What's new

Blender?

I agree Vitamix is expensive, but you should look and see if they have any refurb ones. My buddy works there and he says alot of times they have them pretty cheap at the factory.

Vitamix is the right choice IF you are a heavy user. Heavy use equals crushing of hard things like ice, nuts, etc. it can also mean lots of use, like in a commercial setting. For many a vitamix is overkill, however. Like buying a 1 ton pickup truck to drive around town in. Will it drive you around town? Yes. Is it the most cost effective way. No.

I tell people to start with a ninja, and start saving for a vitamix. One of two things will happen. The ninja will die, but not for several months and they will be in a better position on get the vitamix and will be more certain that they need it. Or the ninja will meet their needs and they will have saved a lot of money, and put some back that they can use on something else.

Im not against vitamix - great machine. I just don't think everyone should own one, or needs one. If they cost what a ninja did, us feel differently.

Another thing. I think there are many who use their vitamix in lieu of a food processor. I think that is usually a mistake. Right tool for the right job and all that.

I prefer the NUTRI-BULLET for my breakfast smoothie- carrots, spinach, banana, frozen blueberries or strawberries, apple juice, walnuts, and honey. I have a Vita-Mix which works great but the Nutri Bullet has a better design and you just mix and drink straight from the cup. It makes enough for one full size smoothie and you don't waste as much transferring it to a glass. Easier to clean and $100 at Bed bath and Beyond-really $80 as there is always a 20% coupon available. If you are mixing a large quantity the the Vita-Mix is great, the other is just so much more convenient and weighs 50 lbs less.

Last edited:
I've been using my Nutribullet daily for 2 smoothies for about 1.5 years and it still works like new. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I bit the bullet and got the Vitamix Total Nutrition Centre 3. For a new unit, Costco has the best prices at least up here in Canada. I got it when they had a roadshow.

The Vitamix is like the Tasmanian Devil on Bugs Bunny. It will go through anything. Yes, the price is steep but you pay for quality. Doesn't compare to any other blender I have had.

Blendtec blendtec blendtec

Best and only blender you'll ever need. And sorry it blows the socks off of Vitamix, seriously who puts a stick in the middle of the blender to make sure things get blended then charges $400+ for it. We have a Blendtec Wildside and couldn't be happier. Smoothies, almond butter, quick ice cream, soups, sauces, etc.

Oster Beehive Blender or Waring Pro Bar Blender Both are 2 speed, built to last and have survived the onslaught of multi-button blenders over the years. If Vitamix hadn't come along this thread would most likely be a battle between these two blenders. These two are to blending what DE razors are to shaving.

I bought a Ninja like others mentioned and it serves me very well. Since it has the 3-tiered blades like a food processor I find it does a good job on things with ice in it. Granted I've not ever tried a Vitamix and I'm sure they do live up to the rep given all the thumbs up other members give but the price tag I can't justify for the limited use it would see at my house.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used to kill a blender a year until I bought the Vitamix. I had an issue with the container, contacted vitamix and they express shipped a new container for free as it's still under warranty. It works really well, it's noisy but will liquify everything in a flash. I make smoothies, sorbet, sauces for the bbq, mayonnaise and even guacamole very quickly. It's really worth it IMO. That being said, I haven't tried the bullet or ninja systems.

I would recommend a waring MX 1000-1200 series commercial blender. They are the company behind the original blenders and are designed for heavy use. The cost is quite a bit less than the vitamix and blendtec alternatives.

Top Bottom