What's new

Brush Suggestions Under $25

Hi there,

I'm seeking some shaving brush suggestions under $25. I am currently using an Omega Pro 48. Which I like how it lathers and feels on the skin. However, the larger brush can make it difficult to lather the face at time, especially below the nose. Secondly, I feel like because the brush is so large that I am wasting a lot of lather. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

I don't have a broad range to compare against, but I'm loving my AP Shave Co Synbad knot.

It comes in 22 &24mm and has a very similar feel and splay to my 25mm Mühle STF.

The 22 has a touch more backbone and splay resistance than the 24, which in turn is a tiny bit stiffer than the Mühle. This knot size characteristic is apparently like that of the STF (bigger knot = easier splay), which is why I originally opted for the 25mm STF.

I (for example) control how close the brush is to my nose by lowering it, so the center point of my 25 is around my chin, with the remainder hanging in space.

Their Cashmere knot is apparently Plisoft-like.

Let the floodgates of suggestions begin ;-)

... Thom

Last edited:
IMG_2451.jpeg

I used a 24mm AP Shave Co SynBad yesterday. I bowl loaded and face lathered a sample of Ethos Fresco a very generous B&B member sent me to try. It was a wonderful lather and shave.

If you like boar brushes, maybe try an Omega knot in a smaller size. They have several brushes with 24mm knots and around 55mm loft. I'd recommend the ash wood handle 11137 as a great all-rounder. Under $15.

Another excellent smaller Omega brush is the beehive boar 10081. Under $10.

1692378805870.png
1692378948182.png

For synthetics, the SynBad knot in the 24mm size is a good suggestion. Yaqi has a similar knot that they call Mew Brown. An oldie-but-goodie recommendation is the Razorock Bruce 24mm Plissoft brush. Very comfortable.

Several smallish (not really small) Zeniths come to mind here.

I'd recommend the ash wood handle 11137 as a great all-rounder. Under $15. Another excellent smaller Omega brush is the beehive boar 10081. Under $10.

I second these motions. I would get a cheap Zenith or Omega in the 55-57mm loft range AND a Yaqi 24mm Plissoft. Shipping from two places may take you a wee bit over $25 but you know what...

treat-yo-self.jpg

You will be glad you did! :biggrin1:

P.S. For a limited time only, I am offering membership in "Enablers R' Us" at a special, discounted rate. PM for details.

Last edited:
@SwamperWI

That's my favorite handle. I have a 24 Maggard Synthetic (brown, mock horse knot). I deep set it for some extra back bone for a face lathering travel brush. Those handles had a deep swallow, so you can get it as stiff as you like. I am probably going to build another, because when I am home I often rob it out my travel dop kit.

Honestly imo, a boar is a boar in that price range, the difference in price is almost only because of handles. I'm not a huge believer in "premium" boar, it's all the same I think.

The danger of smaller loft and knot sizes is that the brush loses stiffness and becomes too floppy.

If you don't want to rub plastics on your face and don't want synths, I'd say try a horse. They're very soft and unique feeling. My dream is to have a Zenith horse but they're 50 bucks and my wife would kill me hah.

Hi there,

I'm seeking some shaving brush suggestions under $25. I am currently using an Omega Pro 48. Which I like how it lathers and feels on the skin. However, the larger brush can make it difficult to lather the face at time, especially below the nose. Secondly, I feel like because the brush is so large that I am wasting a lot of lather. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Since you prefer boar, try the Semogue 830 which is a premium grade boar.
I would also recommend the handpainted 1305, same premium grade as well.

Omega Pro 48 is a 28mm knot @ 129mm tall

22mm Knot @ 99mm height
proxy.php

21mm Knot @108mm height
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom