What's new

Book review: "How to Sharpen Pencils"

David Rees, "How to Sharpen Pencils: a Practical and Theoretical Treatise on the Artisanal Craft of Pencil Sharpening".

Author David Rees describes himself as an artisanal pencil sharpener practising the craft of hand sharpening pencils, a task for which he currently charges $35 per pencil. A notice reproduced in the early pages of the book advertises a price of $12.50 per pencil, but that was apparently before the book was published, a fact which evidently increased his fame and thus the market value of his hand sharpened pencils.

So is this book (and his attempt to associate himself with artisanal crafts) a joke? A clever lampoon? Or perhaps it is a crass attempt to exploit the growing interest in older, artisanal ways of doing things, pencil related and otherwise? Or is it really, as he asserts, a labor of love, a true calling, and a valuable business service?

Certainly there is a good bit of humor in the book. In fact, on the back cover of the book, the filing categories are stated to be "humor/reference". And although John Hodgman, the author of the Foreward to the book, assures us (in all caps) that David Rees "is a person who takes EVERYTHING VERY SERIOUSLY", this reviewer gets the impression that his seriousness, as seen in this book and several of his youtube videos on pencil sharpening, has at least a healthy dosage of an act about it. For surely he must know that anyone can sharpen a pencil, just as anyone can tie their own shoes..

More to the point (no pun intended), does a book such as this really promote artisanal crafts? Certainly it raises an awareness of, and promotes an interest in, pencils and, by association, handwriting generally, so in that sense the answer would assuredly be, yes! But this doesn't come without another side. For one of the main ideas behind artisanal crafts, and any movement in support of same, is to foster those skills, crafts, and know-how which provide a counter to the mass produced, mass marketed sameness which is so ubiquitous and whose chief selling points are convenience and low cost (often just cheapness in more than one sense of the word). But I fail to see where a task which almost anyone can do for themselves, and quite serviceably if not with excellence, fits into this category.

I am reminded of the Arts and Crafts Movement of the late 19th century, also dedicated to fostering craftsmanship in an era of mechanization and industrial mass production. Thorstein Veblen, in his "Theory of the Leisure Class", was not alone in criticising the movement as essentially elitist. He bemoaned the phenomenon of "costliness masquerading under the guise of beauty" as well as the.
"veneration for the archaic or obsolete".

The danger is that by valuing an object or service for its high cost, the patron of such goods and services becomes another example of those pursuing the culture of wastefulness, which Veblen dubbed conspicuous consumption. And thus, the artisanal crafts, in the wrong context, merely promote and reinforce the same economic and aesthetic values whose crassness called the movement into play in the first place.

On the plus side, this book was a quick and pleasant read and it will show you the right way to sharpen a pencil. So read this book for pleasure, for humor, and for instruction. But don't take it too seriously.

As an aside, do Veblen's criticisms of artisanal crafts apply to wet shaving? Apart from collectors and jokes about ADs, I would say that wet shaving, by comparison to the cultural norm for such activities, is less expensive, more aesthetically pleasing, and yields a better shave. So I think we're safe.

Rough draft written with a Mitsubishi pencil sharpened with a KUM brass one-hole .hand-held (twist) sharpener and KUM blade.

Web links

David Rees' artisanal pencil sharpening web site
http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

NY Times Book Review
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/05/david-rees-how-to-sharpen-pencils.html

Early Office Museum exhibit of antique pencil sharpeners
http://www.officemuseum.com/pencil_sharpeners.htm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh, I think he's poking fun at people like us. :001_rolle

Take a mundane daily chore, be it sharpening a pencil or shaving, and turn it into something one obsesses over and chases down all the intricate details ... oh yeah, that's us. Not that he has wetshavers as his intended target, but the extreme end of any artisanal hobby out there. But it's done in a kindhearted way, so we should all be able to get a chuckle out of it, and see our own foibles reflected in his.

I'll pick up on something the OP said ...

But this doesn't come without another side. For one of the main ideas behind artisanal crafts, and any movement in support of same, is to foster those skills, crafts, and know-how which provide a counter to the mass produced, mass marketed sameness which is so ubiquitous and whose chief selling points are convenience and low cost (often just cheapness in more than one sense of the word). But I fail to see where a task which almost anyone can do for themselves, and quite serviceably if not with excellence, fits into this category.

I am reminded of the Arts and Crafts Movement of the late 19th century, also dedicated to fostering craftsmanship in an era of mechanization and industrial mass production. Thorstein Veblen, in his "Theory of the Leisure Class", was not alone in criticising the movement as essentially elitist. He bemoaned the phenomenon of "costliness masquerading under the guise of beauty" as well as the "veneration for the archaic or obsolete".

The danger is that by valuing an object or service for its high cost, the patron of such goods and services becomes another example of those pursuing the culture of wastefulness, which Veblen dubbed conspicuous consumption. And thus, the artisanal crafts, in the wrong context, merely promote and reinforce the same economic and aesthetic values whose crassness called the movement into play in the first place.

Highlighted text for emphasis ... guilty as charged ... sort of.

Certainly, I think there is a desire to avoid mass-produced sameness, especially where that sameness comes at the expense of durability, or the less-easily defined aspects of "quality". I don't think it's necessarily the desire to avoid sameness ... I'd love all of my shoes to be hand-made to the same exact highest standards, for example.

I think there is a certain veneration for "hand-made", which often leads to minor variations and imperfections, which some people can come to venerate ... the tiny errors that make it possible to be sure that it wasn't machine-made ... but really, most of us don't want those errors, we want the quality that comes from added attention to detail.

Interesting conclusion, that we value an item or service for its cost ... but not one that I'd generally agree with in terms of people who pursue artisanal goods and services ... bespoke shoes and clothes, hand-made fountain pens, custom straight razors, strops from Tony Miller rather than Giant Strop Co. Ltd. ... what I think we mostly value is the added time and attention that goes into making the items ... and sometimes a veneration for an old way of doing things that results in a far more labour-intensive production method ... and the higher labour costs resulting in a higher price are a "necessary evil" rather than a bonus.

Sure, some people like owning "the best" and the easiest way of measuring what is "best" (both for the purchaser and for his friends and peers to whom he will be showing off) is to see what is most expensive and ... voila! Those people are far better off buying a recognisable "luxury brand" and leave it at that, than expecting their friends to be able to spot the intrinsic value of an item. (You could spend the same amount on a watch and suit ... but if they are obscure makers you don't have the same bragging rights with your friends compared to Armani and Rolex ... or D&G and Omega, &c.)

I must confess, I have always lazily sharpened my pencils with the grain. Further passes across the grain and against the grain must surely give better results. Does the book explain how to carry out these manoeuvres safely?

I usually dial up the correct aperture and grind away.

$21410-1055-3ww-l.jpg

Great review and thanks for taking the time to enrich us.

Last edited:
I usually dial up the correct aperture and grind away.

View attachment 372525

Great review and thanks for taking the time to enrich us.

Thanks for the compliment!

That said, I think Mr. Rees use of mechanical hand-crank pencil sharpeners would not be approved by the artisanal pencil sharpeners of old. They would certainly eschew such devices as surely as Mr. Rees does the electric pencil sharpener or the mechanical pencil. Indeed, why is a mechanical pencil to be avoided but not a mechanical pencil sharpener.

But the real giveaway for me is that almost all of his customers are purchasing his service simply to display the pencils along with their sharpening certificate.

So I think it is all an elaborate joke. Mind you, it is a good joke, very well played and I do appreciate that.

my lather is always too dry when sharpening pencils - I don't know whether to use soap or cream, badger or boar - I'm torn between which blade to use and whether I should try for one extra shave or use a new blade - also not sure what ASB to use as the tip of my pencil is always dry post-shave and I've never once had a BBS pencil after shaving it - maybe I need to map the grain, or try a 3pass technique - any tips are greatly appreciated! don't get me started on lead vs colour pencils :001_rolle

on the bright side, Arko makes my pencils smell nice.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I sharpen my pencils by hand with a brand new Thiers-Issard razor, which I promptly throw in the trash when I'm done, as they're only good for one pencil. I charge $300.

I often sharpen mine just the way grandpaw did, with a pocket knife. I'm considering a book about Survivalist Sharpening, in negotiations with a publisher now. Submission of handwritten manuscripts seems to be the sticking point.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My solution is to just buy a lifetime supply as I have for razor blades.

No no no ... it's all about getting the right stones to sharpen them ... think "straight razors" rather than DEs.

Top Bottom