What's new

Can you help me rank these blades?

Hi. I got a four type sampler pack, and I'm trying to understand how the blades relate to each other quality-wise. I realize YMMV, but still, which would you consider best, sharpest and smoothest? They are:

1. Gillette Platinum
2. Derby Extra
3. Gillette Silver Blue
4. Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (green box)

I was actually asking this because I was curious about whether my newbie perceptions of these blades were a result of bad technique or if I was really getting a correct overall impression of the blade. I had actually used all four of them prior to asking this question, and the results had surprised me a little which is why I posted this.

I had bought a three type Gillette sample pack, and I got the pack of Derby's with my new Edwin Jagger. They all arrived on the same day, and I actually decided to try a Gillette blade as my first. Knowing nothing about blades, I went with what I assumed would be the middle of the road blade: the GSBs. After all, silver is a less precious metal than platinum, so the platinums would be the best I assumed. And 7'oclock just sounded like a lower end deal, like 7 AM or something that you find in a dollar store. So I figured GSBs would be in the middle, and Derby's also in the middle since I figured a mid-cost razor like an EJ would include a middle of the road blade. After ranking them this way in my mind, I started with the "mid-road" GSBs figuring I could then go more aggressive or less aggressive based on how things felt.

The GSBs gave me irritation but did seem to cut fairly smoothly without a lot of tugging or pulling. Imagine my surprise, then, when I put in a Platinum and found it felt quite a bit worse! I've actually used multiple of each blade multiple times, and this was my order:

1. GSB
2: 7 oclock
3. Platinum - slightly worse than 7 o'clock but not hugely... might not distinguish if blindfolded
4. Derby much worse

So interesting to see that my experience does seem to agree with yours. I don't think my experience is due to built in biases either, since I went in assuming platinums would be the best and 7 o'clocks the worst, and found the opposite. But I agree, YMMV... I'm sure others prefer other blades.

i just tried derby again, and with the change in my technique over the year of listening to you guys here at B&B, i've found they work better than they used to. the moral of the story is, pay attention to the good people at B&B and get better at shaving and the blades will get better too!

i just tried derby again, and with the change in my technique over the year of listening to you guys here at B&B, i've found they work better than they used to. the moral of the story is, pay attention to the good people at B&B and get better at shaving and the blades will get better too!

Agree, good lather, shave prep and technique makes a difference, as well as the razor you use. Heck even switching aftershaves when all other things stay the same could give you a different impression of how your shave turned out.

But it could be that Derby's vary in quality from blade to blade and batch to batch, which may explain things. I get that impression about Shark blades as well. Maybe different steel is used, or inconsistent manufacturing process? With the high quality blades that almost always have positive reviews, maybe the manufacturing and quality control is more precise and consistent? Seems rare (if ever) that there's a negative comment about the quality of GSB blades.

Last edited:
Apparently others agree on the GSBs. They are chasing the feathers for the number on spot in the great blade vote thread I just saw.

For me it would be:

1. Gillette Silver Blue
2. Derby Extra
3. Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (green box)
4. Gillette Platinum

You really have to try them for your self.

For me.

Sharpness
Gillette Silver Blue 9.5
Gillette Super Platinum 8.5
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green 7
Derby 5

Smoothness
Gillette Super Platinum 9
Gillette Silver Blue 8
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green 7
Derby 4

Top Bottom