What's new

Brush rinsing

After posting a thread about soaking badger brushes earlier in the week and getting some feedback that soaking a brush below the knot (the handle) may damage the brush, it got me thinking about how I currently rinse my brush.

Usually I turn the brush from side to side under warm running water, then I turn the brush knot side up so the water runs into the knot, towards the handle to make sure I have removed all the soap. Is this potentially damaging? I find it difficult to remove all the soap unless I complete this last step. Am I damaging my brush? Thank you for your feedback. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The concern is around prolonged immersion in water on a repeated basis, not at all about getting the handle wet.
i.e. Soaking your brush (knot and handle) in water daily while you shower is not a good thing for the handle. Most of us have our brush/knot soaking in a mug while we shower. Don't be concerned about rinsing the whole brush. (Hopefully) We all take showers and baths and do so without damage, but imagine being in water for 2 hours a day? Talk about prune-fingers!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks viper. I recently purchased a Simpson Duke 3 in best. It's a great brush. The last thing I want to do is damage it.

I've been told recently that a quality badger brush will absorb all the warm/hot water it will hold in 10-15 seconds. I've found this to be quite accurate. So now I just swirl my brush in warm/hot water and as soon as it swells which I also have found happens in the first 10-15 seconds I take it out of the water. I rinse but swirling the brush in warm/hot water several times and stop when I take my thumb and index finger and clamp it around the knot then I slightly squeeze and release, working my way up the knot. When I get no soap or cream coming out of the top, I stop and put it in the drawer. I usually have to rinse about 3 times to get the soap/cream out. As anyone will tell you, what I am doing might be completely wrong, but it seems to make the most sense without damaging the bristles.

Soak my boars while I shower, but only the tips. Rinse with the knot up to get soap out and then hang upside down to dry

I dip my brush in water for a few seconds but never soak it overtime and when I rinse it, I usually get the handle wet as well.

Al raz.

I rinse my brushes out under running tap water and then shake them dry and put them away. I have a 10+ year old Surrey banded boar which I have treated this way every day since I bought it, until I received my Omega 10049, and it is fine.

My two daily user brushes are wooden handled and I've used them since I started shaving in 1981. They get wet and dried daily and their still going strong. Just don't submerge the handle and you'll be ok. By the way I just recieved a wooden handled Semogue 1520 from Chris at Traditional Shaving and I gotta tell ya it's a beauty, thank you Chris.

Clayton

Mine get about the same treatment as described above seeing I rotate my brushes by the time I use then
M again they are nice and dry !
Enjoy Your Shave!

Chevyguy-

I read on another thread where you recently helped a newbie (like myself) with his first kit so he could get started. Just wanted to tell you I think that was awesome! I've had some other DE veterans, namely Greyfox (Dave) and HoosierTrooper (Tom) help me out already. It's generosity and kindness like that that makes B&B a special place. Just wanted to pass that along.

Chevyguy-

I read on another thread where you recently helped a newbie (like myself) with his first kit so he could get started. Just wanted to tell you I think that was awesome! I've had some other DE veterans, namely Greyfox (Dave) and HoosierTrooper (Tom) help me out already. It's generosity and kindness like that that makes B&B a special place. Just wanted to pass that along.

Thanks Joe, and I totally agree with what you just said.

Clayton

I rinse my brushes by holding them knot-down under running water, turning it to get all the outside soap off.
Then, I give it a gentle squeeze to get out as much lather as I can without straining the knot. Quick rinse under the tap again.
Next, I put it in a glass tumbler filled with tap water, swish it around, pump it up and down, until most of the remaining lather is out.
Change the water, repeat the step above.
Hold it over the sink until it stops dripping.
Shake it out vigorously.
Wipe and rub the knot on a clean terry-cloth bathtowel.
Fluff it up a bit with my fingertips.
Set it on the shelf, knot-up, to dry.

I use this same method for all brushes, Badger, Boar, and even Synthetic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom