What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Dscosmetic boar from Aliexpress, 14 euros shipped. I needed a new boar since my little cheap Omega turned out to be an uncomfortable broom with constantly hairs falling out. My Zenith needs 3 days to dry so I need a second boar for rotation.

I didn't want to shell out 25 euros + 10 euros shipping for a Semogue. It's too much money for a boar imo. Generally, the prices are not to great, and the shipping costing 50% of the cost of the brush is only increasing the problem for me.
Untitled.png

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
My first of, I hope, several brushes from @Rudy Vey.

This one is “Shredded Money in Clear Resin” with a 24mm Semogue Premium Boar knot. It looks and feels to me to be the same knot used in their SOC brushes.

Not sure what his handle design is called, but, it is pretty close to the size of Zeniths’s XL handles.

Measurements:
1-5/8” diameter at the base
2-1/2” handle height
~4-5/8” total height
4 ounces exactly on my kitchen scale

Perfect for my large mitts. You metric w⚓️s are on your own for unit conversion.

I felt that the concept of shredded cash was an appropriate symbol for this hobby of ours.

Many thanks to Rudy for a beautiful brush!

IMG_5163.jpeg
IMG_5164.jpeg
IMG_5165.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

This one is “Shredded Money in Clear Resin” with a 24mm Semogue Premium Boar knot. It looks and feels to me to be the same knot used in their SOC brushes.

Not sure what his handle design is called, but, it is pretty close to the size of Zeniths’s XL handles.

Measurements:
2-1/2” handle height
~4-5/8” total height

Perfect for my large mitts. You metric w⚓️s are on your own for unit conversion.

I felt that the concept of shredded cash was an appropriate symbol for this hobby of ours.

View attachment 1815847View attachment 1815848View attachment 1815849
The shape is one of my early own designs, before I knew there are Shaving Fora out there...it is probably similar to the AS3M, one of my favorite shapes. The original can be seen on my site, and I set the site up in 2008/9.

Measurements:
2-1/2” handle height
~4-5/8” total height

View attachment 1815847View attachment 1815848View attachment 1815849
Beautiful brush, made by a true artisan 🧑‍🎨, congratulations

@rsp1202. I looked for that handle and didn't see it.. Would you happen to have a link on where its available.... I saw a blue one that looked similar but it was named differently.... TYIA for any info... I appreciate it a lot....
It's one of Andrew's (APShaveCo) custom handles that he periodically releases. I already knew about it and asked if he had any left, which he did. Contact him directly to see what's available. I don't know the name of the handle shape (btw, handle height is 65mm), but the pour is Night Sky. You can use the photo when inquiring. Good luck.

It's one of Andrew's (APShaveCo) custom handles that he periodically releases. I already knew about it and asked if he had any left, which he did. Contact him directly to see what's available. I don't know the name of the handle shape (btw, handle height is 65mm), but the pour is Night Sky. You can use the photo when inquiring. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it a lot..

Just received this custom ordered brush from Rudy Vey. The wood is carved out of spalted Tamarind and the knot is the Semogue Premium Boar (24/25 mm size). See below picture for review.

PXL_20240324_1339073432.jpg

This is my first Semogue boar which was proceeded by a cheapo Omega and the famous Connaught Omega Jade. I previously thought all boars were pretty much the same so I was pleasantly surprised to discover I like the Semogue way more than my previous Omegas. I'm only 2 shaves in so it's not fully broken in yet but it feels quite a bit softer than the Omegas did yet with still good backbone. The Omegas by comparison were too firm and scratchy for me.

Since using it I came across some posts here where a few people theorized that Semogues feel softer because the way they're glued together has the bristles slightly more angled apart which makes them splay easier, while Omegas are glued together pointing straight up. My experience is consistent with that theory. I wanted to like the Connaught Omega Jade but it was way too firm for me. Some people have posted that the Semogues have too little backbone but I have trouble understanding that since it still more backbone than my 2 band silver tip badgers.

The Semogue also had virtually no scent upon receipt whereas both Omegas smelled like they came straight from the pig trough and took weeks and numerous cleanings for the scent to go away.

Going forward Semogue will likely be my boar knot of choice.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Just received this custom ordered brush from Rudy Vey. The wood is carved out of spalted Tamarind and the knot is the Semogue Premium Boar (24/25 mm size). See below picture for review.

View attachment 1817480

This is my first Semogue boar which was proceeded by a cheapo Omega and the famous Connaught Omega Jade. I previously thought all boars were pretty much the same so I was pleasantly surprised to discover I like the Semogue way more than my previous Omegas. I'm only 2 shaves in so it's not fully broken in yet but it feels quite a bit softer than the Omegas did yet with still good backbone. The Omega's by comparison were too firm and scratchy for me.

Since using it I came across some posts here where a few people theorized that Semogues feel softer because the way they're glued together has the bristles slightly more angled apart which makes them splay easier, while Omegas are glued together pointing straight up. My experience is consistent with that theory. I wanted to like the Connaught Omega Jade but it was way too firm for me. Some people have posted that the Semogues have too little backbone buI have trouble seeing that since it still more backbone than my 2 band silver tip badgers. The Semogue also had virtually no scent upon receipt whereas both Omegas smelled like they came straight from the pig trough and took weeks and numerous cleanings to for the scent to go away. Going forward Semogue will likely be my boar knot of choice.
Beautiful brush! Rudy is a true artist.

Top Bottom