What's new

Campechana Shrimp Cocktail

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My wife and I take a vacation almost every year to Port Aransas, Texas. Known for its beaches, deep water port, deep sea fishing and the world famous gulf shrimp. One year at Port A we ate at a restaurant called Virginia’s on the Bay and noticed a very delightful appetizer on the menu. It was Campechana Shrimp Cocktail. It was so good and refreshing that now it is a meal that we often make at home. It is so easy to make and is a great change-up to fried. I hope you will enjoy.

$Campechana Shrimp cocktail.jpg$Campechana Shrimp Cocktail2.jpg

Campechana Shrimp Cocktail

2 servings
1 lb of gulf shrimp. Try and not use the farmed raised
1/2 diced white or red onion
1 jalapeno diced and seeds removed
1/2 cup of diced tomatoes. We just dice cherry tomatoes.
1 avocado cut into small 1/2 squares
juice of 1 lime
diced handful of cilantro
2 tablespoons of cocktail sauce. We like anything made in Louisiana
1/4 cup tomato juice
S&P to taste
pinch of garlic powder
Your favorite hot sauce. I have a collection and use them all.
Corn chips. I like the unsalted ones.

Preparation:
Cook the shrimp how you like them but not fried. Sometimes we will boil them in a pot with Zadaranes crab/shrimp boil mix or broil them in the oven. Don’t overcook. Peel the shrimp. Once the shrimp have cooled just chop in to large mouthful size pieces and place in the frig. too cool. Next just make a pico de gayo with the onion, pepper, cilantro, lime juice and tomatoes. Mix in the cocktail sauce, adjust amount as needed . If you like it thinner then add some tomato juice. Add Salt & Pepper to taste with a pinch of garlic powder. Add the hot sauce now or for each bite. Mix with shrimp and place back in the frig to cool. Once cooled mix in the avocado. Put into a cocktail glass and serve with corn chips. Sometimes a splash of tequila over the dish while it’s in the cocktail dish is good.

The grocery store in Mexico near the condo we rent has something very similar in the deli, but theirs includes chunks of pulpo (octopus). One of my favorites, it's either this or ceviche with chips for lunch every day for the week of vacation. Thanks for the recipe, I've never thought to make it at home, but I will be this weekend.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Since it is "upstream" of the BP debacle, I would eat gulf shrimp from there. I like my shrimp untainted by Correxit.

Top Bottom