What's new

Boar Break-In Question

I just starting using a vintage Kent KS8 today, which has a cased boar knot (core of boar surrounded by a very thin layer of badger). I am well aware that boar knots have a break in period where the ends split, and it takes a bunch of scrubbing to do it. Question is, what is the fastest way for me to make that happen, assuming I use the same brush once a day, every day until broken in. Will it happen best if I bowl lather or face lather?

If you want quick results, I would do the following:

- Clean your brush and generate a thick lather with it. Let it sit overnight with the lather.
- Rinse the lather, shake dry and then blow dry on the hot setting for a few minutes.
- Repeat for a week.

Using a hot air blow dryer will split up the ends quite nicely. I found that my Omega boar brush had its loft soften up significantly. When wet it is great on the fact but it is is still stiffer than a badger when dry. This makes is a great hard soap brush. However, it still works great with creams. Additionally, you can still use the brush throughout the week.

Last edited:
I would not recommend soaking boar hair in lather overnight. They soak up water in ways badger does not, and can lead to breakage. Similarly with a blow dryer, you should be careful to only just dry the bristle. Or not even dry it completely, as it should easily finish drying before the next day. The big secret for boar bristle is to allow the knot to completely dry, because that is what conditions and breaks it in, not just creating tons of lather again and again and again.

I'd definitely say to lather with it every day, on your face or in your palm. Of course, I'm not a bowl lathering fan, so.....

I would not recommend soaking boar hair in lather overnight. They soak up water in ways badger does not, and can lead to breakage. Similarly with a blow dryer, you should be careful to only just dry the bristle. Or not even dry it completely, as it should easily finish drying before the next day. The big secret for boar bristle is to allow the knot to completely dry, because that is what conditions and breaks it in, not just creating tons of lather again and again and again.

I'd definitely say to lather with it every day, on your face or in your palm. Of course, I'm not a bowl lathering fan, so.....

+1 No blow dryer , no soaking during the night. You use it daily (there is no need to actually shave with the lather you make) and store it in a place that allows it to dry in 24 hours. Be patient, some things better be done the right way instead of fast. That is what wetshaving is about anyway...:001_rolle

Sorry gentlemen, we're going to have to disagree. I had no problems with using a blow dryer to break in a brush, especially regarding breakage. When all is said and done, the brush hasn't been any better.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's what's so great about this place, a wide variety of opinions to mull over and choose from!

I'll add mine - I face lathered with mine, and when done, shake it out, and then lightly rub it bristles pointing in on a bath towel for a minute or so, then left to air dry.

Considerably softer after about a week.

Let me add that once you break in your brush (if you followed the blow dry method I used) you shouldn't blow dry going forward to dry out your brush. This would likely lead to damaged brush bristles in the long term . You're trying to break in your brush, not break it. Boar bristle hair brushes stand up to years of blow drying abuse but they are constructed differently and often have synthetic fibers mixed in the bristles.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As this is a vintage knot, I am going to take a pretty conservative approach with it, and will probably just face and bowl lather with it until it breaks in. Thinking about it, I would hate to look at a pile of bristles in my hand and put 20/20 hindsight to work just because I was in a hurry.

I have many boars and every other day each of them get a bowl lather treatment, wash and 48 hours to dry. I alternate between using a boar and a badger day to day so that it gives plenty of time for the boars to completely dry. On my boar day I just use one to shave (I face lather) and the other 4 of mine get bowl lather treatments with whatever soap I'm not to keen on.

Top Bottom