What's new

Blade Wars: Bic Chrome Platinum vs. Crystal Super+ Platinum

Inconceivable!

:) :)

You know, I had been interested in trying Bics for a while, but I kind of forgot about them. Then I read about them in your thread and it made me want to try them again. I've had great results with the other blades that did well in your bracket. but the overachieving Bic came back to Earth.

I'll believe it. The Bic was the second worst blade I've ever used in my Tech. Can't wait to see the next Blade War.

Thanks, Nick. I'm looking forward to the next Blade War, too. It's interesting to learn how different blades perform for different people in different razors. I'm a little surprised about the bad results in your Tech, though. I don't have one, but I understand their reputation is that they are rather mild. Since the Bic did so poorly in my aggressive razor, I wondered if they would do better in a milder one.

Another great blade war CW.

As I have no experience with either blade, I didn't have a horse in this race, but it is interesting to see them compared in a way that prevents any preconceived bias from influencing the judgement. Keep up the great work.

The Bic shines in super-mild razors. I would imagine less positive things happening on the other end of the spectrum.

Thanks, Nick. I'm looking forward to the next Blade War, too. It's interesting to learn how different blades perform for different people in different razors. I'm a little surprised about the bad results in your Tech, though. I don't have one, but I understand their reputation is that they are rather mild. Since the Bic did so poorly in my aggressive razor, I wondered if they would do better in a milder one.

It could be technique or just a dud blade. I'm only an occasional DE shaver. I mainly stick to SEs and SRs. I've been experimenting with DEs for fun recently. Everything I own is a mild razor (NDC post-war Heavy Tech, Ball End Tech G1, EJ89) . Trying to find a blade that I like has been challenging. GSB, Nacet, & Shark are leading at the moment, but I'm not even though round one of narrowing down the field.

As I have no experience with either blade, I didn't have a horse in this race, but it is interesting to see them compared in a way that prevents any preconceived bias from influencing the judgement. Keep up the great work.
Thanks for your constant encouragement, Lane!

That's exactly what I like about these blade wars too. Without knowing what blade you're using in identical razors it's impossible to be biased towards one or the other. It truly is the only way to level the playing field.

Thanks for taking the time to do these wars [MENTION=93357]cw62803[/MENTION]!

It could be technique or just a dud blade. I'm only an occasional DE shaver. I mainly stick to SEs and SRs. I've been experimenting with DEs for fun recently. Everything I own is a mild razor (NDC post-war Heavy Tech, Ball End Tech G1, EJ89) . Trying to find a blade that I like has been challenging. GSB, Nacet, & Shark are leading at the moment, but I'm not even though round one of narrowing down the field.

Enjoy the search! I haven't tried Shark yet, but love both GSB and Nacet.

That's exactly what I like about these blade wars too. Without knowing what blade you're using in identical razors it's impossible to be biased towards one or the other. It truly is the only way to level the playing field.

Thanks for taking the time to do these wars @cw62803!

Thanks for your kind words. I really enjoy doing them. I was inspired by [MENTION=44657]Oscroft[/MENTION], who did a series of blind tests a few years ago. His tests are awesome. If you get a chance to check them out, I think you'll enjoy them as much as I did.

Great review I like this blind format hope you keep this going
That's nice of you to say. I definitely intend to do more blade wars. I recently received a number of blades I've never tried before, and am looking forward to testing them out.

Great review! Exactly how I felt with the Bic Chrome Platinum's, strange prickly, tugging feeling. They are sharp, but its a different feeling blade than anything else I have tried. There are much better blades out there

Great review! Exactly how I felt with the Bic Chrome Platinum's, strange prickly, tugging feeling. They are sharp, but its a different feeling blade than anything else I have tried. There are much better blades out there

Because a blade doesn't work for you (or the OP) means only that it doesn't work for you. It doesn't mean "there are better blades out there" for somebody who isn't you.

As far as mild razors....BIC was the first blade in my r41 to be able to comfortably take care of the tricky stubble on the crown of my head. I bought 100 shortly thereafter. I'll buy 100 more in Cambodia next month ($10/100).

Per refinedshave objective testing they are after a use or two as sharp as Feather on initial use which is not everyone's cup of tea. Their QC is also not great I've had to bin more defective BICs out of the box than any other of my regular blades. BIC blades that have tugged out of the box were defective.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Because a blade doesn't work for you (or the OP) means only that it doesn't work for you. It doesn't mean "there are better blades out there" for somebody who isn't you.

As far as mild razors....BIC was the first blade in my r41 to be able to comfortably take care of the tricky stubble on the crown of my head. I bought 100 shortly thereafter. I'll buy 100 more in Cambodia next month ($10/100).

Per refinedshave objective testing they are after a use or two as sharp as Feather on initial use which is not everyone's cup of tea. Their QC is also not great I've had to bin more defective BICs out of the box than any other of my regular blades. BIC blades that have tugged out of the box were defective.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Of course my opinion is regarding my shave with that blade..??? ....I'm glad they work for you.

Top Bottom