What's new

Boy Scout Hatchet Collection

OK, so I posted back in July that I had restored my grandfather's 1970's Plumb axe and also a Plumb double bit from eBay.

That and my hobby as a Scoutmaster got me looking into BSA hatchets.

Please see the pic below. I have managed to acquire all but 1-2 of the major hatchet models from 1912 through the 1990's

I am looking for more, so if you have one gathering dust in your closet or shed, contact me.

The makers include Plumb, Collins, Vaughan and Bushnell, Bridgeport, and True Temper.

Nice collection. I have an old Plum Boy Scout hatchet, the finish on the head is pretty dull, but I do have a leather cover for it. How did you such a nice shine on the one in the middle?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't shine the one in the middle, that is partly a light reflection and partly, just honest wear over 70 years or so. When these heads have been kept oiled or stored indoors (as I assume this one was), they stand up pretty well.

Originally, all the heads were painted black.

Nice collection. I have an old Plum Boy Scout hatchet, the finish on the head is pretty dull, but I do have a leather cover for it. How did you such a nice shine on the one in the middle?

What a unique, and fantastic collection!! Thanks for sharing with us!

My 6 year old just started Cub Scouts this week, and I'm an assistant Den leader. I'm now going through 20 years of regret for not pursuing scouts past 2nd Class.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't shine the one in the middle, that is partly a light reflection and partly, just honest wear over 70 years or so. When these heads have been kept oiled or stored indoors (as I assume this one was), they stand up pretty well.

Originally, all the heads were painted black.
Here's my hatchet

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have added two more axes to my little collection. I located an uncommon yellow Bridgeport from 1968-1969 (next to last) and another earlier Bridgeport (3rd from left). Also, found an old Boys' Life ad that showed the Vaughan and Bushnell was originally red handle and black head, so I painted that handle (5th from left).

New photo follows:
All - 3-9-17.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Awesome indeed. :biggrin1:

I re-bought my Camillus Cub Scout knife off ebay last year; happy memory.

re: hatchets; I just acquired and restored a classic Norlund hatchet. See where they are pricy now.

AA

Hatchets have been banned in scouting for a while now. Apparently there were incidents where proper safety was not used and they got stuck in scouts legs.

Great collection though!
Axes are the most useful bushcraft tool, and probably the most dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I love my hatchets, but none of them are nearly as cool as BSA's collection.

I have added two more axes to my little collection. I located an uncommon yellow Bridgeport from 1968-1969 (next to last) and another earlier Bridgeport (3rd from left). Also, found an old Boys' Life ad that showed the Vaughan and Bushnell was originally red handle and black head, so I painted that handle (5th from left).

New photo follows:
View attachment 777768
Did Marbles ever make axes for the Scouts? I always wanted an old marbles belt axe.

Marbles advertised their knives and axes in Boys' Life magazine, but they never made items that were official with the BSA logo on them.

Top Bottom