What's new

Brush Suggestions Under $25

@SwamperWI

That's my favorite handle. I have a 24 Maggard Synthetic (brown, mock horse knot). I deep set it for some extra back bone for a face lathering travel brush. Those handles had a deep swallow, so you can get it as stiff as you like. I am probably going to build another, because when I am home I often rob it out my travel dop kit.

Yes, I really like that handle. This is one I picked up from AP already assembled. It is my travel brush as well. I bought one of Andrew’s factory second handles recently. That too had plenty of depth to get the loft the way I wanted it.

If you don't want to rub plastics on your face and don't want synths, I'd say try a horse. They're very soft and unique feeling. My dream is to have a Zenith horse but they're 50 bucks and my wife would kill me hah.

Cremo makes a good horse hair brush. You might want to check them out..

If you like boar brushes, maybe try an Omega knot in a smaller size. They have several brushes with 24mm knots and around 55mm loft. I'd recommend the ash wood handle 11137 as a great all-rounder. Under $15.

Another excellent smaller Omega brush is the beehive boar 10081. Under $10.

View attachment 1704296 View attachment 1704298

For synthetics, the SynBad knot in the 24mm size is a good suggestion. Yaqi has a similar knot that they call Mew Brown. An oldie-but-goodie recommendation is the Razorock Bruce 24mm Plissoft brush. Very comfortable.
These two. 11137 or 10081.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I second these motions. I would get a cheap Zenith or Omega in the 55-57mm loft range AND a Yaqi 24mm Plissoft. Shipping from two places may take you a wee bit over $25 but you know what...

View attachment 1704310

You will be glad you did! :biggrin1:

P.S. For a limited time only, I am offering membership in "Enablers R' Us" at a special, discounted rate. PM for details.

I almost wet my pants! 🤣

Semogue 830 seems like a very good option. I’m surprised Simpson wasn’t suggested. I always thought it was supposed to be iconic and very good. Does any one know of any brushes made in USA?

Bottom line is in my world is my three brushes couple of Omega’s, and Yaqi all under $22.00 each.

They all work well for me, don’t know what a big bucks brush would do for me better.

But people do spend big bucks for some brushes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
MightyMidget.Omege.40033.3-20.JPG

The very small looking but not so small performing Omega Mighty Midget is usually under $10. As pictured it was three #13 O-rings added which improves the already plenty good grip. The knot is very stiff initially. It benefits from a good bit of breaking in. Still, it is a good knot from the get-go.

I'd say it's the best under $10 brush made. I believe mine was $7 at Connaught but mine's several years old now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1704773

The very small looking but not so small performing Omega Mighty Midget is usually under $10. As pictured it was three #13 O-rings added which improves the already plenty good grip. The knot is very stiff initially. It benefits from a good bit of breaking in. Still, it is a good knot from the get-go.

I'd say it's the best under $10 brush made. I believe mine was $7 at Connaught but mine's several years old now.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I will second this Omega 40033, excellent smaller brush! Good right out of the box. I used mine 100 times in a row and I have many great brushes to choose from lol.

Here I send my fav. 3 brushes under $25:
RR N400
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Omega Mighty Midget Mistura

Attachments

• PXL_20230913_202936121.jpg
    PXL_20230913_202936121.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I have found the Wilkinson Sword Synthetic and the Wilkinson Sword Classic (boar) work fine for me. They are well below $25 and where I live one or the other type can be found in the shaving products section of some supermarkets and drug stores. The Classic does require some breaking in.
If a certain local $%# black bear knocks my fence down again I may want to try making "bear" brushes...

My Semogue 1470 has been my only brush for a couple years now. It's inexpensive and does a good job, and I can't imagine wanting anything bigger, especially if you face lather. People here must have some huge faces!

Among Boars - I'll jump on the Semogue 830 bandwagon @$24.00.
Among Badgers - Maggard 22mm 2-band @$24.95.
Among Synthetics - Simpson Trafalgar T1 @26.00. It's only a dollar over your budget.

From personal experience, I can vouch for all three.
OK, on the Simpson I have the T2, not the T1, but they're close.

My favorite "cheap" brushes:

- Any $10-20 Omega boar
- Yaqi Mojito synthetic, under $20
- Any Razorock Plissoft, often on sale for 10 bucks

KIKC synthetic hair black handle - Amazon $7.29

Viking Revolution barber hair - Amazon $9.88

Bought these brushes last September 2022. I shave daily and use the KIKC more but both are good brushes and so far have held up well in fact they still look and work as new.

Top Bottom