What's new

Camera Batteries

Hi. Have any of you ever ordered from http://www.bestbatt.com/ ? I was considering a backup battery for my Canon SD400, but it seems that they're priced in the stratosphere at about $60! Then, I found bestbatt where a Canon-compatible is priced at $6.99!! Not Canon-branded, but apparently of Japanese manufacture.

Not sure how wrong I could go for the price, but just thought I'd see if anyone had an opinion - on either bestbatt or brand-x batteries in general. Do Lithium-Ion batteries leak? Wouldn't that be something?! Save $50+ on a battery and then have to spend a few hundred on a new camera!!!

Thanks!!

Are you comparing batteries of the same type and capacity?

Specs quoted on the web site are identical to those printed on my Canon...
* Chemistry: Lithium-Ion
* Output Volts: 3.7v
* AmpHours: 760 mAh
* Type: Generic
* Color: Beige or Grey
* Dimensions: 1.6 X 1.4 X 0.24
Well, except for the "Generic" thing.

I'm curious what the consensus is. I'm from the buy it right - buy it once school.

-Scott

Normally, so am I, Scott - but for $7 vs $60, unless I discover this thing could damage my camera, it sure is tempting.

I'm curious what the consensus is. I'm from the buy it right - buy it once school.

-Scott

I attend the same school. There's no doubt you'll pay quite a premium for the Canon batteries and I find it painful every time I do it, and I own quite a few. If you do have a problem and Canon can determine it was the result of a non-Canon battery, it will void your warranty. The only time I strayed and purchased a generic battery, it was so tight the first time I used it, I had to pry it from my camera (was on a Pentax point and shoot). Back to paying $60.00 for me.......

I attend the cheaper is better unless awful school. :)

I use clone batteries and they work fine, no problems, but the capacity is a little lower. But they are so cheap that I'd rather buy 4 clones and charge em all, and use em, rather than one SD-400 battery. I bought em on ebay I believe.

There is no battery on earth for a small device that should cost 60.00,
its a situation of being held hostage by the manufacturer. I have used professional for equipment and for my cameras both OEM and aftermarket batteries with mixed results for both.

The actual cells I believe are pretty much the same- its the cases that they are assembled in that can cause problems. That what I believe Jerry was referring to.

The "mAh" can be greater but should not be less then specified by your device.

Use a reputable vendor and get a guarantee of fit.
happy snapping.

There is no battery on earth for a small device that should cost 60.00,
its a situation of being held hostage by the manufacturer.

Use a reputable vendor and get a guarantee of fit.
happy snapping.

Thanks, Jim - et al. I couldn't agree more with your first observation! Now if anyone could name a "reputable vendor", I'd appreciate it. I did find a Canon-branded battery for about $40 at Adorama and a brand-x for $20. At least they've been around for a while.

Top Bottom