What's new

Brush project.

Thanks for all of the input you are giving me on this, GolFishHunt. I noticed that yesterday when I was drilling my test holes...I thought I had it just right and then I tried another hole that was about a sixteenth of an inch deeper and it looked really nice. I read that post on using silicone to temporarily fasten the knot in..I can't remember the member's name but I did read it. I think it is a very ingenious way to give the brush a test-drive. I think I'll just use clear RTV...thoughts? after I test the depth/loft, I'll pull the knot back out, clean all of the RTV off and reset the knot with my two part epoxy. Thanks again for all of your help.

-CAP

Yep. The clear RTV is the way to go and it doesn't take much.
BTW, people call me Dave. They call me other things as well (like pedantic), but that's another story.

Aye, Dave it is. I cut my handle off the blank and I am at that point where I am ready to center, and drill the hole. here's what the brush will look like:
$uploadfromtaptalk1397090611982.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1397090668732.jpg

I set mine so 52mm of the knot was exposed. I wanted a brush that could both bowl and face lather. It's not at all floppy at this height. If you will only use it to bowl lather, I would start a bit higher. But YMMV of course.
Did you gather the wood yourself?
And... Wow!

I set mine so 52mm of the knot was exposed. I wanted a brush that could both bowl and face lather. It's not at all floppy at this height. If you will only use it to bowl lather, I would start a bit higher. But YMMV of course.
Did you gather the wood yourself?
And... Wow!

Thanks again for the advice, Dave. I think I'll start shallow and do some test leathers once I get it set. Yes, I gathered this wood about a year and a half ago and sealed the ends to prevent splitting during the air drying phase. I have quite a bit left. I made some custom handles for my sink today ...took me about an hour.

A razor handle and razor brush stand will make the full set. Might as well turn a lathering bowl as well.
Wood gathered is much better than wood purchased.

I agree, Dave. There's just something about gathering nature's raw material and transforming it into beautiful pieces of work. Plus, I like to showcase my craftsmanship to others and learn.

Funny you mention a stand, I have built two so far, one of them has the same wood I used to make this brush handle, I attached it to this reply. The other is made entirely of black walnut, a favorite hardwood of mine. It is under my images, check it out. I haven't thought about a razor handle...that would be a gorgeous addition to my setup. I don't have the slightest clue about how to go about that..is there a razor kit? Thanks again.

-CAP
$uploadfromtaptalk1397103421788.jpg

Thank you gents. Believe it or not, I actually use this when I travel. Not flying but when I have to drive to distant places, I love it.

Dave, I'll have to check it out. I would love to make a complete set. Thank you.

Here's a little update on the brush:

I was reluctant to drill the hole because I wasn't sure how precise my center mark was but I quadruple checked my measurements and nailed it. After the hole is the right size for the knot, I will move on to my final finish on the brush handle.

**edit** that blue stuff on the base of the handle is just tape.

$uploadfromtaptalk1397168477622.jpg

I fitted the knot into the handle, I think this is going to be a big bloom. I am very pleased with the results so far. Tonight I'm going to begin the final finish. Enjoy, gents.

$uploadfromtaptalk1397173697528.jpg

Top Bottom