What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Couldn’t wait for my configurator brushes to be delivered, so grabbed a couple from Maggard…. L: D01-2Band 22mm, R: Silvertip-2Band 26mm

IMG_0462.jpeg

My first Simpson badger brush.

When I got into this hobby, I didn’t really find the Simpson brushes too appealing. I get the heritage of the brand and why people like them, but they didn’t really speak to me.
I ordered a T2 sovereign and while it’s great at making lather, I didn’t really connect with it- the handle nor the synthetic fibers.
But over time, Simpsons started growing on me. I found myself starting to appreciate the look and finding them quite elegant.
I’ve learned that I like longer thinner brush handles (or handles with a thin “waist”) and that they excel at bowl lathering, which is what I prefer.

So I studied the different handle shapes, sizes and knot info, read a ton of Simpson threads and decided my first Simpson badger would be a Colonel X2L in best. Placed my order at Maggards and less than a week later it arrived.
Love at first sight.
I love the handle, the size, the knot, I love everything about it.
And I get it now. I get the Simpson appeal.
The only real problem I see with this brush is that now I want more Simpsons 😄

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

And here’s a shot of it next to my larger 27mm Zenith 507 Manchurian badger brush:
IMG_4364.jpeg

This time, record fast delivery, just 9 days!

Of all the items I received, I was most impressed by the FS (Frank Shaving) Brush and specifically the knot. It is of a completely new generation, German-made G9 fiber model. Comparing it to my other synthetics, it looks and feels the most like the Omega Evo V2 and the Muhle STF. Rather, I would define it as a hybrid between the two nodes. They didn't skimp on material, the knot has a solid density. Strong spine with very soft tips.

This time, record fast delivery, just 9 days!

Of all the items I received, I was most impressed by the FS (Frank Shaving) Brush and specifically the knot. It is of a completely new generation, German-made G9 fiber model. Comparing it to my other synthetics, it looks and feels the most like the Omega Evo V2 and the Muhle STF. Rather, I would define it as a hybrid between the two nodes. They didn't skimp on material, the knot has a solid density. Strong spine with very soft tips.

Looks very much like the APShaveCo G5A knot...

When I got into this hobby, I didn’t really find the Simpson brushes too appealing. I get the heritage of the brand and why people like them, but they didn’t really speak to me.
I ordered a T2 sovereign and while it’s great at making lather, I didn’t really connect with it- the handle nor the synthetic fibers.
But over time, Simpsons started growing on me. I found myself starting to appreciate the look and finding them quite elegant.
I’ve learned that I like longer thinner brush handles (or handles with a thin “waist”) and that they excel at bowl lathering, which is what I prefer.

So I studied the different handle shapes, sizes and knot info, read a ton of Simpson threads and decided my first Simpson badger would be a Colonel X2L in best. Placed my order at Maggards and less than a week later it arrived.
Love at first sight.

View attachment 1818753

View attachment 1818756

And here’s a shot of it next to my larger 27mm Zenith 507 Manchurian badger brush:
View attachment 1818759

Love at first sight.

View attachment 1818753

View attachment 1818756

View attachment 1818759
The Colonel was my first Simpson badger brush. I think I have 15 Simpsons now and 12 have best hair. I’ve heard people say that Simpson’s best hair can be inconsistent, but mine have been consistently wonderful brushes. And I would add none have been shedders.

I finally took the plunge and bought a Semogue Torga C5 Silvertip to go with my Torga C5 Premium Boar, Mistura and 2-Band Finest. And very happy that I did.

The tips on the Silvertip are definitely softer than the 2-Band Finest. I would describe the Silvertip as firm with a little less backbone than the 2-Band Finest. To put "firm" in perspective, the Silvertip has more backbone than a Simpson KH4 Best Badger.

1711830574366.png

2-Band Finest on left. Silvertip on right.

1711830597684.png

The Colonel was my first Simpson badger brush. I think I have 15 Simpsons now and 12 have best hair. I’ve heard people say that Simpson’s best hair can be inconsistent, but mine have been consistently wonderful brushes. And I would add none have been shedders.
Mine shed at least 10 on the first use, so many that I quit counting, but only 1 or 2 on the second use.
I love the handle, and the hair is definitely soft.
But if I’m being honest, I definitely prefer my Zenith Manchurian. It has great backbone and I’m able to sort of scrub my face with it, which feels amazing. Maybe “Lightly exfoliate“ is a more apt description?
It also makes lather better (I guess due to the backbone?).

There‘a no “scrubbing“ happening with this Simpsons. I don’t know if I would call it “mop-like”, but… it’s not far from it.
Maybe that’s what Best badger is supposed to be like?

These are the only 2 badgers I’ve ever used so I don’t have a baseline to compare where they fall on a spectrum.
But I know now that I definitely prefer some scrubbiness.

I finally took the plunge and bought a Semogue Torga C5 Silvertip to go with my Torga C5 Premium Boar, Mistura and 2-Band Finest. And very happy that I did.

The tips on the Silvertip are definitely softer than the 2-Band Finest. I would describe the Silvertip as firm with a little less backbone than the 2-Band Finest. To put "firm" in perspective, the Silvertip has more backbone than a Simpson KH4 Best Badger.

View attachment 1820887

2-Band Finest on left. Silvertip on right.

View attachment 1820888
Which badger do you prefer of the 2?
I‘d also be curious if there’s one of the brushes you like best out of the 4?

Top Bottom