What's new

Blown away by Omega 011829

I have the Cherry wood SOC. It's a lovely brush that is part of my brush rotation. It feels like a Denser 1800 for me.
That’s in line with pretty much everything that I’ve read about the SOC, which makes it sound redundant with the 1800 and Pro-49. An excellent boar, but not a game changer. I have plenty of great boars - I want something *different*

I just put my new Omega 011842 Jade to use for the first time this morning. I was also trying Mitchell's Wool Fat for the first time, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised with outstanding results. I really enjoy this brush. Great value as well...

View attachment 1012507
Is the faux jade handle a solid, uniform color, or does it have variations in color like true jade? Thanks

Is the faux jade handle a solid, uniform color, or does it have variations in color like true jade? Thanks
It has some variation, but it is hard to detect, at least mine. I took a pic, so you can be the judge. It is the best boar brush I have used.

IMG_3665.jpeg

connaught shaving used to stock the ones with little medallion. Many users complained to him about it and he got rid of that in subsequent batches. I rather liked the quirky little medallion and hunted it out from another supply website. I like this handle a lot but cant say if the knot is working for me.

9BB8DDCD-26C4-4E7E-BFE3-6FD712C3979B_1_201_a.jpeg

Another fan of the 011829, a superb boar brush. My understanding is the brush was a special order from Omega by Connaughts after feedback from members of a UK shaving forum on their ideal boar brush. The medallion was not speced by Connaught but added by Omega and subsequently dropped on the V2 model as some forum members found it irritating. In use, the face feel is similar to the 102 but just like the 49 the 102 looses some of its backbone after prolonged use. The 011829, because of the short loft, remains more focused even after prolonged use. It has a plush face feel; very much the cadillac of boar brushes :001_smile

In use, the face feel is similar to the 102 but just like the 49 the 102 looses some of its backbone after prolonged use.
Are you referring to 20102? I have it and my 20102 can rival a car jack. I love it for being this stout and it works very well for high density lathering soaps like WMF and Tabac. Softer and thin lathering soaps don’t do much to keep the top splayed.

Are you referring to 20102? I have it and my 20102 can rival a car jack. I love it for being this stout and it works very well for high density lathering soaps like WMF and Tabac. Softer and thin lathering soaps don’t do much to keep the top splayed.

...yes; whilst the 102 is a great brush with wonderful face feel it does not have the backbone of the Omega Proraso or the Omega Baby Pro. Further it will loose the backbone it does have, after prolonged use, and splay significantly more than others. Although a couple of "o" rings around the base of the knot will ensure normal service is resumed. I will add I swirl my brushes, both head and face, and shave daily so my brushes get hard use...

My 011842 arrived today and will replace a Semogue 620 in my home five brush lineup. I have generally been partial to Badger as the rest of the lineup consists of a Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2 band silvertip, a Simpson Chubby 1 in super, a Simpson Duke 3 in best, and a Simpson Classic 2 in best. Travel brush is a Simpson Major in super.

I face lather exclusively and enjoyed the Semogue 620 as a change from my other brushes, but the Semogue began to fall apart on me, which is a little disappointing because I always treated it right.

This Omega just looked to be the right boar for me if I continued to use a boar. First impression is that it is big. The handle is large and the 27 mm knot is significantly larger than the Semogue. It does have a bit of a boar funk, but since I’m using Tabac this week, I can’t think of a better way to get rid of the funk.

I’m looking forward to it’s maiden voyage tomorrow morning.

@clickity-click I heard many others saying pretty much the same about 2012 but mine is the stiffest boar I have, to the point it cannot be used with every soap.
@sm29 don't think too much about 27 mm knot. It doesn't splay like floppy mop semogue and overall it is just comfortably bigger than 620. I wish the knot was little more filled on mine. Do let us know how your first
shave went. It will take about 5 shaves to fully break in.

@clickity-click I heard many others saying pretty much the same about 2012 but mine is the stiffest boar I have, to the point it cannot be used with every soap.
@sm29 don't think too much about 27 mm knot. It doesn't splay like floppy mop semogue and overall it is just comfortably bigger than 620. I wish the knot was little more filled on mine. Do let us know how your first
shave went. It will take about 5 shaves to fully break in.

...your experience of the 102 is the only one that matters :001_smile; delighted it is a great brush for you. Finding a knot that ticks all the boxes for us is wonderful.

shave went. It will take about 5 shaves to fully break in

Day one was decent enough. The brush showed a fair amount of backbone but definitely needs some break-in time. I may use this brush for several days in a row, so long as it does dry appropriately. I have noticed that it does not retain nearly as much water as my badgers and I have to re-wet the brush between passes. It held enough lather for three passes. The knot is significantly larger than my others and while not as dense as the Simpson Chubby 1 in super, it is still pretty dense. Because there is no bloom or end-splitting yet, it is too early to fairly evaluate the brush, but I feel it has promise.

I really wanted to like this brush and stayed with it for five out of my last six shaves (I was away for one day). Today it began to perform. It splayed enough for the first time and I left more water in the knot. It is now ready to become part of my regular rotation. I expect it to get better and be a change of pace from my badgers, however I doubt it will become my favorite brush.
image.jpg

Excellent thread. I'm going to get an Omega soon. I have two Semogue and I love them. I prefer boar over badger

I really wanted to like this brush and stayed with it for five out of my last six shaves (I was away for one day). Today it began to perform. It splayed enough for the first time and I left more water in the knot. It is now ready to become part of my regular rotation. I expect it to get better and be a change of pace from my badgers, however I doubt it will become my favorite brush.View attachment 1020803
The stand on the right is very cool. Can I ask where that is from?

Top Bottom