What's new

Bootlegger's Series: That OkieStubble did it again!

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...I know, it's another thread about the Bootlegger Series of Aftershaves that [MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION] developed along with [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION]. Well OkieStubble has been hard at work and has evidently sent many of us samples of is famous Bootlegger's line of designer Aftershaves. So I thought I would create a thread about reviewing these awesome scents.

This morning I tried his Perfecto. I am not a huge tobacco fan but this is subtle enough. I like to wear an Aftershave or Cologne the whole day before I do a review, but I thought I would let you know, so far, this stuff is great. I will let you know later today how it was. Thanks Rob for sending me your creations.

I'm not sure if this is a hijack or not :blush: but does anyone have a good source for the Vito's Colonia Tobacco or a good substitute? I would love to try/make both of the Perfecto's but I'm having a hard time finding this stuff. I've found some places that sell it over seas but all that I've found so far are backordered. I noticed in another thread that OkieStubble was looking for a substitute but I haven't seen any additional info on it yet. I almost started a new thread asking this but I figured since you guys were talking about the Perfecto already here would be as good a place as any.
Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure if this is a hijack or not :blush: but does anyone have a good source for the Vito's Colonia Tobacco or a good substitute? I would love to try/make both of the Perfecto's but I'm having a hard time finding this stuff. I've found some places that sell it over seas but all that I've found so far are backordered. I noticed in another thread that OkieStubble was looking for a substitute but I haven't seen any additional info on it yet. I almost started a new thread asking this but I figured since you guys were talking about the Perfecto already here would be as good a place as any.
Thanks for any help!

Can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

What timing! I just posted this:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/484938-Vitos-Colonia-Tobacco

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...I know, it's another thread about the Bootlegger Series of Aftershaves that @OkieStubble developed along with @TheVez2. Well OkieStubble has been hard at work and has evidently sent many of us samples of is famous Bootlegger's line of designer Aftershaves. So I thought I would create a thread about reviewing these awesome scents.

This morning I tried his Perfecto. I am not a huge tobacco fan but this is subtle enough. I like to wear an Aftershave or Cologne the whole day before I do a review, but I thought I would let you know, so far, this stuff is great. I will let you know later today how it was. Thanks Rob for sending me your creations.

View attachment 644982

Great review Dan! I'm glad you liked it. And you got to love that huge pic of the Perfecto label! I think every label the Vez2 has created is an absolutely perfect picture, describing every aftershave shave.

Thanks guys! So I said that I would come back and give my thoughts that the day is over. So, beyond my initial comments...this stuff is awesome! I know I am usually a bit of a sunshine pumper, so I will keep my gushing to a minimum. Honestly I didn't think that I would feel the effects of the Perfecto late in the day, but seriously, my face felt very moisturized through out the day and into the late afternoon.. I didn't expect to catch whiffs of the scent that late either, but I did. I applied it this morning around 6:30, just to give you an idea. So at any rate...did I mention that this stuff is good?

For those who haven't read the Wiki page on the Bootlegger's Series please see the following link:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Bootleggers

Or for those who just want to make some for themselves:

1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum
1 Part: Vito's Colonia Tobacco

Many bay rum lovers want a summertime bay rum, without the heavy, cloying scent of clove & spice. Bootlegger’s Perfecto is a light & breezy bay rum, with a light masculine scent of Virginian leaf tobacco, (hence the name "Perfecto") blended with a bright summer scent of orange citrus. Smells like Cuba!

I hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Splashed on some El Dorado this morning. So far I like the scent and feel of it. I will tell you all a little later tonight how it fared through the day. But for now, those of you who are wondering what it is, see below:

2 Parts: Pinaud Special Reserve
2 Parts: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
1 Part: English Leather

Pinaud Special Reserve is loved by many, just the way it is. However, there are some who just can't warm up to it, even though the idea of a smoky, leather type aftershave appeals to them. For some folks the cheaply made scent of Pinaud Special Reserve is just missing something. The dry down seems old and dusty. Some people call it an 'Old Lady' scent.

Bootlegger’s El Dorado maintains the leathery and smoky notes and what makes Special Reserve... 'Special'. While softening its edges and rounding out the dry down into something a bit more refined, with an added touch of class and a hint of sophistication. If you wanted to like Pinaud Special Reserve, but just couldn’t, then Bootlegger’s El Dorado could be the aftershave for you.

$El_Dorado.png

So, as mentioned previously, I wore the Bootlegger's El Dorado yesterday. This was a real joy to wear! When applied, it definitely hits the smokey and even some of the leather notes. I liked the scent on application, but when it dries down a bit, that is when it really works it's magic. So full disclosure, the entire day I smelled El Dorado, and yes...I caught whiffs of it all day long, I really though it smelled like old spice. It just hit some note with me that triggered the Old Spice memories with me. Well, I compared it to Classic Old Spice by Proctor & Gamble and Vintage Old Spice by Shulton. What I came up with is that El Dorado doesn't smell like either Old Spice at all. But for some reason it just reminded me of Old Spice (not a bad thing buy the way...Old Spice is on of the most complimented scents I wear...and by women no less :w00t:).

Scent - So I know I talked about the scent a little bit but let me get into it. On application, the scent is smokey and leathery, there is also some spice to it nut unlike bay rum but not with all the clove smell. After it dries down...like the description says, it gets a little more sophisticated. You get a good bit of a powder scent, but not like Pinaud Clubman. I guess this is wear I get the Old Spice from. The powder scent, I think, is stronger than Old Spice, but a lot less than Clubman Original. This is a very manly scent and I enjoyed it very much.

Moisturizing - I can honestly say, that between Perfecto and El Dorado, these may be the two most moisturizing *** I have ever worn that was outside a balm or milk. I was feeling the effects of a very nourished face well in to the late afternoon and early evening. I think the Perfecto does a slightly better job at this than the El Dorado, but I think we are splitting hairs here.

Longevity - No need to reapply here! So I applied Bootlegger's El Dorado around 7:00 AM after my shave and then about an hour later, I gave myself another squirt in the hands to add to my face and excess rubbed on my shirt (a practice I do just before I leave for work to ensure I smell my best...might be overkill, but nobody has complained yet at work, on the contrary, I usually get compliments). El Dorado lasted me into the evening before I had to shower to go out for my Father-in-Law's Birthday Dinner. So as far as longevity goes...yes it lasts a long time.

Wear ability - So many scent profiles that we toss around the Badger & Blade arena are very nice, but I am not sure that I would wear them. For example, I have smelled an AS before that the scent profile was a nice bourbon or whiskey smell. Now I love the smell of a good whiskey (Sazerac 18 year old Rye Whiskey is one of them...get yourself some if you can find it...but you probably can't), and I really liked the smell of that AS, but I don't want to smell like a drunk all day long. El Dorado is not that. Bootleggers El Dorado is a very wearable scent. In fact, between the Pefecto and the El Dorado...this one may be my favorite.

So I hope this review helps someone out in a small way. I will get reviews up as soon as I can. I probably wont get one up for the weekend, but Monday I will be back on it. Have a great weekend!

Well, as the post says...this morning was a Green Freeze kind of morning. I was playing outside yesterday in the yard...and by playing I mean, mowing the grass, timing, edging, weeding the flowerbeds, putting down mulch, etc, etc, etc. You guys get the picture. But since the temperature didn't get above 60 degrees Fahrenheit, I decided to opt out of sunscreen. I make this mistake every year...you would think I would learn my lesson by now. Needless to say, I got burned. Hence the need to cool off.

So like I said...it was a green freeze kind of morning. These are just my initial thoughts like I have been doing all along. I will do a more in-depth review later on after I have worn the AS all day.

When I applied Green Freeze it definitely gives you a cooling effect. Not overpowering like I hear a lot of you describe from the likes of straight up Osage Rub, Fine Snakebite, or anything with the Cryogen in the name. It was cooling but a very pleasant effect. The one thing I did notice that I wasn't too sure about, was when applied, it went on almost sticky. But as I sit here Drinking my Dark Roast coffee, eating my Steel Cut oatmeal, and four finger typing this post, it has dried very nicely. I like the scent very much. I very subtle powder smell and and maybe a little musk. Like I said though...very subtle. I doubt the scent will last the whole days like the others so far, but we will see.

For those that want to know more here is the link to the Bootlegger's Wiki page:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Bootleggers

Also, for those who just want to read this part:

1 Part: Osage Rub
1 Part: Mennen Skin Bracer

Osage Rub is great. It’s a cold blast that feels great on your face, especially in the summer. But unfortunately it smells very medicinal (like Vicks VapoRub) from the menthol and eucalyptus, and it has no lasting scent after the dry down. Skin Bracer has a great scent with notes of vanilla, musk, powder, and lavender (but mostly vanilla). It contains menthol, but doesn’t offer the same punch as Osage Rub. Mixing the two makes the perfect combo! The vanilla from the Skin Bracer is a perfect summer time scent and perfectly masks the medicinal scent of Osage Rub. They both have menthol, but the extra menthol and eucalyptus from Osage Rub, gives the mix an extra cooling boost, taking Skin Bracer to the next, next level! This is a favorite of many members of B&B.

$Green_Freeze.png

So now that the day is over with, I want to let you know what I thought about Green Freeze. This is a great Aftershave for those who want something with a little scent, but not too much, to wear on a hot day. The menthol is just enough to give you a cool down, but not enough to give you frostbite. Someone could even splash this on after a shave and then squirt some cologne on. With that, while I caught a little scent on my hands a few hours later, there really wasn't much there...and by lurch time it was all but dissipated. That being said, Green Freeze did leave my face moisturized most of the day. Not as much as the El Dorado or the Perfecto, but it did a nice job at keeping my face feeling soft for the day.

So today I decided to try the Bootlegger's Bay Rum. It is a scent that I associate with being a very typical Bay Rum. This is a good thing. I really anticipate wearing this scent and having to fight of the wenches, raid sea going vessels, and collect my Pieces of Eight for earning of living up to the Pirate life...Garrr! Seriously though. I like the scent a lot. A very typical Bay Rum scent. I applied the aftershave around 6:00 AM this morning and at noon I was able catch a small whiff on my hands. A couple hours later and the scent was completely gone. The Bootlegger's Bay Rum, like the others before it, is very moisturizing on my face. I felt these properties on my skin most of the day much like the others also. All in all this is a very wearable aftershave and I will probably be whipping up a batch of this before the month is out. I really love what OkieStubble is doing with these. Very good aftershaves in all. Tomorrow I will try out the Lime Bay Rum...I will let you know how it goes. For those who are keeping up, see the link for the Bootleggers Wiki here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Bootleggers

Or you can read about what it is here:

1 Part: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum

This is the original folks, accept no substitute. Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, while long lasting, has a very strong burn, and is very clovey and spicy. The Master has real bay oil and a nice scent (although too sweet for some), but has so much glycerin that it can feel tacky or sticky, by itself. Superior 70 is wonderfully cheap, has real Puerto Rican bay oil, and a very high alcohol content (70%), making it more a medicinal rub than an aftershave. But all 3 bay rums mix together for a synergistic bay rum utopia! The alcohol in the Superior 70 cuts down the glycerin in Master, making the glycerin level just right, while it's Puerto Rican bay oil gives it an authentic bay rum scent. The Master’s glycerin nourishes the face and calms down the high alcohol levels in Superior 70 and spice of Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, making the amount of burn just right. And lastly, the Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum gives the mix its perfect color and longevity of scent, unlike the fleeting scents of some of the higher dollar bay rums. It is the perfect bay rum for the holidays!

$Bay_Rum.png

Top Bottom