What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

$20140128_210523.jpg

I bought myself a pretty little tea cup

Cause I like it

Bialetti showed up today. Ran a couple of test pots through it and then ground up some Starbucks. Very tasty and strong. Probably save it for the weekend. I can't see getting up 15 minutes earlier for work to get my coffee together.

Bialetti showed up today. Ran a couple of test pots through it and then ground up some Starbucks. Very tasty and strong. Probably save it for the weekend. I can't see getting up 15 minutes earlier for work to get my coffee together.

Here is a hint for you. Start with boiling water in the bottom (or at least very hot water). This will cut down on the time it takes the assembled unit to start brewing.

I am sure you already know but anyway.... Fill the water vessel to the bottom of the brass relief valve on the side of the bottom pot. Fill the insert with medium grind coffee but do not pack it, just level it off (or leave a slight "dome").

The moka pots work at their best when they are run at full capacity (water and coffee) thus the reason for the various sizes of them.

proxy.php

I ran out of tea... like right out 3 days ago, so you better bet I was happy to see this box from JasEtea on my front steps, so very happy

Plus I got a new gaiwan set and finally, since I cant not spill, a spilly bamboo table

$20140129_203344.jpg

I got that from JasE as well, though you can easily find them on the bay too. Steves price on the bamboo table was better then any I seen on ebay, the gaiwan set was priced about the same there, so if you going for tea anyway its an easy add on. now that I have a few Gaiwans i only need two more lol, a bigger one and a smaller one. I know exactly what I want and im on a hunt for my perfect gaiwan in both sizes, I think I found the bigger one, but the smaller 50-60ml is proving tough, I may have to settle on that one. but then that all might change with one or two more Yixing pots, on of which is already on its way

Snagged a refurbed Baratza Vario when they came up on the Baratza site today. I imagine it will be here next week.

I was leaning towards a Rancilio Rocky but it wouldn't pass muster looks wise with SWMBO.

Vario is a much more versatile grinder compared to the rocky. From what I understand you have much smaller steps in grind adjustment.

Here it is compared to a Tiamo 101 in plastic. The Tiamo is just a hair shorter and works well, but I wanted a small ceramic brewer. The pre-stained color was another bonus.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Good question. This is the small size dripper so I believe the proper size is a #1 cone filter (not to be confused with the Hario V shaped cone filters). But I am using #2 size cone filter, since that is what is readily available at local stores. I thought it may be interesting to take a couple of photos with the different sizes inserted. They would sit down a little bit lower if wet, but this should show relative sizes:

No. 2 Cone Filter:
proxy.php

No. 4 Cone Filter:
proxy.php

I may pick up some #1 filters in the future, but for now the #2 will suffice.

If you are interested I have a ceramic cilio that takes no. 4 filters. I am also due to PIF something, just saying. It's basically brand new, think I maybe used it 5-10 times before switching to a size 2.

Top Bottom