mitchell’s decision led me to elevate Canada Soap into its vacated spot in my daily rotation. And I’m better for it. Or, as Robert Frost would say:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

IMG_1119.jpeg

This is absolutely my top soap at the moment. Zero irritation with it and I’m finding a lot of soaps make me irritated and red. This one is top tier for me and honestly the only soap I’ll need.

I find most artisans have some sort of social media presence but this has none. A lot of artisans and other soaps, even the most comparable MdC are available at other vendors like Maggards and Pasteur. This one is only on their website and Amazon. With this being such a “niche hobby” is anyone concerned this soap could potentially not be available in the future? Like is this soap doing okay in sales, etc..?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This is absolutely my top soap at the moment. Zero irritation with it and I’m finding a lot of soaps make me irritated and red. This one is top tier for me and honestly the only soap I’ll need.

I find most artisans have some sort of social media presence but this has none. A lot of artisans and other soaps, even the most comparable MdC are available at other vendors like Maggards and Pasteur. This one is only on their website and Amazon. With this being such a “niche hobby” is anyone concerned this soap could potentially not be available in the future? Like is this soap doing okay in sales, etc..?
Amazon sells out quite often, so sales have be consistent, I would guess. I have two extra tubs and I'll add another one along the way, I'm sure. I've been using my first one for most of my shaves this past year and a half and it's about 1/3 gone. I don't shave every day, so you'd have to factor that in for yearly usage.

Amazon sells out quite often, so sales have be consistent, I would guess. I have two extra tubs and I'll add another one along the way, I'm sure. I've been using my first one for most of my shaves this past year and a half and it's about 1/3 gone. I don't shave every day, so you'd have to factor that in for yearly usage.
Yeah, I might just get extra tubs in the future just in case. I just find the lack of social media presence which other companies have is a little concerning is all. And worst case, I can always just get tubs of MdC in the future.

Super tempted to buy, but the similarities with MdC stops me.
Don’t get me wrong, I think MdC is great, but a bit drying for me and I preferred MWF, and SV
Haha I’m the opposite. Canada gives me such a great shave and post shave feel I want to try MdC because of it. I actually just ordered a tub of it 😬

Unfortunately MWF didn’t work for my skin due to a lanolin sensitivity and my first shave with SV today wasn’t too promising. My experience with SV could have been due to other factors so I’m not completely down on it. I’ll give it another try for sure.

ordered some today been wanting to try it and I am going to start comparing all my soaps to narrow down to 1 or 2 and this has been on my must try list :)
and my wife is Canadian :)

CC Cream is my fav current and SV is also my top currently

do have a sample of MdC to also compare since this seems to be the common comparison

...With this being such a “niche hobby” is anyone concerned this soap could potentially not be available in the future? Like is this soap doing okay in sales, etc..?

This soap is for a small niche within a niche. It seems most shavers attach a lot of importance to scents. It's a small operation so there's limited distribution of the soap.

The first alternative that comes to mind would be MdC Nature.

Maybe this sounds blasphemous, but it's occurred to me if you were to take Cella Extra Extra Bio out of the jar and put it on a drying rack to cure for eight months, you would have a very similar soap to Canada, though with a faint fragrance. The formula is very similar, just more water content with a few extra organic ingredients in tiny amounts, like aloe vera extract and olive fruit oil.

I'm expecting a lightning bolt to strike me soon. :laugh:

Yeah this is a issue in the back of my mind when I find something I love
my goal is just one favorite item but will keep a top 3 list in case it changes and maybe try a few new ones once in a while for fun to keep the toes in the water

but also if it works the best I will use it while I can and try to promote it so it stays as long as it can

this is also why I love some of the mainstay large companies with history but look at MWF as even that does not matter

this is also why I love some of the mainstay large companies with history but look at MWF as even that does not matter
Maybe this is where MdC Nature would come into play. MdC seems like they’re not going anywhere.

I ordered a tub of Nature for that very reason honestly. In the chance Canada does cease operations, I at least have MdC. I’d much rather try it now than later. Who knows, maybe I’ll like it even better.

Last edited:
Maybe this is where MdC Nature would come into play. MdC seems like they’re not going anywhere.

I ordered a tub of Nature for that very reason honestly. In the chance Canada does cease operations, I at least have MdC. I’d much rather try it now than later. Who knows, maybe I’ll like it even better.
YUP ;)
or the SV that I love but looking forward to trying my MdC sample here soon and the Canada I have coming in

I have a bunch of soaps I have been using but want to dial in my true favorite :)
kinda a minimalist personality and tend to only want to use my favorites anyway and if I do not LOVE something I just wont use it :)
but at the same time it does take say a week of use to know does this dry out my face if i use it daily ?
And it might take a week to really dial in the way it lathers the best
but without truly trying all these soaps over and over I have found for me at least that some just do not perform well and many are more alike than different and a few really stand out well above the others like my CC Cream or the SV have stood out but in a different way where SV is slicker but the post is not quite as nice where the CC Cream the post is insane but its not quite as slick :)

for me having a couple in the wings so if something changes with my favorite I know I can just grab the next one I had chosen for sure

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've never seen Canada Shaving cream.. I wonder why I missed that one.

Hmmmmm. I don't see it on their website.

I've never seen Canada Shaving cream.. I wonder why I missed that one.

Hmmmmm. I don't see it on their website.
If that was from me saying CC Cream that is the Captains Choice abbreviation I use :) but if was that could see how its confusing if so sorry :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sorry for the misunderstanding.. Scott found some of his unscented soap/cream a while back. It's lovely stuff but unscented doesn't sell for him. I bought two tubs.

I
Edit: I have my 4th copper bowl on the way from him... along with one of his half priced soap lockers. I might use this one to make shaving lather but somehow, I think it will end up as an accent piece around the house like the other three. This Obsidian bowl is so beautiful in its own right.

Top Bottom