What's new

breaking in a Norton 4000/8000

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've got a new Norton 4k/8k stone, that I want to start honing with. I understand that these need to be 'flattened out' before use, and that the best way to do this is to rub it onto a piece of sandpaper glued on a sheet of glass &c.

Is this the best way?

What kind and #grit of sandpaper should I use?

Any other tips for this??

... thanks in advance, guys!!

It just needs to be something flat. I use a piece of fake marble from the home improvement store. Soak the norton for ~ 30 minutes before doing this. Draw a grid on both sides with a pencil. Wet a sheet of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and put the smooth side down on the marble, and lap away in a figure 8 pattern until the pencil marks are gone. Do the 4k side first, then the 8k side. The wet sandpaper will stick to the tile just fine, no need to glue it down.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I use a flattening stone, or stone fixer. This makes it much easier to do the all important beveling of the edges of your stones.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I use a flattening stone, or stone fixer. This makes it much easier to do the all important beveling of the edges of your stones.

thanks! where's a good place to get one of these?

You should use at least a 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. 800 or 1000 grit will do a better job but take a bit longer to lap the Norton. You can get 600/800/1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper at any auto parts store for a few dollars.

Top Bottom