What's new

Another Rabbit Hole - Axe Collecting!

OK, so I have an old axe that was my grandfather's. Not super old, but from the '70's or '80's. It was pretty beat up and I never thought twice about it.

Well, I was using it a few weeks back and noticed that it has a maker's mark of Plumb on the face.

Got me to doing internet searches and Plumb is a long-standing maker, along with Collins, Keen Kutter, True Temper, and many others. Although their stuff is all imported, now, the older stuff is high quality.

There is a whole universe of axe collectors and restorers out there that are as passionate about their hobby as we are about shaving. There are fora similar to this one that are great resources of information

So, I decided to restore the axe. Replaced handle, oiled it up really with tung oil and repainted head. The head is a New Jersey pattern and is heave at over 4 lbs.

Results are below.

I had so much fun doing that, that I got a Plumb double bit head off that auction site, rust-blued it myself (fun project) and attached it to a red-stained handle to recreate a 1920's Plumb.

Because I am a Scout leader, this led me to looking into the various BSA hatchets from the past. Stay tuned for results of that excursion.

$IMG_1116.jpg
$IMG_1118.jpg
$IMG_1120.jpg
$IMG_1121.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_1115.jpg
    $IMG_1115.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 62

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ax AND 'hawk collecting ... a very worthwhile thing to do.

That one looks good. Have a fave from the 1980s that's currently in disgraceful shape that needs the same treatment. A mid-weight "boy's ax," found to be a nice packable-weight; kind of a go-between a hawk and an ax.

AA

That single bit looks like a splitting axe? Is that what New Jersey Pattern means? Really cool. Nice job painting it.

You could (and I do) use the red one for splitting wood. I would not normally paint an axe head. The purists say that creates too much friction and robs efficient chopping. This one came painted and I was going for the original look, so I painted it.

On Axe patterns, the name refers to how it looks from a side view. Until I started reading about these axes, I had never paid attention to the different shapes. Apparently, different shapes were preferred in different parts of the country based on the intended use of the axe.

Here is a link to a page that shows the most common "patterns" or head shapes. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment...lications/fs_publications/99232823/page05.cfm

That single bit looks like a splitting axe? Is that what New Jersey Pattern means? Really cool. Nice job painting it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Pretty nice. I still have my Scout Hand Axe, purchased a good half century ago. It still has a pretty good mill file edge, but the cosmetics have deteriorated over the years. Name's still barely visible scratched into the leather sheath. I don't have much occasion to use it but did have it out for yard duty this spring. Hopefully when you get to the scout axe phase of the addiction I can feed off that vicariously .. though I may just see if I can square this one up a bit ..

$IMG_8207.jpg

You could (and I do) use the red one for splitting wood. I would not normally paint an axe head. The purists say that creates too much friction and robs efficient chopping. This one came painted and I was going for the original look, so I painted it.

On Axe patterns, the name refers to how it looks from a side view. Until I started reading about these axes, I had never paid attention to the different shapes. Apparently, different shapes were preferred in different parts of the country based on the intended use of the axe.

Here is a link to a page that shows the most common "patterns" or head shapes. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment...lications/fs_publications/99232823/page05.cfm

Interesting link. Did not realize there were so many different shapes.

I have a Kelly "Perfect" True temper single bit, and a Collins Legitimus axe head that I'm still waiting to find the perfect piece of hickory for. If you care to see pics I'll go look for them but if not, they are prime time so you can just picture it :001_rolle I also have a Plumb hatchet which I think is a Boy Scouts Of America pattern but I don't really like it, the head is too broad and it doesn't take an edge too well. I guess the hatchet is more of a small splitter but I really need a small forest axe so I can't hold that against the Plumb.

Hi RobsForge.

I got my handles from House Handles (https://www.househandle.com/) in Missouri. Good prices and quality and they get pretty good reviews on all the ax collecting discussion groups I visited. I have been happy with the handles. Much, much thinner, i.e. better and easier to grip, than the ones you typically see in hardware stores or the big box retailers.

I have a Kelly "Perfect" True temper single bit, and a Collins Legitimus axe head that I'm still waiting to find the perfect piece of hickory for. If you care to see pics I'll go look for them but if not, they are prime time so you can just picture it :001_rolle I also have a Plumb hatchet which I think is a Boy Scouts Of America pattern but I don't really like it, the head is too broad and it doesn't take an edge too well. I guess the hatchet is more of a small splitter but I really need a small forest axe so I can't hold that against the Plumb.

Top Bottom